Rhona Mitra Joins the Underworld

Oh, to be a snake...All of you who bitched that Rhona Mitra’s turn in Doomsday was too similar to Kate Beckinsale’s role in the Underworld movies must’ve been predicting the future, as Sci Fi Pi discovered that Mitra is co-starring in Patrick Tatopolous’ Underworld 3: Rise of the Lycans.

”The film features ... the full appearance of Sonja, Viktor's daughter, vampire lover of werewolf Lucian and cause of all the fuss that is the thousand year war between wolf and bat, played by Rhona Mitra,” the site reports from a recent visit to the New Zealand set. They go on to report that the sets are massive and everyone looks to be in top form for the prequel.

Underworld 3, in case you're unaware, details the rise of the werewolf clan from slavery at the hands of the vampires. Look for more from the film as production rolls on!

- Johnny Butane

Wish you were a large reptile in the Dread Central forums!

thedudeabides's picture

A judge that lost his gavel?

A person squashing a bug?

Maya Angelou's former tailor?

Submitted by thedudeabides on Fri, 03/21/2008 - 5:32am.

Apart Creepy and elderly grey-haired Kindergarden teachers, who the hell bangs their shoe on a table to get people's attention these days?

Submitted by PelusaMG on Thu, 03/20/2008 - 11:14pm.
Messiahman's picture

Too late, man. The die has been cast, and there will inevitably be a duel.

It's whiffleball bats at dawn!

Submitted by Messiahman on Thu, 03/20/2008 - 8:07pm.
moderator *bangs shoe on desk* OK,

*bangs shoe on desk* OK, kids! Knock it off! Or it's gravel in the lube and a night of rough riding for you both!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 03/20/2008 - 8:05pm.

How about, as usual, we agree to disagree and leave it at that?

Submitted by Kryten Syxx on Thu, 03/20/2008 - 2:50pm.
Messiahman's picture

And if you *really* have anything else to say to me, feel free to PM it.

Submitted by Messiahman on Thu, 03/20/2008 - 2:40pm.
Messiahman's picture

It's called a sense of humor, Bostaph, something you proved you don't have. You apparently misunderstood it to the point of getting defensive -- now *that* is fucking sad.

I brought up TRANSFORMERS as a joke. You brought up my work to be an asshole. Mission accomplished - you came off as a *major* asshole.

A friendly word of advice - don't do it again.

Submitted by Messiahman on Thu, 03/20/2008 - 2:38pm.
DW Bostaph Jr's picture

Shark Swarm is as relevant to the argument as Transformers is, or even for that matter TCM or AVP. I only bring it up to point out how fucking sad your initial criticism was.

As for my work, please feel free to check out any of the numerous reviews on the site that DO not involve Lovecraft,or even my blog. There is a great piece on Triffids, or War of the Worlds, etc.

As for Shark Swarm, when I see it, you will know... oh good god David, please trust me YOU WILL KNOW. ;)

Submitted by DW Bostaph Jr on Thu, 03/20/2008 - 7:33am.

No offense to all the sites running this story, but wasn't Mitra confirmed as signing onto this film a couple of months ago? I know she was. So why is everyone acting like this is something new, when it definitely isn't?

Submitted by Caine Is Able on Thu, 03/20/2008 - 3:37am.
Messiahman's picture

Who's worked up? This is the internet; there's nothing serious about it.

Submitted by Messiahman on Thu, 03/20/2008 - 1:24am.
RingoJ's picture

I love watching people get worked up over nothing.

Submitted by RingoJ on Thu, 03/20/2008 - 1:22am.
Messiahman's picture

What does SHARK SWARM have to do with any of this? Oh yeah, nothing, other than when you're backed into a corner, you snarkily bring up one of my films that you haven't even seen. NOW your opinion is null and void.

I'd attack your work, but I really don't have time to go back and read a 9000 word message board thread on H.P. Lovecraft, being that it's the only work you've got, Hondo. :-D

Tristan, I have nothing more to say other than that you're certainly entitled to your opinion, as utterly delusional and completely wrong it is. ;-)

Submitted by Messiahman on Thu, 03/20/2008 - 1:18am.
DW Bostaph Jr's picture

I BLEED!OH GOD THE SWELLING! YOU CUT ME TO THE QUICK!

Submitted by DW Bostaph Jr on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 9:22pm.
Tristan Sinns's picture

>>"The mannequin comparison is way off base, unless you'd like to call out Gibson, Eastwood and Russell for doing the same. But you won't -- only Mitra.

Why is that?"

Because Mitra isn't nearly as good, nor entertaining, as Gibson, Eastwood, or Russell. She's more along the lines of a weak Wesley Snipes. Or who was that guy who starred in The Marine? Maybe that guy.

Submitted by Tristan Sinns on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 8:11pm.
Sirand's picture

*cough*AVP*cough*

What's this about arguements now?

Submitted by Sirand on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 8:09pm.
DW Bostaph Jr's picture

"Maybe I'm just an evil misogynist, but Kate Beckinsale on her best day could't hold a candle to Clint Eastwood or Kurt Russell in the "badass" department. The problem with these modern day "tough girls", like the ones mentioned here, are that they suffer from "Jennifer Garner Syndrome" - which is to say that they're little more than vapid models who pose and look good in leather. They all lack the charisma to be truly great cinema rebels. Even in her mid-sixties, Sigourney Weaver could stomp their asses into the next decade."

TCM: The Beginning - Argument over.

