With The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Washington Irving established the Headless Horseman as America’s first native-born horror villain. The story and that character have both remained iconic for closing in on two-centuries—no small feat in the age of waning attention spans and celebrity flavors of the month. If you’re a fan, you’ll definitely want to check out the Sleepy Hollow International Film Festival in the actual town of Sleepy Hollow; it runs from October 10th thru 13th.
Here’s a rundown of what awaits attendees:
- D23-The Official Disney Fan Club celebrates the 70th anniversary of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow;
- 20th anniversary presentation: Tim Burton’s Sleepy Hollow;
- A special celebration of Brian DePalma’s Phantom of Paradise;
- Salutes to the legendary Dark Shadows and TV’s hit series Sleepy Hollow;
- Bicentennial celebration of the original Washington Irving story;
- Special guests, live events and so much more to be announced!
From the festival’s press release:
2019 marks the 200th anniversary of Washington Irving’s classic tale, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, an iconic American original of immortal wonders that have firmly gripped the very psyche of our culture. This special place, this remarkable hollow of the indescribable, bewitched not only Irving, but also artists of every creative pursuit for the next two centuries—including masters of the cinematic arts.
Sleepy Hollow International Film Festival celebrates this legacy of artistic inspiration and achievement. More info and further updates, including film and screenplay submission instructions, are available via the website www.sleepyhollowfilmfest.com.