DVD Releases: Play Misty

The DVDs you'll be able to make your own on Tuesday, March 25th include...

Click to see it bigger!April Fool's Day (2008)
Directed by The Butcher Brothers

The joke is on us this time, as the guys who brought us the ultra-lame Horrorfest entry The Hamiltons decide to remake an 80’s slasher classic and fill it with vapid, annoying characters that you can’t even pretend to care about long enough for the movie to off them. Do yourself a favor; rent the original, get fucked up on your drug of choice, and have a good time. Just don’t get this limp, lifeless remake. Don’t believe me? Check our April Fool’s Day DVD review for more! Buy it here!

Click to see it bigger!Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll (1973)
Directed by Carlos Aured

Here’s some advice; if you’re an ex-con with repeated dreams about strangling women, it might not be a good idea to take a job as a caretaker on a large estate owned by three sisters. That’s just asking for trouble. Of course, as soon as our hero does take the job, blue-eyed women begin being killed, their eyeballs removed and placed in bowls of water. Available uncut for the first time ever! Buy it here!

Click to see it bigger!The Dracula Saga (1972)
Directed by Leon Kilmovsky

So Dracula had all sorts of familial issues, it seems. Even he wasn’t immune to having a fucked-up family, even though he could’ve offed them all and eaten the evidence. In this tale, Drac’s granddaughter returns to the family castle to give birth to a new generation of bloodsucker. Meanwhile, her husband starts fooling around with Dracula’s brides, which is not a way to get on his good side… Buy it here!

Click to see it bigger!Fingerprints (2006)
Directed by Harry Basil

A troubled teenager. A town with a haunted past. An urban legend that may be more than just a spooky story. What could be more terrifying? Taxes. Anyway, this story is about a kid with emotional issues who aims to get to the bottom of her town’s 50-year old legend of a train that collided with a school bus, killing all the kids on board. The reason said teen is obsessed is a series of killing that are claiming the lives of townsperson after townsperson. Buy it here!

Click to see it bigger!The Haunting of Rebecca Verlaine (2003)
Directed by Olaf Ittenbach

One wonderful Christmas evening, all the members of the Verlaine Commune are brutally killed except one; Rebecca. She is, however, badly injured and falls into a long coma. She awakens years later and starts to put her life together again, falling in love and everything, but just when everything looks perfect, haunting visions start to plague her. Are the dead seeking revenge? Buy it here!

Click to see it bigger!Human Beasts (1980)
Directed by Jacinto Molina

Paul Naschy stars as a mercenary who double crosses his partner and gets shot for it. He’s taken in by a wealthy doctor, whose two beautiful daughters help nurse him back to health. The girls have issues of their own, being haunted by the ghost of their mother, and soon he realizes that he’s in more danger staying in the house than he is getting out of it. Hilarity ensues. No, not really. Buy it here!

Click to see it bigger!The Living and the Dead (2007)
Directed by Simon Rumley

With bankruptcy looming, a man is forced to leave his bedridden wife in the care of her nurse an schizophrenic son. The son, seizing his chance to be head of the household, locks the nurse out and decides to care for his mother on his own. Of course he misses his own medication, screws up hers, and pretty soon a nightmare has descended on the once-quiet manor. Read our Living and the Dead review for more! Buy it here!

Click to see it bigger!The Mist (2007)
Directed by Frank Darabont

Finally, the best Stephen King adaptation in years comes home, complete with tons of extra features on the two-disc edition (pictured) that will make it even more a of “duh” purchase. Now we can finally hear what Frank was thinking with that ending and where the idea came from (the answer will surprise you). There’s no reason to even think twice, even if you hated the ending like I did. Read our DVD review of The Mist for more! Buy it here!

Click to see it bigger!Shrooms (2007)
Directed by Paddy Breathnatch

A bunch of American kids hook up with a friend in Ireland who promises them some of the best shrooms they’ve ever eaten. For those of you who are straight edge, that means hallucinogenic mushrooms. Anyway, the shrooms work a little too well, as a girl begins having prophetic visions of her friends being slaughtered, and then finds herself alone in the woods with a killer on her heels. Buy it here!

Click to see it bigger!Sisters of Ursula (1978)
Directed by Enzo Milioni

Wow, now this one sounds like the kinda movie you get drunk to; two sisters go to a seaside resort to relax after the death of their father. What was supposed to be a quiet weekend away soon descends into an orgy of kinky sex, massive drug use, psychotic lesbians and a killer who tears women apart with his teeth! Needless to say the siblings do anything but rest on their vacation… Buy it here!

Click to see it bigger!Socket (2006)
Directed by Sean Abbey

All right, a gay sci-fi epic about men using electricity to get off; just what we’ve all been waiting for. When Dr. Bill Matthews is struck by lightning, he’s cared for by a sexy intern who’s also been exposed to the same phenomenon, and he intros the doc to an underground society of gay folks who use electricity to reach ecstasy. Pretty soon they’re both addicted to sockets and one another, but it’s never enough for Bill. Buy it here!

Click to see it bigger!Them (2006)
Directed by David Moreau & Xavier Palud

Have you seen and do you love Hot Fuzz as much as I? If so, you’re going to have some real issues with Them when the psychos are revealed. That’s all I’m going to say about it, save that I really don’t get what all the hoopla was about for this flick; it’s pretty dull from start to finish. Check out our Them DVD review for more. Buy it here!

- Johnny Butane

Discuss this week’s DVD list in the Dread Central forums!

"My drug of choice is knowledge."

