“>Every genre deserves to be appreciated, and horror’s no different. For the past six years, fans have nominated and voted on their favorites in various categories that represent the best of classic horror. That’s right, the fans. There are no corporate sponsors, no money machines, no huge studios hyping the event, just fans naming what they liked and how much they liked it. With categories such as “Best Toy” and “Best Fan Event,” the awards aim to honor those who deserve it the most for delivering to the horror fans.
Named for character actor Rondo Hatton, whose frightening visage brought him the most fame as his role of the spine-snapping “Creeper” from the 1946 film House of Horrors, the awards are likenesses of the bust of the man from the same movie.
Competition was stiff this year, with nearly 3000 fans voting in categories ranging from “Best Horror Host” to “Count Alucard’s Controversy of the Year.” The award ceremony will be held at Wonderfest in Louisville, Kentucky, this July. For more information and lists of past winners, head over to their official website. Below is a complete list of this year’s honorees. Congratulations to all winners!
- Best Movie of 2007: Rob Zombie’s Halloween
- Best TV Presentation: The BBC’s “Doctor Who” episode, “Blink”
- Best Classic DVD: Nosferatu: The Ultimate Edition
- Best Classic DVD Collection: Universal Horror Classic Movie Archive
- Best Restoration: Nosferatu: The Ultimate Edition
- Best DVD Extra: Bonus disc on Halloween: The Happy Haunting of America
- Best DVD Commentary: Malcolm McDowell, A Clockwork Orange
- Best Independent Production: Vampira the Movie
- Best Book: Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark, by Tim Lucas
- Best Magazine: Rue Morgue
- Best Article: “Adult Fairy Tales & Frustrated Love Stories: The Cinematic Legacy of Terence Fisher” by Neal Barrow, Little Shoppe of Horrors #19
- Best Cover: Scary Monsters Magazine #64 by Terry Beatty
- Best Website or Blog: Trailersfromhell.com
- Best Convention: Monster Bash
- Best Fan Event: Monroeville Mall Zombie Walk
- Best Horror Host (active): Penny Dreadful
- Best Horror Audio Site or Podcast: Cult Radio a Go-Go
- Best CD: Mysterious Island soundtrack
- Best Horror Comic Book: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Road Home by Joss Whedon
- Best Toy, Model or Collectible: Universal Monster action figures by Toy Island
- Count Alucard’s Controversy of the Year: Fans object when new releases are packaged with films they already have.
- DVD Company of the Year: Anchor Bay
- Monster Kid of the Year: Michael Schlesinger of Sony.
- Monster Kid Hall of Fame: Cortlandt Hull and Dennis Vincent; Bernie Wrightson; Archie Goodwin; Ed ‘Big Daddy’ Roth; Ghoulardi; and Ben Chapman.
Discuss Rondo’s oddly shaped head in the Dread Central forums!