*UPDATE!* X-Files 3 Direct to DVD?

X-Files 3 direct to DVD?**UPDATE: Frank Spotnitz has "debunked" this rumor already in his official blog. All well and fine; just keep in mind these haven't been the most revealing of creative teams in the history of entertainment...**

In the latest X-Files movie, X-Files: I Want to Believe (review), a psychic pedophile priest taught us to "never give up." Even though we all gave up on it years ago, that hasn't stopped the creators from developing plans for further Mulder & Scully adventures. In response to our skewering of IWTB, an industry insider contacted us with this bit of info:

"I understand - there was room for improvement ... and there still might be. I work for Screaming Death Monkey and Spotnitz - the TERRIFIC Frank Spotnitz - told us this week that the team have already spoken about the next X-Files film. It's likely the next release will go direct to DVD - but they're working on the assumption they'll have a similar budget."

This is probably just wishful thinking from Carter & Spotnitz but if IWTB does well on DVD, it could very well become a reality. Looks like Gillian Anderson might have to dust off her phony British accent yet again!

The next movie will most likely focus on the discussed 2012 storyline (with more scenes of Scully blubbering) but unless Glen Morgan & James Wong are involved, count us out. Personally, I hope Fox just waits 10 years and reboots the series with better writers (a la “Battlestar Galactica”) so we can finally have a mythology that goes somewhere.

- Andrew Kasch

GET YOURSELF SOMETHING COOL FROM EVILSHOP!
Find things other than aliens to probe you in the Dread Central forums!

I still have hopes for another X-Files movie, one that is hopefully much better than IWTB, and I have hopes that Morgan & Wong or Vince Gilligan or someone else other than Carter/Spotnitz write it and that someone other than Carter directs it.

I'd love a series of low-budget movies, or even TV movies.

I think they need to get them back into the FBI and re-establish the old status quo or tell stories set in the past (which is, I think, what the upcoming Wildstorm comic will be doing) and just try to make some fun, scary, conspiracy-y flicks.

Submitted by G.D. on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 8:29pm.

Complete Bullshite.

I really hate to burst all you X-Files haters bubbles but this is complete bullshit. Way to go Dread Central for being the first out of the gate to declare your inimitable reportage integrity!

The ''terrific'' Frank Spotnitz, (the only truthful part of this ''information'') has just replied to this sparkling bit of bona fide insider'info' on his blog:

''Don't worry...-- the rumor is false. The Internet report you read is completely made up.''

Congrats on being such an amazing and reliable source of news!

Submitted by calraigh on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 3:21pm.
Johnny Butane's picture

You did note, calraigh, the skepticism in the original story, yes? The whole "wishful thinking" line and all that?

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 4:36pm.
Sirand's picture

The only thing as questionable as internet rumors are damage-control "answers" so excuse me if I take that one-sentence blog with a grain of salt...even though it hardly matters one way or the other (note the article's skepticism). I seem to recall Carter & Spotnitz saying they had a "planned out mythology" for XF too...and we all know that was bullshit.

And if you "hate to burst all the XF haters bubbles" wouldn't Spotnitz's denial be GOOD news?

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 3:45pm.

Maybe do some reading on the blog in question before trotting out the same ol', same ol' 'damage control' response guff. Spotnitz's blog is one of the best around; he's knows exactly whats going on.

And yes, you're right, Spotnitz's denial IS good news. The '' bubble'' in question pertains to the previous commenter's delight in this 'news' . You clearly missed this point.

Submitted by calraigh on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 4:01pm.
Sirand's picture

I don't recall anyone being "delighted" by the news. Anyway, as with all third-party scoops on the internet, 9 times out of 10 its just the creators running their mouths off...which is why the article said this news was "wishful thinking."

And, yes, I read the blog in question. Still don't buy it. The day the XF creators actually tell the truth to the press is the day I change my name to Belinda Whoreshpinkle.

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 4:13pm.

Well, you better get your documents in order Belinda! (Whorespinkle really is a touch of genius, I must say)

Spotnitz has been relaying news direct from the horse's mouth all year on his blog, in relation to IWTB and the series in general. Literally every single piece of information he's been asked to verify( and believe me, there's lots) he has done so. He's also been the go-to for a lot of the fanbase regarding release dates, premieres, cast lists, you name it. Why exactly would you think he wouldn't be in the loop as it pertains to his own film? Strange attitude to take. It's also a bit juvenile to still be thinking that Spotnitz et al have some sort of disdain for the press. When they have to ( and by god did they have to when it came down to it this time round) they'll shill as good as the rest of 'em.

It's bullshit, plain and simple. '' I Want to Believe'' does indeed seem to be the mantra in this case.

Submitted by calraigh on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 4:30pm.
Sirand's picture

I think Spotnitz was just babbling speculation to people and is back-peddling cause of the negative response.

Of course no one can prove anything here. It's all speculative. In this case, I trust the "horse's mouth" about as much as I believe phony werewolf pictures.

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 4:53pm.
moderator Ah yes! Pictures planted to

Ah yes! Pictures planted to "raise hopes" and throw people off the real scent of the film which unfortunately ended up being the stench of shit. IWTB might as well have been DTV. It probably would have performed better monetarily.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 9:22pm.
Chainsaw's picture

They didn't mention the fact that after Spotnitz said that, they could hear audible snickering over the phone.

Submitted by Chainsaw on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 10:52am.
ImTheMoon's picture

I'm sticking with my "there is no second x-files movie" stance it's served me well, and in that light this info doesn't exist either.

Submitted by ImTheMoon on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 9:26am.
MagusMaleficus's picture

"Personally, I hope Fox just waits 10 years and reboots the series with better writers (a la 'Battlestar Galactica') so we can finally have a mythology that goes somewhere."

I agree. Sadly, though, we'd be up to our necks in a sea of fanboys crying foul--just as they did for "Battlestar."

Submitted by MagusMaleficus on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 7:03am.
Foywonder's picture

"the TERRIFIC Frank Spotnitz"

Yeah, I'm sure he's a great guy in real life but I saw that god awful reboot of Kolchak the Night Stalker. "TERRIFIC" isn't the adjective I'd use.

Submitted by Foywonder on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 5:01am.
jonny_numb's picture

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I can't believe I made it through the entire pilot episode of that rubbish.

Submitted by jonny_numb on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 10:52am.