Rest in Peace Forrest J. Ackerman

Rest in Peace Forrest J. AckermanToday is a day we all knew was coming but didn't want to get here. Horror legend and icon Forrest J. Ackerman is no longer with us.

Ackerman died Thursday of heart failure at his Los Angeles home, said Kevin Burns, head of Prometheus Entertainment and a trustee of Ackerman's estate.

To go over this man's career would take hours or days. Maybe even months or years. There was no one who loved our genre more, and no one more giving to the fans.

It's a true understatement when I write Uncle Forry will be missed.

Forrest James Ackerman was born in Los Angeles on Nov. 24, 1916. He had no children of his own but he will continue to have all of our hearts for generations to come.

We here at Dread Central would like to take this time to wish all of Forry's friends, family, and constituents our deepest condolences. Godspeed, good sir! Save us some popcorn upstairs.

- The Dread Central Staff

Discuss Forry's legacy in the Dread Central forums!

frank_dracman's picture

He left behind one hell of a legacy. That's more than any of us can hope for and he certainly deserves a moment of silence.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Sat, 12/06/2008 - 8:06am.

I cried at work when I heard he died. I loved Uncle Forry. He is the reason for all of this. And yes I agree with David we are all his children --- the Monster Kids.

Submitted by turnpiketramp on Sat, 12/06/2008 - 12:26am.
DavidFullam's picture

Like I pointed out in my blog, nothing, and I mean nothing, I write about him could do justice to all he did. I so regret never having met him or gone on one of his tours.

God rest his soul.

Submitted by DavidFullam on Sat, 12/06/2008 - 9:06pm.
Chainsaw's picture

Goodbye, Forry. I hope my letter reached you in time. You've earned your rest, and we'll continue your work here.

-Richard "Chainsaw" Hill

Submitted by Chainsaw on Fri, 12/05/2008 - 10:11pm.
fastelk's picture

Forrey and I were dear friends over the years. In 1974, Uncle 4E gave me a start by allowing me to use a modified Vampirella costume theme and the "Vampi" name and a teenage horror hostess was born. Vampi the Vegetarian Vampire has enjoyed a long and vivacious career thanks to my favorite Uncle. I will miss him... while my heart is upon the ground... he would not be happy to hear that. 4E was abll about joy and love and happiness - and a good cleavage and big butt didn't hurt.

Submitted by fastelk on Fri, 12/05/2008 - 9:43pm.
DavidFullam's picture

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes. Forry had no children? I disagree. Anyone whom read Famous Monsters was his child. Ditto for all the magazines and fanzines that came in FM's wake. It would not have happened without him. We are all Famous Monster kids, and Forry was our Father.

Goodbye Dad.

Submitted by DavidFullam on Fri, 12/05/2008 - 8:16pm.
Messiahman's picture

A couple of years ago, I got a chance to have lunch with Forry and one of his oldest friends, Al. It was one of the most fun afternoons I've ever spent. Forry reminisced about the old days and did deadpan impressions of Lugosi in DRACULA. He talked about everything from his appearances in films to his early relationship with wacko L. Ron Hubbard. Afterward, I got to browse through his amazing collection of memorabilia. He was such a delightful, energetic guy.

Although this saddens me deeply, I'm glad I've got that special memory.

Submitted by Messiahman on Fri, 12/05/2008 - 6:48pm.
FilmCritic3000's picture

You're a lucky bastard, David. We should all be so lucky. The word legend gets bandied about all scattershot most of the time but he truly embodied very aspect of that word.

Rest in peace, Forry. You will be missed by millions, good sir.

Submitted by FilmCritic3000 on Fri, 12/05/2008 - 7:20pm.
Sirand's picture

We should all be so lucky. RIP Forry.

Submitted by Sirand on Fri, 12/05/2008 - 6:08pm.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Fri, 12/05/2008 - 5:18pm.

A big huge giant REST IN PEACE to Forry.

He's bigger than Jesus. Bigger than The Beatles. He was my hero.

Submitted by The Butcher on Fri, 12/05/2008 - 5:18pm.
Mr. Dark's picture

Not going to repeat my previous comments again. Just want to say goodbye. The world just got a lot less beautiful and freaky.

Mr. Dark
Part-Time Dread Central Gaming Guy
Full-Time Freelance Smartass

Submitted by Mr. Dark on Fri, 12/05/2008 - 5:10pm.