Trailers for New Romero, Thaw & Hybrid!

A whole slew of trailers have appeared on the official site for Voltage Pictures, the guys behind a lot of cool upcoming horror titles like Eduardo Sanchez’s Seventh Moon. Instead of boring you with multiple stories about one thing, how about one story about multiple things?

Hybrid poster & trailer!Yeah, not sure where I was going with that either. All right, in order of importance (at least to most) here are three of those aforementioned trailers.

Not to be confused with the Studio 407/Myriad film of the same name, though I’m sure it will be, Hybrid is the latest from One Missed Call/Malefique helmer Eric Valette. From the Voltage site:

Late one night, a mysterious car is brought into the Chicago police impound garage after a deadly traffic accident. The garage's female mechanic, Tilda, and her young, hip fellow mechanics soon discover the car has a mind of its own. It morphs into different cars to confuse them, and instead of needing an engine to run, it breathes. It's a killing machine that is capable of outrunning and outwitting humans.

Sounds like a lot of fun to me! Dig the trailer below:

The Thaw trailer!All right, next up is the Val Kilmer-starrer The Thaw, which is coming from the same guys who brought you Fido. We’ve been covering this one for a while now so it’s very cool to see something real from it finally.

Officially, the film is about a girl who travels with fellow ecological students to celebrate the discovery her father has made of the body of a woolly mammoth in a melting polar ice cap, hoping this indication of rapidly changing climate will increase awareness of the issues. Instead they find the camp abandoned and a deadly prehistoric parasite has been released.

The trailer is sufficiently gory, methinks, but judge for yourself below!

...Of the Dead trailer!Finally ... finally ... a trailer for George A. Romero’s still-untitled zombie movie, which for the purposes of this article we'll just continue calling George A. Romero’s ...Of the Dead. I really hope that title doesn’t stick.

From the Voltage site again: On a small island off North America's coast, the dead rise to menace the living. Yet...the islanders can't bring themselves to exterminate their loved ones, despite the growing danger from those they once held dear. A rebel among them hunts down all the zombies he can find, only to be banished from the island for assassinating his neighbors and friends. On the mainland, bent on revenge, he encounters a small band of survivors in search of an oasis on which to build a new life. Barely surviving an attack from a mass of ravenous flesh-eaters, they commandeer a zombie-infested ferry and sail to the island. There, to their horror, they discover that the locals have chained the dead inside their homes, pretending to live 'normal' lives...with bloody consequences. What ensues is a desperate struggle for survival and the answer to a question never posed in Romero's Dead films: Can the living ever live in peace with the dead?

Dig the trailer and look for a very familiar face in the first few seconds of the action. If you correctly identify who it is, you’ll win a prize! Not sure what it is yet, probably a date with Nomad (those are easiest), but it could be something you'll actually want, too!

Huge thanks go out to Voltage for giving us fans so much to look forward to in 2009! Keep it here for more on all three projects as we learn it!

- Johnny Butane

CHECK OUT DREAD CENTRAL’S NEW POSTER STORE!
Celebrate the video age in the Dread Central forums!

Chainsaw's picture

I dunno why, but OF THE DEAD actually sounds like a cool title for the movie!

Submitted by Chainsaw on Wed, 01/07/2009 - 12:38am.
moderator I think you guys will be

I think you guys will be very pleased. I saw a lot of cool shit while I was up there filming. This one has a lot of Dawn and Day in it. That's really all I can say at this time.

Rest assured I hand out some hardcore damage while I'm shambling about! Proudest moment of my life, man! Expect a set visit, tons of pictures (I have nearly 100), and my own personal Diary of the Dead, as soon as I get the OK!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 7:42pm.
RingoJ's picture

The trailer alone looks better than all of Diary of the Dead.

Submitted by RingoJ on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 5:47pm.
Johnny Butane's picture

Can I get a "hells yeah"!

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 5:54pm.
RingoJ's picture

I'll give you a "Drop it like it's hot"

Submitted by RingoJ on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 7:02pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

Hooray! Now two good reasons to look forward to this! UC of course but finally a plot description that sounds interesting. Although it does kind of make me think of how they handled the end of Shaun of the Dead.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 1:38pm.
moderator You've all spied correctly!

You've all spied correctly! Guess the cats out. Yes, I have lived my dream. I have become a zombie! Holy shit. It never felt real until just now.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 11:55am.
frank_dracman's picture

Those look pretty good except for Hybrid. So far I've never seen a killer car movie I've liked, and I think I've seen them all. There's just something incredibly nonthreatening about a car trying to run someone down. Run up a couple of stairs or hop over a crash rail and you'll be fine.
And yes, that sure looked like ol' Creepy.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 11:42am.

That's why the Daleks were never really all that in Doctor Who, which is why they had to get them flying in the end. I always thought you could hop on the back of one and get it to take you for a ride anyway...

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 2:32pm.
hellbilly_drp's picture

Definitely Uncle Creepy. I see a belt in the frame but I can't tell if Creepy is chowing on the guy's guts or ass...

The trailer looks great. Maybe since Uncle Creepy is in the flick it should be called George Romero's Fucking Dead, Dude.

All three trailers look pretty Badass.

Submitted by hellbilly_drp on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 11:46am.

Maybe Romero should just go and call it ZOMBIE MOVIE. That way he should be able to trick the MEET THE SPARTANS and SUPERHERO MOVIE crowd into coming to see his film and have his biggest box office success so far.

Submitted by Caterpillar on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 8:13am.
Enraged_Otter's picture

is that uncle creepy there at the 5 sec mark?

Submitted by Enraged_Otter on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 7:52am.

If that's not Creepy, then it's his evil twin... hang on... his good twin... or something like that... oh whatever!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 7:57am.
Johnny Butane's picture

It would be his good twin, yes... the UC we all know and "love" is evil to the core.

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 8:01am.

Amazingly I find all three trailers to be promising.

Submitted by Caterpillar on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 7:34am.
FilmCritic3000's picture

Hmmm...did I spy Mr. Barton there in the Romero zombie melee?

Submitted by FilmCritic3000 on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 6:55am.