SDCC 08: Suspiria Remake, Legend Prequel

Suspiria remake is still aliveAs Comic Con rolls on, the boys over at STYD got their ears tuned to two somewhat sad and disturbing bits of info; the remake of Suspiria is still moving forward, and a prequel to I Am Legend is in the works.

The second bit came from a conversation with Francis Lawrence, who directed the first film. He confirmed that it is being developed; they’re just trying to figure out what kind of story it will tell. Obviously it’ll be set far closer to the original outbreak than the first movie was. Will Smith has expressed interest in revisiting the character, as well, which I have to say I’m pretty happy about. He really did do a great job. More details are available at STYD.

The Suspiria news comes from Pineapple Express helmer David Gordon Green, who’s behind the Argento redux. He reported that the script is finally finished, now they’re just looking for someone with case who wants to make ”a really bold, distinctive and unique horror film. It's not the obvious... it doesn't slip naturally into the niche market of contemporary horror movies. It's something that I think has the potential to be classic and a lot more artistically-inclined than a lot of the contemporary horror stuff."

The original already is a classic, of course, so it’ll be interesting to see what’s changed and updated to make it so groundbreaking now. Chances are the movie will be made in Europe, since an Italian production company is developing it, then shop it for U.S. distribution. Which, I have to admit, is a relief. Learn more over at STYD!

- Johnny Butane

GET YOURSELF SOMETHING COOL FROM EVILSHOP!
Make your judgements on both below or in the Dread Central forums!

Blockbuster's picture

Uhhhhhh...I've seen the original Suspiria...and I guess I just didn't get it. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Maybe it's just me. Can someone explain what made Suspiria so great?

Submitted by Blockbuster on Sun, 07/27/2008 - 10:21am.
jonny_numb's picture

Once you take in Argento's screaming color schemes and the Goblin score, there really isn't much else under the surface of Suspiria.

Submitted by jonny_numb on Sun, 07/27/2008 - 12:59pm.
frank_dracman's picture

It's not just you, Blockbuster. I've watched it numerous times and still don't know what the hell is going on. I always tend to get bored and wander off. Remake might clear up some answers, so I'm game.
I am Legend prequel? ACK. They already slit the tender throat of a perfectly good story, why not poop down the neck? Thanks alot, douchebags.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Sun, 07/27/2008 - 11:27am.

I Am Legend prequel? We already know what happens. How about saving that money, handing it to a real talented director and he/she can make I AM Legend like it's supposed to be? Do we really need more wacky Will Smith and dog sidekick action? And CGI vampires? And Shrek? Over abundant product placement? A movie that doesn't fit the title? Another confusing final half hour with giant plot holes?

Submitted by Kryten Syxx on Sun, 07/27/2008 - 1:25am.
Chainsaw's picture

Also, it'll be called I Will Be Legend.

I hope it's just 2 hours of Will Smith in a laboratory, doing whatever the hell it is his character does.

Submitted by Chainsaw on Sun, 07/27/2008 - 1:39am.
Spaceshark's picture

As long as Mater what's-her-face gets another NBC Peacock to the neck, I'm game.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Sat, 07/26/2008 - 11:31pm.
Chainsaw's picture

...How do you make a prequel to I Am Legend?

Submitted by Chainsaw on Sat, 07/26/2008 - 11:24pm.
Lex Bastard's picture

<”a really bold, distinctive and unique horror film. It's not the obvious... it doesn't slip naturally into the niche market of contemporary horror movies. It's something that I think has the potential to be classic and a lot more artistically-inclined than a lot of the contemporary horror stuff.">

Sounds like this guy doesn't want to remake Suspiria; he wants to make the original Suspiria. Forget it, nimrod.

Submitted by Lex Bastard on Sat, 07/26/2008 - 10:13pm.