Wicked Lit Scaring Up October in L.A.
For those craving something a little higher brow from the annual haunts and mazes, L.A.’ s Wicked Lit has fast become one of the city’s most buzzed about October attractions.
Taking place inside the catacomb-like Mountain View Mausoleum, the folks at Unbound Productions adapt some of the best classic macabre stories – ranging from Poe to Lovecraft to Irving – and spin it into guided theatre performances for the masses. This writer took in one of their shows last year and found it to be one of the more impressive experiences in the Halloween season.
Tickets are available now through their website and are sure to sell out FAST – so be sure to grab ’em while they’re still available.
From the Press Release
Unbound Productions Executive Director Jonathan Josephson, Artistic Director Paul Millet, and Producing Artistic Director Jeff G. Rack have announced details for WICKED LIT 2014, the 6th annual immersive theatre event that will take place at Mountain View Mausoleum and Cemetery in Altadena, California.
The production will run from October 3-November 8, 2014, and feature world premiere adaptations of Las Lloronas (The Weeping Women), inspired by the Mexican folktale “La Llorona” (“The Weeping Woman”) and actual events, adapted by Josephson (2013 Humana Festival of New American Plays) and directed by Millet (Smoke and Mirrors, 2012 LA Times Critic’s Pick); Bram Stoker’s Dracula’s Guest (the previously unpublished first chapter of the novel Dracula), adapted by John Leslie (Theatre 40 Company Member) and directed by Rack (special effects for Planet of the Apes); and The Monk, inspired by the 1796 novel by Matthew Gregory Lewis, adapted by Douglas Clayton (The 24th Annual LA Stage Alliance Ovation Awards) and directed by Debbie McMahon (Grand Guignolers).
The production will also include a pre-show and interstitial “frame” inspired by the German Wulpurgisnacht festival, conceived and directed by Charlie Mount (Against the Wall, 2014 LA Times’ Critic’s Pick) and Aurora Long (On the Edge Theatre Productions).
The cast of 22 will include 8 veterans of Unbound Productions as well as many actors who are new to the company. Returning actors include:
- John T. Cogan – The Unnamable (WL10, WL11)
- Bianca Gisselle – The Cask of Amontillado (WL11), The Masque of the Red Death Experience (WL13)
- Melissa Perl – The Unnamable (WL11), The Dead Smile (WL12)
- Eric Harris – The Chimes (WL10, WL11) The Dead Smile (WL12) The Lurking Fear (WL13)
- William Joseph Hill – Pigeons From Hell (WL09), Cask (WL10, WL11), Count Magnus (WL12)
- Eric Keitel – The Body Snatcher (WL11), Two Pictures in One (History Lit), The Dead Smile (WL12), The Tell-Tale Heart (ScareLA 2013), The Lurking Fear (WL13)
- Richard Large – The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (WL09), The Chimes (WL10, WL11), A Ghost Story (TCG)