Midnight Meat Train Comes Home

Midnight Meat Train on DVD!After severely mistreating it theatrically, then sort of making up for it by giving it a good run on Fearnet, Lionsgate is finally bringing Midnight Meat Train into the station with standard and Blu-ray DVD releases on February 17th, 2009!

Features will include the following:

• “Anatomy of a Murder: The Making of Midnight Meat Train
  • “The World of Clive Barker” featurette
  • “Mahogany’s Bag”
  • Not sure what the hell that last one is, but I’m sure it has nothing to do with Vinnie Jones’ nether regions, so don’t even suggest it, you perverts. And seriously, what is it with DVDs never having commentary tracks anymore? Kitamura’s a badass who doesn’t fuck around; a commentary from him would be awesome…

Though MMT wasn’t the best Clive Barker adaptation to date (Nightbreed still wins that award for me), Ryuhei Kitamura managed to make a very stylish, violent film that only occasionally resorted to CG blood. Ahem.

- Johnny Butane

CHECK OUT DREAD CENTRAL’S NEW POSTER STORE!
    Wonder what's different in this cut in the Dread Central forums!

Filmczy's picture

Agreed the film was screwed by Lionsgate but after watching it on Fearnet I thought it was just okay and would have been disappointed if I had paid $10 to see it in a theatre. There simply was no real tension or terror because the murders were self-consciencely stylish with WAY too much CGI worked done. Whatever happened to good-old physical violence like the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"?

Submitted by Filmczy on Thu, 11/27/2008 - 1:12am.

Completely agree. Even the cooler scenes have the taint of being too self-consciously slylized, and good FUCK do I ever hate CGI in horror movies. CG blood is the worst thing ever.

Submitted by G.D. on Thu, 11/27/2008 - 9:25am.

There are no commentary tracks because both Kitamura and Barker are rightly pissed off at Lionsgate and probably would want to say so if given the opportunity. Films with troubled production and release histories NEVER have commentaries on their DVDs. Frankly, that's why I never even bother with commentary tracks anymore, unless they are done 20 years after the fact. At least then the people can be honest and don't have to worry about non-disclosure agreements and not pissing off the people they want to work for again.

NIGHTBREED may have had the most badass monsters of any Barker adaptation but it's still a mess of a movie. I'd still like to see that director's cut some of these years...

Submitted by Caterpillar on Wed, 11/26/2008 - 7:19am.
    Doc Block's picture

Counting down the days to February 17! This is easily the second best horror movie I've seen all year (Home Movie was the first).

Submitted by Doc Block on Tue, 11/25/2008 - 9:29pm.
    Permafrost's picture

Better than expected... I was really impressed, with the ending being the only lowish point. Still, very fucked up and highly recommended!

Submitted by Permafrost on Tue, 11/25/2008 - 6:40pm.
    moderator Those are my sentiments
    Debi Moore's picture

Those are my sentiments exactly -- really looking forward to seeing what's different in the director's cut.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Tue, 11/25/2008 - 7:00pm.
    Sirand's picture

Mistreated, but overrated.

Submitted by Sirand on Tue, 11/25/2008 - 4:35pm.