Often called “The Mother of all Italian horror films”, Dario Argento’s Suspiria continues to be a source of inspiration and terror. Today brings word that Synapse Films will be re-releasing Suspira (originally released in 1977) on stunning 4K UHD! It will include some stunning bonus features, which you can read about below.
Dario Argento’s hallucinatory masterpiece Suspiria will be presented in a two-disc UHD+Blu-ray package that blows every previous release of the movie out of the water. Synapse has gone back to the 4K scans that served as the source for their widely acclaimed Blu-ray presentation of the film and started from scratch in order to fully take advantage of the opportunities created by UHD. Synapse President Don May, Jr. says, “We went back to the original 4K files and did a new color correction that took full advantage of the UHD format’s expanded color and high dynamic range capabilities.” You might have seen Suspiria in the past, but now you can experience it in a whole new way!
Jessica Harper stars in this frightening tale of a young student who uncovers dark and horrific secrets within the walls of a famous German dance academy. What spirals out from that simple premise is one of the most powerful and hallucinatory nightmares ever captured on celluloid!
Dario Argento’s Suspiria comes to home video from Synapse Films in an exclusive new 4K restoration from the original uncut, uncensored 35mm Italian camera negative with the original theatrical 4.0 English surround sound mix. Synapse Films’ award-winning, beautifully restored version of Dario Argento’s Suspiria was completed with the supervision and approval of the film’s Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli. Now available for the first time ever on home video in a true 2160p 4K presentation with High Dynamic Range and a new Dolby Atmos remix!
RELEASE WILL INCLUDE A 1080p BLU-RAY DISC OF SPECIAL FEATURES!
- A new 4K restoration of the original uncut, uncensored Italian 35mm camera negative exclusively done by Synapse Films, with color correction supervised and approved by SUSPIRIA Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli
- Original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix not heard since the theatrical release in 1977, presented in high-resolution DTS-HD MA 96kHz/24-bit audio, with newly translated removable English SDH subtitles
- All-new Dolby Atmos Remix and High Dynamic Range Presentation
- Italian 5.1 surround mix, with removable English subtitle translation
- Two audio commentaries by authors and Argento scholars, Derek Botelho, David Del Valle and Troy Howarth
- “Do You Know Anything About Witches?” – 30-minute SUSPIRIA visual essay written, edited and narrated by Michael Mackenzie
- “Suzy in Nazi Germany” – Featurette on the German locations from SUSPIRIA
- “A Sigh from the Depths: 40 Years of SUSPIRIA” – All-new anniversary retrospective on the making of the film and its influence on cinema
- “Olga’s Story” – Interview with star Barbara Magnolfi
- Original theatrical trailers, TV spots and radio spots
- “International Classics” English “Breathing Letters” opening credit sequence from the U.S. release
- Alternate All-English opening and closing credits sequences, playable via seamless branching
- New O-Card/Reversible Slipcover art by Wes Benscoter
Are you a fan of Dario Argento’s Suspiria? Does Synapse Films’ re-release sound like something you’d like to add to your collection? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram! You can also carry on the convo with me personally on Twitter @josh_millican.