Norrington to Reboot Crow Franchise

The Crow is comming backAfter taking a self-imposed sabbatical following the “demoralizing” experience of making League of Extraordinary Gentleman, which I felt demoralized just watching, Variety reports that Stephen Norrington is returning to filmmaking with a new film based on James O’Barr’s classic antihero, The Crow.

His approach won’t be the Gothic style Alex Proyas used to such good effect in the 1994 original, but rather a ”realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style” film. That’s a little bit odd, as the Gothic style really worked for the story of a murdered rock star who comes back for revenge one year after his death, but Norrington seems pretty confident in his vision.

It’s not a done deal yet, Ed Pressman still has the rights to the franchise and is working with Relativity Media on a deal as we speak, but chances are good this will come to fruition before we know it. Hell, it can’t be worse than the terrible sequels or TV series that were spawned from the original can it?

- Johnny Butane

CHECK OUT DREAD CENTRAL’S NEW POSTER STORE!
Wonder who will be in the makeup in the Dread Central forums!

ED PRES.
YOU SON OF A BITCH.AT LEAST DO A MOVIE ABOUT BRANDON AND STOP MAKING MONEY WITH THE DEAD.BRANDON IS WAITING FOR YOU WHEN YOU DIE DONT FORGET THAT!

Submitted by IFEELMONOS on Fri, 12/26/2008 - 11:22am.
Enraged_Otter's picture

This new Crow movie should be about Ronald Mcdonald and friends getting brutally killed off by the Burger King. Only to have Ronald come back as the Crow seeking revenge.

Submitted by Enraged_Otter on Tue, 12/16/2008 - 6:44am.

Don't exactly know what the realistic/documentary thing means, but if it means a naturalistic shooting style, a la The Wrestler, then I have to say it's kinda intriguing... Of course, at the same time, you run the risk of trying too hard to treat the fantastic in a realistic way (which, if you've read about Aronofsky's plans for Batman, can be really fucking out there).

I'm a huge fan of the first movie and I think it's a cool idea to go the complete opposite way, stylistically rather than just trying to copy, much less TOP the style of the first one.

Submitted by G.D. on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 8:42pm.
Messiahman's picture

Norrington's an interesting choice. I don't blame him for LEAGUE, since the studio completely took it away from him, but he did a fine job with BLADE. I'm anxious to see what he has in store.

Submitted by Messiahman on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 10:16pm.
Sirand's picture

Our communist-loving, shark-obsessed pal is back! Awesome!

As for The Crow, it should never have been a franchise to begin with - in movie or comic form (O'Barr's follow-ups were all pretty lame). It was a perfect stand alone comic and movie that was tainted by a silly pop culture response.

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 1:05pm.

what's the matter andy? couldn't afford the laser surgury to remove your lips from MM's buttocks?

Submitted by Fireflyfan on Tue, 12/16/2008 - 5:06am.
Messiahman's picture

Incidentally, DARK CITY was way cooler than THE CROW.

Submitted by Messiahman on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 11:23am.
frank_dracman's picture

I couldn't agree with you more, MM. This time, anyway.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 4:51pm.
Johnny Butane's picture

Is it odd to say I missed him?

Good, cause I didn't.

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 8:55am.

You are refering to me I take it?

I'm sorry- why do I give a damn if you missed me or not?

Did I miss the memo why I should care?

Incidentally, nice job letting a guy's buddy review a film because you don't have the balls to get a real unbiased opinion on a movie. Awesome.

Submitted by Fireflyfan on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 12:11pm.

The Original was great. Certainly much better than a certain movie about a swarm of sharks.

It should also be remembered that no book, game or comic can or should ever be transferred directly to film and nor should they be. Common sense dictates they are different mediums, and thus need alterations.

Submitted by Fireflyfan on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 6:57am.
Messiahman's picture

He's back! And he still argues against points that weren't being made! The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Submitted by Messiahman on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 8:04am.

If you make a piece of shit movie, how can you call anything overrated?

I just find it hillarious and ironic that the writer of shark swarm rips on critically acclaimed movies.

I mean sure you can, but it's not like you can do better- at least I never claim to be able to do better when I bash something.

Submitted by Fireflyfan on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 12:14pm.
Messiahman's picture

Wow, you're still just as sunshiny as ever, huh? I was referring to the part of your post where you rambled on about how direct adaptations shouldn't be done, when I had never said anything of the like. Only that there was further room to adapt and that it's intriguing to go a totally different route.

As for the rest... ooh, so you didn't like one of the many movies I wrote on assignment. Oh no! What am I gonna do without the approval of Anonymous Internet Guy Who Can't Spell?!

Submitted by Messiahman on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 10:13pm.
Sirand's picture

"at least I never claim to be able to do better when I bash something."

Show me where anyone else on this website has said they could do better.

Your sad little grudge and mindless arguments are indeed "hillarious"

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 1:29pm.
FilmCritic3000's picture

Wow! He *is* back! Wow!

Now that that's out of the way, time for breakfast. I think I'll swing by Jack In The Box.

(BTW, check your PM, David.)

Submitted by FilmCritic3000 on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 11:26am.
Messiahman's picture

Ah, Breakfast Jacks - nectar of the gods!

Submitted by Messiahman on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 10:14pm.
Messiahman's picture

The overrated original was a mediocre film with a rather good lead performance and would likely be much less celebrated if Brandon Lee hadn't died during shooting.

Also, it should be remembered that the character in the comic was NOT a murdered rock star killed over a contrived land deal. He was a nobody who died a random death because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Still, the comic was one of the early touchstones of the Goth movement, filled with mopy images and Rimbaud excerpts, and playing that down would seem to be a bad move, as that was the most distinctive thing about it.

Still, I bet Hot Topic will find a way to market more t-shirts off this. And a whole new generation of pale, humorless teenage girls who write awful poetry will have someone new to swoon over.

Submitted by Messiahman on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 5:11am.
FilmCritic3000's picture

I think fanfiction.net is going to get a spike in traffic after this film comes out. Mark my words.

Submitted by FilmCritic3000 on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 6:25am.