Verbinski Helms BioShock Film!

BioShock film gets a helmer!Variety has learned that Pirates of the Caribbean/The Ring helmer Gore Verbinski has been brought on board by Universal to direct BioShock (review), the film based on the incredibly good and incredibly original Xbox 360 game that was released last year and won the hearts of fans across the world almost immediately.

I have to admit I really didn’t see this one coming! Though it’s been rumored for a while now that a movie version of BioShock was in the works, the scale of the film wasn’t really understood until today.

What made BioShock so special, aside from its amazing underwater setting, is the incredibly strong narrative; you play a man whose plane crashes in the middle of the ocean, mere feet from the entrance to Rapture, an underwater city built by the brilliant but possibly insane Andrew Ryan that was supposed to be Utopia for artists and creative people. But something went very wrong, and through the course of your journey, you begin to find out what...

It’s a safe bet that the story will remain intact from game to film. "I think the whole utopia-gone-wrong story that's cleverly unveiled to players is just brimming with cinematic potential," Verbinski told the trade. "Of all the games I've played, this is one that I felt has a really strong narrative."

Keep it here for more BioShock updates as we learn them!

- Johnny Butane

Would you kindly visit us over in the Dread Central forums?

Chainsaw's picture

I expect every ounce of meaning and philosophy from the game to go right out the window now.

And Orlando Bloom as the lead.

Submitted by Chainsaw on Mon, 05/12/2008 - 7:56am.
Spaceshark's picture

Johhny: You should have seen me after my Silent Hill rampage. Now I'm not allowed to go near gas cans.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Fri, 05/09/2008 - 7:55pm.
Messiahman's picture

Yay, another video-game movie. After all, it's not like every other video-game adaptation has completely sucked ass or anything. No, it's not like that at all.

But hey, at least we have a director with true vision behind it. We've got a guy whose artistic claim to fame comes from Japanese remakes and movies based on theme park rides.

Pardon me while I go open a vein.

Submitted by Messiahman on Fri, 05/09/2008 - 1:02pm.
moderator Actually with Verbinski

Actually with Verbinski behind it, i'm feeling pretty good!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Fri, 05/09/2008 - 12:37pm.
Johnny Butane's picture

Big fan of the game, are ya? Or just looking for a reason to through ressurected cats at movie execs?

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Fri, 05/09/2008 - 11:44am.
Spaceshark's picture

zomg. I pray to God that it won't be the case but if they screw this up I am going to kill every fucking kitten I see in a 25 mile radius, stitch their carcasses, use electricity to revive the abomination that I will dub frankencat, then hurl it at a Universal exec's face.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Fri, 05/09/2008 - 10:01am.