Believe it or not, it’s now been 46 years since Vampirella first appeared on the printed page. That’s 46 years of beautiful comic artwork, some of which is collected in the upcoming book The Best of Vampirella Magazine Art Edition. It hits shelves in September, the same month that Vampirella turns 47.
From the Press Release:
Following the widely celebrated release of Jose Gonzalez’s Vampirella Art Edition, Dynamite Entertainment is proud to announce the next treasure trove of classic horror: The Best of Vampirella Magazine Art Edition.
Terror aficionados, prepare to be bewitched and bedeviled! The Best of Vampirella Magazine is a glorious hardcover treasury of actual storyboard artwork from the heyday of horror comics, scanned in high-resolution color to capture the look of the artwork as originally illustrated, with all blue lines, corrections, editorial notes, and other distinctive creative elements intact. Each scan is then printed on heavy stock paper to give readers a more realistic experience of what it would be like to hold actual storyboard pages.
Over a dozen mesmerizing tales appear in their entirety, stories ranging from Vampirella Magazine #9 (January 1971) to Issue #112 (October 1979). Featuring contributions from such comic luminaries as Jeffrey Jones, Auraleon, Jose Ortiz, and Luis Bermejo (to name a few), this hardcover Art Edition preserves and celebrates the meticulous skill and hard work of the artists that defined the horror comic medium!
“Vampirella is not only one of the cornerstones of Dynamite’s publishing line, but the history of horror comics,” says Dynamite CEO/Publisher Nick Barrucci. “After the reception we received with our collection of Jose Gonzalez’s iconic pages, we knew we had to pay tribute to some of our other favorite art from Vampirella’s classic Warren publications. We wholeheartedly believe that The Best of Vampirella Magazine is an essential addition to every horror comic fan’s bookshelf… that is, if they have a bookshelf big enough for it!”
This beautiful oversized edition features over 150 pages of art, and includes the following Vampirella Magazine stories in their completion:
• Vampirella Magazine #9: “Vampi’s Feary Tales: Lilith” by Nicola Cuti (w) and Jeffrey Jones (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #17: “Lover of the Bayou” by Jan Strnad (w) and Luis Roca (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #20: “Love is No Game” by Steve Skeates (w) and Luis Garcia (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #20: “Vengeance, Brother, Vengeance” by Greg Potter (w) and Luis Dominguez (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #21: “The Vampiress Stalks the Castle This Night” by Don McGregor (w) and Felix Mas (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #24: “Middle-Am” by Steve Skeates (w) and Esteban Maroto (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #25: “The Dead Howl at Midnight” by W. Eaton (w) and Jose Bea (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #39: “The French Coagulation” by Carl Wessler (w), Gerry Boudreau (w), and Luis Bermejo (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #39: “The Head-Hunter of London” by John Michael Butterworth (w) and Leopoldo Sanchez (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #39: “Sultan of 42nd Street” by Carl Wessler (w), Gerry Boudreau (w), and Felix Mas (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #41: “The Wickford Witches” by Gerry Boudreau (w) and Jose Ortiz (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #45: “The Winter of Their Discontent” by Gerry Boudreau (w) and Isidro Mones (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #47: “Gamal and the Cockatrice” by Bruce Bezaire (w) and Auraleon (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #53: “The Last Man Syndrome” by Roger McKenzie (w) and Ramon Torrents (a)
• Vampirella Magazine #82: “Prey for the Wolf” by Cary Bates (w) and Brian Lewis (a)
The Best of Vampirella Magazine Art Edition will be solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors’ July 2016 Previews catalog, the premier source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market, and slated for release in September priced at $150.00. Collectors are encouraged to reserve copies of this limited edition collection with their local comic book retailers.