Each year we set aside time to grab some quick and usually odd eye candy for you to dig upon from the San Diego Comic-Con. This year we follow suit with carnivorous inflatable sharks, giant albino gorillas, zombies in meat grinders, and even the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!
You don’t even need to cross your streams!
Here’s where we snagged a few of the below shots:
Brings the FX network’s buzziest and most beloved shows to life through an interactive combination of art and technology. Taking center stage once again on the lawn of the Hilton San Diego Bayfront Hotel, FXhibition 2018 will incorporate Near Field Communication (NFC) technology for the first time as part of innovative installations from hit shows such as Legion, American Horror Story, Mayans M.C., and Archer. Fans may register in advance at FXSDCC.com and use NFC on-site to record each moment of their personalized journey through the space, which will be captured in a virtual online gallery. FXhibition will be open to the public as follows: Thursday 12noon-6pm; Friday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Sunday 10am-2pm
FX’s recent Los Angeles-based pop-up “The LEGION Chamber” art installation will make its Comic-Con debut, allowing cosplayers the thrilling opportunity to immerse themselves in an audiovisual experience commissioned by the internationally-acclaimed Marco Brambilla Studio. Once inside, participants will find themselves disconnected from the outside world – literally – and fully entrenched in the hypnotic digital realm of David Haller.
Fans will also have the opportunity to step inside the “AMERICAN HORROR STORY Eccentricities Gallery,” featuring a collection of art and oddities inspired by AHS lore. The experience is aided by Augmented Reality (AR) technology, which reveals the secrets behind the objects and clues to the series’ upcoming eighth installment.
EDITOR’S NOTE: There were no pictures allowed in the American Horror Story Eccentricities Gallery, but believe us when we tell you it’s worth the wait. No spoilers for you… just go!
AMC’s Dead Quarters
Fans of The Walking Dead and Fear The Walking Dead can get excited about the return of Dead Quarters, AMC’s zombie fan zone located on Martin Luther King Promenade, in front of the Hilton Gaslamp Hotel (4th Avenue and L Street, across from the convention center). This year’s offsite will feature an immersive experience with a curated walk through the settings of both series, including The Sanctuary, and a “thrilling 22-foot Zombie slide” inspired by the one from Fear The Walking Dead. There will also be photo opportunities with the walker composter and Negan’s flaming Lucille.
Grandesign (San Diego’s largest ad agency) is bringing several immersive activations to “The Experience” during San Diego Comic-Con. The Experience – a new venture in collaboration with the San Diego Padres – brings comic book enthusiasts an over-the-top interactive zone for all to enjoy outside of the Convention Center.
From July 19-22, 2018, the three-acre blacktop will transform into a pop-culture playground equipped with food trucks, VIP lounges, evening entertainment, and a myriad of activations from some of the largest Comic-Con-esque brands. Activations include:
- Sony Pictures Entertainment’s “Ghostbusters World” — in collaboration with Ghost Corps, the game’s publisher FourThirtyThree Inc. (4:33) and developer NextAge — invites attendees to experience the new augmented reality game for smartphones at its first public demo. While attendees wait their turn in line for the first chance to battle and capture the ghosts populating The Experience, they can try on authentic Ghostbusters costumes, pose with the original Ecto-1, and awe at the towering Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
- In celebration of Shark Week’s 30th anniversary premiering July 22nd at 8 pm on Discovery Channel, Sharkzilla will be taking over San Diego during Comic-Con. The 40-foot long inflatable shark will be outside the Convention Center ready for photos with fans. In addition, every hour Sharkzilla will bare its teeth and chomp everyday items – from lifeguard towers to beach chairs, and there will be plenty of jawsome Shark Week swag for fans to enjoy.
- Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger on Freeform recreates the iconic moment Tyrone and Tandy’s powers interact by fabricating a physical experience where participants are harnessed to a bungee that propels them backwards from the force of their powers. A slow-motion recording captures the moment in an overlay effect that shows both the light and dark energy emitting from participants.
- Samsung brings the ultimate 4K gaming experience via a tricked-out semi-truck outfitted with custom-built gaming pods and its newest line of QLED TVs. Fans are invited to compete for the fastest winning time in Forza Motorsport 7 on Xbox One X to win premium prizes from Samsung and Xbox – an unbeatable combination.
- PlayerUnkown’s Battleground Mobile (PUBG MOBILE) is providing an immersive experience throughout the event, including a community gathering, a fully-branded entrance and exit, roaming charging stations for those in need, IGN live and GameSpot’s Comic-Con Twitter Moments, giveaways that include branded swags, postcards with exclusive in-game rewards, and much more.
The Experience takes place all day at the Lexus Premier Lot and is open to Comic-Con badge holders, who will enjoy VIP status, and the general public.