Saw IV Duo to Raise Hell

Dunstan and Melton on Hellraiser!Yes, it sucked when the guys who made Inside (review) were told their script for the Hellraiser remake wasn’t what the Weinstein Co. was looking for. Andrew had a nice tirade about it in the last Dinner for Fiends, actually, give it a listen. But this new development is promising...

STYD got word today that Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton, the writing duo behind Feast, Saw IV, Saw V, Midnight Man and more, have been brought on board by the Weinsteins to give the script a shot. Could these two be in any higher level of horror geek heaven?

Alexandra Bustillo and Julien Maury, the aforementioned duo behind Inside, will still be helming the pic, which the Weinsteins have settled on a January 9th, 2009 release date for. Should be an interesting way to start the year! Now we just have to hope these two are suitably disturbed enough to give us fans a movie worthy of the Hellraiser name ... since there haven’t been any since the third movie.

- Johnny Butane

Raise your own hell in the Dread Central forums!

thedudeabides's picture

I'm not a fan of Hellraiser at all. I think all of them are highly over rated, but that's just my opinion.

Submitted by thedudeabides on Mon, 02/18/2008 - 6:57am.
Johnny Butane's picture

I'm sorry, of the entire SERIES? Worse than BLOODLINES? You're crazy.

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Mon, 02/18/2008 - 5:41am.
Sirand's picture

Hellraiser III. Still the worst of the series.

Submitted by Sirand on Sun, 02/17/2008 - 6:28pm.

I enjoy Hellraiser III, but it basically turned Pinhead into a Freddy Krueger-knockoff spouting oneliners through half the film. Also, I feel Hellraiser V is very underrated. It isn't as good as the first two (few films are), but I think it's a whole lot closer in tone and to the mythos than all of the other sequels (except Hellraiser II). I know that Barker doesn't like that one, but I feel it's true nonetheless. The rest are trash though. The fourth one was a convoluted mess and Parts 6-8 are wretched.

Submitted by Caine Is Able on Sun, 02/17/2008 - 2:55pm.

Oh yes, the tongue was clearly placed firmly in the cheek in part 3 - but it was still a bad film (IMO)!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Sun, 02/17/2008 - 8:08am.
Johnny Butane's picture

Yeah, but it was fun, and directed by Anthony Hickox, so for that I just can't bring myself to not like it.

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Sat, 02/16/2008 - 10:22pm.

"Now we just have to hope these two are suitably disturbed enough to give us fans a movie worthy of the Hellraiser name ... since there haven’t been any since the third movie."

Sorry Johnny I have to disagree with you... IMHO, Hellraiser II was the only 'worthy' sequel to the series. The film developed the legend of the Lament Configuration Box and the Cenobites, and Dr. Channard was quite simply an inspired, twisted and brilliant character. On the other hand, Hellraiser III was generic slasher-movie fare and shockingly bad.

Submitted by PelusaMG on Sat, 02/16/2008 - 9:12pm.
Sirand's picture

All is not lost...
At least they're bringing on two writers who are every bit as sick and twisted.

Submitted by Sirand on Sat, 02/16/2008 - 5:31pm.