I just want to save poor overworked Messiah's fingers the typing.

Submitted by DW Bostaph Jr on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 7:09pm.
DW Bostaph Jr's picture

Right MY OPINIONS ARE NULL due to my reaction to a film that has nothing to do with this discussion.

I watched Boston Legal and The Practice and I rather enjoyed Mitra, but since then I have been VERY underwhelmed by her performances. She seems wooden and always has the same friggin look on her face.

She could be the female equivalent of John Schneider, who always pays the same role in the same "Hi, I'm John Schneider" manner. Therefore we must conclude she would be a shoe in for the leading role in Shark Swarm II.

Submitted by DW Bostaph Jr on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 6:44pm.
Messiahman's picture

"I'd agree that Doomsday is a better film than Transformers...but...what is that really saying?"

It's saying that DOOMSDAY is an incredibly fun, well-shot piece of entertainment that pays homage to a host of films while also providing its own unique share of adrenaline-filled setpieces and cool characters, while TRANSFORMERS is a poorly directed toy commercial directed by hack who wouldn't know a watchable action setpiece if it punched him in the head (though that punch would likely ricochet off that ginormous hair).

Submitted by Messiahman on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 6:28pm.
Messiahman's picture

"Sigourney Weaver created a whole and life-like character while Mitra robot-stepped through her scenes like a JC Penney's mannequin changing wardrobe. The two are really beyond comparison."

I don't agree about Mitra being a mannequin at all. The roles were written very differently. Ripley was written as a mother who'd lost a child (clearly so, from the deleted scenes) and protected another child due to her mothering instinct.

Mitra was a child who'd been irrevocably damaged and had shut off her emotions, and she handled it like a pro. She played a perfect hard-ass and was entirely believable in the role. The mannequin comparison is way off base, unless you'd like to call out Gibson, Eastwood and Russell for doing the same. But you won't -- only Mitra.

Why is that?

Submitted by Messiahman on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 6:25pm.
Sirand's picture

Messiah, I was speaking about the actresses in their tough girl roles, not about them in general. Beckinsale is a fine actress...I just don't think she's much in Underworld.

Submitted by Sirand on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 6:07pm.
Tristan Sinns's picture

>>"Rhona Mitra just didn't have any personality for me to enjoy. That was never the case with Sigourney Weaver. She may have been a hard ass, but she had a presence and charisma that drew me in."

Submitted by Tristan Sinns on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 6:01pm.
Tristan Sinns's picture

Submitted by Tristan Sinns on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 5:55pm.
Messiahman's picture

That's complete bullshit, as all the actresses mentioned have shown time and again that they have plenty of dramatic chops. Beckinsale's a classically trained actress, same as Mitra, and they've given tons of exceptional performances. Calling them vapid models proves that you're hilariously ignorant as to their body of work -- but hey, why back up anything you have to say before saying it, right? I mean, why break from pattern? It works in my favor, because I've actually seen their work, and that allows me to effortlessly knock down your facade of an argument.

Let's not forget that Eastwood was mocked relentlessly by the press for having no charisma when the "Man with no name" films were released. Let's not forget that Russell was a freaking Disney actor who was pummeled by the critics when EFNY was released.

It took a long while before those films gained acceptance as cult classics.

The same appears to be the case here, and yes, much of the backlash (including your utterly stupid "vapid model" retort) is precisely because they're women.

Regardless, DOOMSDAY is well on its way to being a cult classic, like it or not.

Submitted by Messiahman on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 5:54pm.
Sirand's picture

Submitted by Sirand on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 5:43pm.

"Incidentally, I love the double standard present when fanboys praise Gibson, Eastwood and Russell as complete badasses for acting stoic and emotionless, yet when talented actresses like Weaver, Mitra and Beckinsale do it, they get written off as having "sticks up their asses."

Naw, that's not misogynistic at all. :-D"

Hmmm, I don't remember mentioning anyone other than Mitra in my remark.

Submitted by Kryten Syxx on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 5:39pm.

Messiahman, speaking of knee-jerk reactions...

Submitted by Kryten Syxx on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 5:34pm.
Messiahman's picture

Naw, that's not misogynistic at all. :-D

Submitted by Messiahman on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 5:32pm.
Messiahman's picture

Praise the lord, WIB -- you're absolutely right. Mitra's waaay talented and quite versatile. The only folks with sticks up their asses are the ridiculous DOOMSDAY nitpickers, who apparently lost their senses of fun the day they logged onto the internet.

It's no use talking to them about acting, as they haven't seen much or any of her work and are simply parroting the same kneejerk reactions.

And Bostaph, as someone who embraced the utter silliness, ADD-editing and awful acting in TRANSFORMERS, you really have no room to talk, dude. DOOMSDAY is miles above that wretched mess, acting included.

Submitted by Messiahman on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 5:27pm.
moderator You guys obviously never
Debi Moore's picture

You guys obviously never watched The Practice/Boston Legal -- Mitra was great in them and showed a lot of range. I didn't think she was so bad in Doomsday either; her character was supposed to be unemotional and somewhat robotic after all. I have high hopes for her really cutting loose in the new Underworld.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 2:29pm.
DW Bostaph Jr's picture

I was not too big on Underworld when I saw the first one, but the second made me a fan.

Now we add in a woman whose acting is about as realistic as the easter bunny... so I guess it is time to start worrying again...

Submitted by DW Bostaph Jr on Wed, 03/19/2008 - 1:50pm.