Resident Evil 4 Talk

Paul WS Anderson talking about RE4It was starting to look like maybe we’d seen the last of the Resident Evil films and perhaps could go back to just looking forward to the game's sequels. Then Paul W.S. Anderson has to go shoot his mouth off to MTV, and I realize we may never see the end of it...

“I’m just starting to talk to Sony about it,” Anderson threatened of a possible fourth movie. “I don’t even know if anything will come of it, but there’s a possibility it might happen.”

He tried to tell MTV that having a good story is the only thing that’s holding him up right now, but since when has that stopped him? “I wouldn’t just do it for the sake of it, that’s for sure.” Sure, Paul, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Do I sound more bitter than normal? Sorry, I just hate this franchise and wish they had never let Anderson anywhere near it, and I really thought we were finally at the end. Stay tuned; we’ll have more on Resident Evil 4 soon, whether we like it or not.

- Johnny Butane

GET YOURSELF SOMETHING COOL FROM EVILSHOP!
Discuss where you want to see the franchise go in the Dread Central forums!

The dude's a decent director but definitely should take a break from writing his own scripts. Again, I'm of the opinion that the RE films got better as the series went on but I'd say that had more to do with bringing in different directors and not with Paul's screenwriting prowess. The first film is especially terrible, what with all the blatant plagiarizing of entire scenes from other genre movies like CUBE and RELIC.

Submitted by Caterpillar on Tue, 07/01/2008 - 4:03pm.
Spaceshark's picture

You remember that 3 ended with an army of Millas about to wage war on Umbrella right? How on Earth will that make for a good movie? The most I can tell is that they'd probably attack different locations simultaneously, but by then, the only similarities between the movies and RE is the name 'Umbrella'.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Tue, 07/01/2008 - 8:18pm.

Hey - Jovovich and Anderson had their first kid together last Nov. Maybe they're running short of cash? I mean, those diapers are expensive and with the "shit" that must be flying around that household, they're gonna need a truck-load!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 07/01/2008 - 1:18pm.

Kryten, I completely agree. All of his plots seem to be nothing but a setup to recruit a group/team of ridiculous "experts" to a previously uncharted, dangerous place, where he then gets to play around with horrible dialogue, contrived situations, and cheese galore.

This is the exact same plot setup for Mortal Kombat, Alien Vs. Predator, AND Resident Evil....agreed about the shirt, TRY HARDER!

Submitted by Justin Warren on Tue, 07/01/2008 - 11:10am.
Johnny Butane's picture

Well at least I'm not alone in my hate...

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Tue, 07/01/2008 - 9:01am.

The films have actually gotten better as they went on. The first one had nothing to do with the games and was complerly bloodless on a level that is exceeded by most PG-13 fare. The second one was actually pretty true to one of the games but still had no blood and gore whatsoever. They also blew bringing the Nemesis, one of the greatest monsters ever, in my humble opinion, to life in a way that even approached competence. The third film, however, was pretty fun. Sure, it once again had almost nothing to do with the games but as a pulp post apocalypse zombie/monster flick it was a blast. And finally there was gore. Wet, squishy, red gore. So if the they make a fourth film that takes the same approach as the third one I'll be happy.

Submitted by Caterpillar on Tue, 07/01/2008 - 8:49am.
Spaceshark's picture

I HATE, HATE, HATE Paul Anderson for what he did to Resident Evil. HATE HIM. HATE. HIM.

I bet part 4 somehow involves the X-Men taking out Alice after she decides to eat the fucking sun.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Tue, 07/01/2008 - 8:13am.

Fell asleep during the third one while in the theatre. All Anderson likes to do is have huge, fancy sets that he can play with; that's where the creativity ends.

Oh, and he just loves using CGI models of complexes that he can zoom in on. Christ, Paul! We know they are in a huge underground facility! You don't need to show it to us over and over and over and over again!

Submitted by Kryten Syxx on Tue, 07/01/2008 - 7:59am.
frank_dracman's picture

The irony of him wearing that shirt is un-fucking-belivable. The movies, while bad, are not the worst thing to happen, however. I kinda liked the 3rd one, and the first was charming. Less said about the 2nd the better. Would I see the 4th? you're looking at a HUGE Resident Evil fan, (even played all the survivor games) so yeah, I'll be there.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Tue, 07/01/2008 - 7:43am.