The Truth About 1-15-08

Asylum's new mockbuster, MonsterI'm going to assume you've heard of this movie called Cloverfield, right? Giant monster, New York City, handheld footage: pretty much the Blair Zilla Project. I hear there's a lot of hype surrounding it. Something about a viral marketing campaign too. Lots of anticipation. Comes out on 1-18-08.

Now I'm going to assume you've also heard of a little company called The Asylum? They release cheaply produced knock-offs of big Hollywood blockbusters. Snakes on a Train, The Da Vinci Treasure, Transmorphers, I Am Omega: surely those titles ring a bell? They don't have the most stellar reputation when it comes to making creative decisions or particularly good movies.

2+2=4 the last time I checked so it should come as no shock that The Asylum has cooked up something to correspond with the release of Cloverfield. No doubt they had to wait like the rest of us to find out that Cloverfield was actually going to be called Cloverfield; that doesn't leave much time for creative titling. Besides, how do you come up with a title mimicking Cloverfield? Call it Shamrockfield? I guess that's why The Asylum just settled on calling the film plain ol' Monster.

Now before anyone scoffs, The Asylum has done something truly clever with their handheld camera P.O.V. giant monster movie: they filmed it on location in the very city most closely identified with being victimized by giant rampaging monsters - Tokyo, Japan. In Monster, a massive earthquake in Tokyo heralds the coming of some sort of gigantic monster. Two American filmmakers document the creatures rampage from street view with their own cameras.

The Asylum has just posted the trailer for Monster and I must say it looks like it could have potentional; I mean as far as shameless cash-ins piggybacking off of much more high profile productions go. Though I can't help but be somewhat amused that the shot-on-digital look of the film doesn't look all that different from what most Asylum productions look like.

And unlike Cloverfield keeping any glimpse of the monster a secret, the artwork and trailer for Monster give us something of a clue as to what to expect. Sorta. You see tentacles on the artwork and you'll see some monstrous tentacles flailing about in the trailer as well.

Wait a minute.

Female lead...
Japan...
Monster tentacles...
Uncensored version...

Oh, my.

You don't suppose The Asylum is going to go the tentacle rape route? Nah, hentai just doesn't seem to be their style. This might be the first production in history to involve a pretty female in Japan being terrorized by a tentacled monster that doesn't involve tentacle rape.

1-15-08 is the DVD release date for Monster. Yep, mere days before Cloverfield opens. The Asylum is nothing if not punctual.

- The Foywonder

Discuss what you would call your own mockbuster in the Dread Central forums!

Chainsaw's picture

So much unlike basketballs.

Submitted by Chainsaw on Tue, 12/04/2007 - 8:54pm.
Messiahman's picture

Trolls with grudges. What's not to love?!

Submitted by Messiahman on Tue, 12/04/2007 - 1:10pm.
Chainsaw's picture

I

DEMAND

RESIDUALS!!!

Submitted by Chainsaw on Tue, 12/04/2007 - 8:09am.

I'm sorry but if I ever do get into film making, it most certainly won't be to do a half assed, poor man's jaws/deep blue sea sci fi piece of crap. I have too much respect to do that, even for money.

Submitted by Fireflyfan on Tue, 12/04/2007 - 7:05am.

Seriously Foy? You think THIS has potential? Those tentacles are on par with the effects in "Bride of the Monster."

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 12/04/2007 - 6:38am.
admin moderator "''Screw an all horror based
Jon Condit's picture

"''Screw an all horror based cable channel. Give me a 24 hour station that only plays exploitation and cash-in flicks. ''

You mean like Shark Swarm? :D"

remind us again when your film is coming out? :P

Submitted by Jon Condit on Tue, 12/04/2007 - 6:08am.

You mean like Shark Swarm? :D

Submitted by Fireflyfan on Tue, 12/04/2007 - 3:48am.
Messiahman's picture

Honestly, if someone were to be a little mischievous and post this trailer online, saying it was actually CLOVERFIELD and not a knockoff, I doubt many would know the difference. They look about the same, sadly.

Submitted by Messiahman on Mon, 12/03/2007 - 5:41pm.
Azrael's picture

Sorry about the duplicate post.

I'm not sure how that happened.

Submitted by Azrael on Mon, 12/03/2007 - 2:06pm.
Azrael's picture

Great cover!

If the film is half as good as that cover it should be an entertaining flick.

And if it isn't, we can always put 'The Host' in the DVD player.

Submitted by Azrael on Mon, 12/03/2007 - 2:05pm.
Azrael's picture

Great cover!

If the film is half as good as that cover it should be an entertaining flick.

And if it isn't, we can always put 'The Host' in the DVD player.

Submitted by Azrael on Mon, 12/03/2007 - 2:05pm.

Submitted by Kryten Syxx on Mon, 12/03/2007 - 1:52pm.