In terms of, “Oh shit, it’s finally here!” announcements from E3, it doesn’t get much more exciting for me than Cyberpunk 2077. First announced at E3 2013, we haven’t heard anything about the game for five years. The original cinematic trailer ended with the infuriatingly vague release date of “when it’s ready.” Well, it seems like we might finally be getting closer to that “ready” point. There still isn’t a hard set release date, but there are some hints hidden in the trailer. As reported by IGN, here’s a copy of the text hidden in their trailer:
It’s been over 2077 days since we announced our plan to develop Cyberpunk2077. We released a CGI trailer, gave some interviews and…went dark. Normal procedure for these kinds of things – you announce a game and then shut up, roll up your sleeves, and go to work. We wanted to give you The Witcher 3 and both expansions first, which is why this period of staying silent was longer than we planned. Sorry for that.
As soon as we concluded work on Blood and Wine, we were able to go full speed ahead with CP2077’s pre-production. But we chose to remain silent. Why? At some point, we made a decision to resume talking about the game only when we have something to show. Something meaningful and substantial. This is because we do realize you’ve been (im)patiently waiting for a very long time and we wouldn’t want anyone to feel that we’re taking this for granted. On the contrary – it gives us a lot of extra motivation. The hype is real, so the sweat and tears need to be real too :).
But, to the point. Today is the day. If you’re seeing this, it means you saw the trailer – our vision of Cyberpunk, an alternative version of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilized life, and gangs rule the rest. And while this world is full of adrenaline, don’t let the car chases and guns mislead you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a true story-driven single player RPG. You’ll be able to create your own character and… well, you’ll get to know the rest from what we show at our booth at E3. Be on the lookout for the previews!
Before we finish, you probably have some questions.
- When? When we told you we would only release the game when it’s ready, we meant it. We’re definitely much, much closer to a release date than we were back then :), but it’s still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us – it’s the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.
- How Big? Seriously big, but… to be honest, we have no bloody clue at this point in time. Once we put it all together, we will openly tell you what you can expect. And we promise we’ll do this before we start talking about any pre-orders or ask anything of you.
- Free DLC/Expansions/DRM? Expect nothing less than you got with The Witcher 3. As for DRM, CP2077 will be 100% DRM free on PC.
- Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?
Once again, thank you for your patience. If you have a minute, do visit cyberpunk.net and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you post and we treat it very seriously.
CD PROJEKT RED Team
I’m excited to see if any more news comes out during the PC Gaming or Sony showcases, and I’ll be sure to keep you up to date as I learn more. Until then, make sure to follow our social media tag #DreadE3 and you can also read all our other coverage right here!
- virgo02 I really liked the movie when it came out and I still do. I just watched it the other day. I still can't believe they took away the sibling part of the movie. That too me made it more suspenseful. The...
- Nick Greeley Nice clickbait. It’s OLD news that H20 started as a passion project for her, but everything fell apart when Carpenter and Hill didn’t come back, and Moustapha Akkad refused to let the writers kill...
- Mackey Would be awesome if Amazon or Netflix could save "The Exorcist" too
- One-Eye I remember it as being one of the better post SCREAM slasher movies. I certainly haven't watched it since then.
- One-Eye I kind of dig how Osment is just like "Yeah, I'm fat and have a big, bushy beard. And that's how I'm gonna stay now..."
Join the Box of Dread Mailing List
Remember CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON’S QUEST’s Controversial Nintendo Power Cover?
THE FIRST PURGE Director On Bringing Real-Life Horror to the Series
Blumhouse’s UPGRADE Gets Claymation Poster Treatment
Bram Stoker’s SHADOWBUILDER w/ Rooker and Todd Hits Blu-ray in August
Fantasia 2018 Second Wave Films Include Blumhouse’s HURT
Bill Skarsgard on Stephen King’s IT: CHAPTER 2’s Adult Cast
Hollywood Science Fiction Museum Founder Arrested on Child Pornography Charges
5 Zombie Films That Flipped The Script
Gender Bashing: Manly Spectacle in PREDATOR
New Stephen King Movie TRAPPED Announced by Richard Chizmar
HEREDITARY – Interview with Writer-Director Ari Aster and the Cast
THE MIMIC – Exclusive Clip Introduces Us to The Girl
Dinosaurs Make Lousy Organ Donors in the TRIASSIC WORLD Trailer
Exclusive: Dinosaurs, Golden Retrievers, and PREHYSTERIA! Oh My!
Exclusive: Creepy Forest Monsters Gonna Creep in THE RAKE
Editorials3 days ago
Let’s Explain the Ending to HEREDITARY
News3 days ago
FRIDAY THE 13TH Meets MEAN GIRLS in FAT CAMP MASSACRE
News3 days ago
Netflix Steps in to #SaveLUCIFER
News6 days ago
Hulu’s CASTLE ROCK Will Be Filled With Stephen King Easter Eggs
News3 days ago
Jamie Lee Curtis Did HALLOWEEN: H20 For the Paycheck
Reviews4 days ago
HELL’S KITTY Review – This Little Feline Sure Ain’t No Pu**y!
Drinking With the Dread5 days ago
Drinking With The Dread: A PREDATOR and PREDATOR 2 Double Down!
News4 days ago
AHS Season 8 Officially Coven/Murder House Crossover!