Mine is Iolo Morganwg... Oh wait, I thought you said "Druid of choice"!

:-/

Submitted by PelusaMG on Wed, 03/26/2008 - 8:45am.
RingoJ's picture

I take St.John's Wort.

Felt like adding that.

Submitted by RingoJ on Wed, 03/26/2008 - 1:26am.
Sam Hell's picture

What if someone's drug of choice was crass humor? Just sayin', buckle your seat belts folks, the collective humor of the members of this glorious message board is far more extreme than "drug of choice"...which I thought was funny...and I don't do drugs.

Submitted by Sam Hell on Tue, 03/25/2008 - 6:04pm.
Tristan Sinns's picture

What if someone's drug of choice was a combination of fresh air, rainbows, and Natalie Portman? Because, really man, that'd be swell.

Submitted by Tristan Sinns on Tue, 03/25/2008 - 11:42am.
Gus Bjork's picture

...sigh.

I apologize for being sharp. Johnny's comment seems just a throw-away aside regarding watching one of these stupid yet fun movies and nothing to take seriously. But you're right, the last thing the world needs is another excuse to get fucked up.

Now to see if the hardworking and dedicated folks at the Samuel Adams Brewery can wash away these bitter words from my mouth.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Tue, 03/25/2008 - 8:35am.
darkstar's picture

I agree with those who didnt like the original April Fool's Day. It was horrible. Not everything coming from the mid eighties horror genre was worth remembering.

Submitted by darkstar on Tue, 03/25/2008 - 5:28am.

Well i didnt mean to cause such a deal XP..

I didnt get offended by the word drug (as i know that simple things like medicines are drugs), just like Terminal said, what they are saying about getting fucked up with their drug of choice is whhat annoys me.

I mean, a lot of people like to do drugs, dont really have a problem with them, just dont suggest in a great site like this the use of drugs.

I think they are bad and i think i have the right to have my own opinion.

Sorry if my english its horrible XP

Its an interesting list, i want The Mist, and i want to see The Living and The Dead, Them, and maybe Shrooms

Submitted by gabrielenriquez on Tue, 03/25/2008 - 2:22am.
Gus Bjork's picture

Yeah, we should all just chill out and relax.

I'm sure Malachi has some high grade weed that could help with that.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 7:34pm.

I think you're missing the point Sirand. I don't think the word "drug" offended him, I think the suggestion of using drugs, or getting fucked up by drugs offended him, you're misusing the context.

I think if he wants to get offended, then he should be respected just as those of us who giggled at JB's suggestion. Some people just have their triggers, I agree with TDA.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 7:17pm.
thedudeabides's picture

Who's to say which one is correct? C'mon now, the way people have thrown hissy fits over less throws that argument right out the window.

Personally I don't get offended by this (I really do think it is a non issue, actually... we all have said much worse), nor do I side with anyone who does. But to each his own. And just because a "clubhouse mentality" thinks they can determine what is right shouldn't make this guy the butt of jokes or told he should lighten up. Who is anyone to tell him to loosen up?

Submitted by thedudeabides on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 7:10pm.
Sirand's picture

There's a difference between people critically discussing their passions and people who get all offended by a harmless off-hand comment.

If the casual mention of the word "drug" upsets you, you're either a Scientologist or on the wrong website.

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 7:03pm.

All valid points, TDA.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 6:40pm.
moderator A lot of people are high on
Debi Moore's picture

A lot of people are high on life. No one said "drug" has to mean a pharmaceutical substance.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 6:32pm.
thedudeabides's picture

Ok, I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate:
I don't think there's any reason to come down on the guy IF he was offended (and this isn't some kind of a routine). I've seen many of the same people posting in this comment section lose their shit for things others could easily call "taking things too seriously" or "not having a sense of humor."

The whole "respect others speech" that everyone is so quick to throw around when coming to their friends' defense does work both ways, whether you might agree with someone or not. Otherwise everyone can start to sound very hypocritical.

So, flame away.

Submitted by thedudeabides on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 6:29pm.

My drug of choice is knowledge.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 5:39pm.
moderator I've seen people get fucked

I've seen people get fucked up on Jolt Cola because it was their drug of choice. No need to get so serious.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 5:37pm.
frank_dracman's picture

For shame, Mr. Butane! Saying the only way to enjoy a movie is to get high on illegal substances! Never once in my life had I thought about using narcotics, but now that you told me to go get some, I'm gonna stop by the Disco tonight. If you guys don't hear from me soon, that could only mean the deal when bad and I had to cap some suckas.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 5:33pm.

Drug of choice??? That's not funny at all.

What? I'm just keeping the routine.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 4:57pm.
Drugs rule.
Sirand's picture

Drugs rule.

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 4:37pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

Perhaps you would enjoy the poster staring session more while on the drug of your choice?

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 3:36pm.

"It's not supposed to be funny. It's solid, practical advice."

The original "April Fool's" sucks, I don't find that solid advice. I'd rather look at the poster for ninety minutes, personally.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 3:26pm.

"That’s all I’m going to say about it, save that I really don’t get what all the hoopla was about for this flick; it’s pretty dull from start to finish."

Ugh, I couldn't disagree more, man. This movie was fantastic.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 3:25pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

It's not supposed to be funny. It's solid, practical advice. Kind of like Ben Franklin would give. And who are you to go against one of the greatest statesmen in history!

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 3:24pm.

drug of choice?????

thats not funny at all....

Submitted by gabrielenriquez on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 2:57pm.