O.C. Star Up for Friday Lead

Amanda Righetti up for Friday the 13th leadAll right, we’re finally getting down to the nitty gritty casting for the Platinum Dunes remake of Friday the 13th, which starts rolling in Austin, TX on April 21st. Variety got word this morning that former “O.C.” starlet Amanda Righetti is in final negotiations to take on the lead in the Marcus Nispel-helmed redux.

Ugh. I’ve never seen a single episode of “The O.C.”, but something tells me it’s a show about the problems beautiful people have in their everyday, likely well-pampered, lives. So of course they have to cast from its superior gene pool for a horror remake. I mean, that’s just logical, right?

Righetti’s genre cred includes Return to House on Haunted Hill (review) and ... that’s it, actually. You may recall that another beautiful person, “Supernatural” star Jared Padalecki, has already nabbed the male lead for the remake, whereas stuntman/actor Derek Mears is in final talks to don the hockey mask.

Keep it here for more on this questionable remake as we learn it!

- Johnny Butane

Wonder where your beauty lies in the Dread Central forums!

DW Bostaph Jr's picture

I have zero expectations as well, but I cannot wait to see this movie. How can you go wrong with a Friday film?

Oh wait... Jason goes to hell.

AS LONG as it has Jason in it for more than 2 minutes.. we should be OK. Me thinks.

Submitted by DW Bostaph Jr on Fri, 04/04/2008 - 4:24am.
Messiahman's picture

Righetti's seriously hot and also a fairly competent actress. No problem with this casting at all. The series has certainly never been notable for its acting, but both Padalecki and Righetti are still a few leagues above virtually everyone who showed up in the original series (most of whom now haunt conventions pawning off autographs).

Submitted by Messiahman on Fri, 04/04/2008 - 2:06am.
Blockbuster's picture

Why won't this be gritty like they promised?? I'm scared now. And I've never been scared of the Friday movies in my whole life. This really scares me. Another favorite down the drain. Although, shoot at me now, I liked the TCM remake/prequel. I thought they were fun.

Submitted by Blockbuster on Thu, 04/03/2008 - 6:55pm.
moderator Hope and expect are two
Debi Moore's picture

Hope and expect are two entirely different things -- at least to me. Expectations are specific whereas hope is much more broad. In the case of this movie, I hope it turns out well, but I really don't expect much from it.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 04/03/2008 - 2:18pm.

And, hate to say it, but I've heard this:

"He may be beautiful, but at least Jared is a real fan of the genre."

And many variations many times. It's usually a kiss of death.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/03/2008 - 1:59pm.
Sirand's picture

Isn't that an oxymoron, WIB?

Submitted by Sirand on Thu, 04/03/2008 - 1:55pm.
moderator He may be beautiful, but at
Debi Moore's picture

He may be beautiful, but at least Jared is a real fan of the genre. And a heckuva nice guy too! I have high hopes -- but zero expectations -- for this one.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 04/03/2008 - 1:36pm.
arandomthought's picture

Can't wait to see her die a horrible death for being part of the oc:D

Submitted by arandomthought on Thu, 04/03/2008 - 12:28pm.

Looking forward to it.

Submitted by G.D. on Thu, 04/03/2008 - 11:03am.
can't wait!

can't wait!

Submitted by ryan74 on Thu, 04/03/2008 - 7:01am.

I really hope this movie is good. I REALLY do. Damn, give me something here. Either way, Righetti is hot... and I don't know, I guess she'll be a good final girl.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/03/2008 - 3:56am.