Back again for episode 5 this week is a new episode of Casualty Friday, our new favorite podcast from the FANGORIA Podcast Network. Casualty Friday features in-depth conversations about life in the horror business from three genre staples; Felissa Rose, Kane Hodder, and Tiffany Shepis.
Each week the trio discuss interesting and unexpected topics regarding horror, and this week they talk about what it’s like to be a parent in the horror community. All 3 hosts are parents themselves and address a number of interesting elements of being a horror star parent while also offering tips and insights for raising your kids in a pro-horror household. The topics discussed include:
- How & when to introduce horror to your children
- How to talk to your kids about violence in movies
- What does career day look like when you make a living butchering people on screen (in the case of Kane Hodder)?
- How children react to seeing their own parents kill and die on-screen
- Putting your own children in horror movies
- And Tiffany Shepis specifically discusses introducing your child to The Exorcist (and whether or not that’s really a good idea)
In the case of all 3, their children have spent time with them on set and have insider knowledge of how movies and special effects are made, which makes them a little tougher than most kids since they know it’s make-believe. But regardless, this episode does a great job at grappling with the questions many horror-fan parents need to consider when introducing their children to horror in a healthy way.