DVD Release List: Something New

All right, trying something a bit different here. Each week for countless years I’ve given you guys a full list of DVD releases hitting shelves, complete with my own descriptions of the film and links to buy 'em. The problem is that it’s a helluva lot of work and now that the Halloween season is upon us, my time is even more limited than before.

Since all our links go to Amazon anyway, I decided to try out the following store that I can easily update on a weekly basis with all the horror releases and you can still read all our reviews or thoughts on the film by following the taxonomy links at the top (the little red words...)

You guys need to let me know what you think of it! Hopefully it’ll make all our lives easier in the long run, but if the unanimous opinion is that it sucks, we'll explore other options ... Let your voice be heard below!

- Johnny Butane

GET YOURSELF SOMETHING COOL FROM EVILSHOP!
Let us know what you think below or in the Dread Central forums!

arandomthought's picture

Shit, I know I'm not the most involved or faithful, but I gotta agree with Terminal. It just doesn't feel right. If you guys do a quick audio, of what would be written, I would be more then happy to type it out then send it back. Just have us readers get more involved. If we want that personal touch, then have us help with the personal touch. In my humble opinion, it would be much better if it stayed even close.

I mean even if you just do the highlights of the week, and popped the rest into the amazon I would be happy.

Also, for some reason the goosebumps came out two weeks ago in the wal-mart I work at.

Submitted by arandomthought on Wed, 09/17/2008 - 12:41am.

JB: Maybe a compromise (based on the love/hate comments so far), would be to keep posting the DVD listing in this format (as that is easier for you to do), but also include a 10 minute (or around that) podcast where you summarise your thoughts about each of the movies. I doubt the latter would take you 4 hours to do, and if it were 'off the cuff' would retain that personal touch some people loved about the old listings... You could even have some other DFF contributers waxing lyrical with you about them if you so wanted!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 11:45pm.

A Podcast is a good idea, but if he can't spend time on a listing who's to say he will spend time on a podcast? Besides, I guess this:

"Hopefully it’ll make all our lives easier in the long run, but if the unanimous opinion is that it sucks, we'll explore other options..."

is off the table.

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 11:24am.
frank_dracman's picture

Yeah, right. Butane do a 10 minute podcast? It can't be done. Especially if you get the gang in there, it would turn into a 90 minute debate. Would be cool for us, but once those guys start talking, they can't shut up : )
Love the idea, though.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 8:33am.

So how about JB doing it like a Top Ten countdown... Say 10 new DVDs (or whatever the number at the time), with short a comment about them. For those readers from the UK, I'm thinking of the way they counted down the Top Ten on "Top of the Pops"...

Something like this, but obviously not the same as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd-0jLiz0Jw

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 11:58am.

I want more effort, no disrespect, but you figure such a popular site with many writers, Butane wouldn't mind putting down four hours for a feature that could make them money. This new version looks like we're just being force fed copy and paste links to make money and nothing more. Once you lack the effort to actually put heart in to your shit then the rest will follow through. Come on, I want some effort from before. But hey, I'm just a reader.

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 12:05pm.

If the commission Amazon paid for selling DVDs via a website was worth 4+ hours of someone's time to write witty comments to a list of new release movies, then you can bet JB (and anyone else) would willingly invest the time and effort to do this. But seeing as Amazon do not pay that much for other people doing their dirty-selling-work, I believe it is right that JB should find a 'short-cut' for producing what essentially amounts to a list of DVDs to buy.

In the end, I have no doubt that the people running DC would love to be descently paid for doing what they do - and quit their jobs as a result - but they are not, and they all have lives outside of the DC world (although at times I do wonder how). So although people might voice their displeasure when things change, it's not us enjoying the fruits of their work who are having to find the time to create it and put it together.

Furthermore, being someone who also devotes far too much time running a site for nothing, I empathise with JB's plight in this matter.

More to the point, when was the last time anyone here bought a DVD via EvilShop to swell the DC coffers? If you have never done that (or only very infrequently), then you can have no gripe when people try to find a balance between producing quality content, and the time and effort it takes to do so.

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 12:33pm.

Money is money honey, and regardless I think four hours is sufficient expense for commission and quality. The new DVD list doesn't scream quality anymore. It was one of the few things on the site I looked to for purchasing information.

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 2:51pm.

That said T, if you were merely interested in purchasing information you could get that by simply clicking through to the Amazon user ratings/comments.

Look, the bottom line is this - Everyone who runs a website knows that a page of Amazon links is only really designed to try and generate income. I have been in the same place as JB (in terms of running a website that is!). I've spent many hours putting Amazon links together (and writing comments about them) in the hope that it will generate muchos doshos in commission fees, only to find it has not and then to question the workload involved in continuing such a task.

We all want something for free, but time is precious and as such if people want JB's DVD comments then there must be other ways to get them which do not involve him having to sweat for hours over a hot keyboard!

Although the comedic vapidity of JB's musings is highly regarded by some DC readers, there has to be balance here.

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 8:57pm.

Let me know when the balance has been found.

Respect all around PelusaMG, but I'm still not convinced.

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 9:07pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

I cannot second this sentiment strongly enough. We get interviews, coverage and updates at what I consider a remarkable rate. Is all this complaining for a couple of quick blurbs from JB for a weekly run down of newly available dvds? Am I missing something? I'm sure giving input on the site is appreciated even if negative but when it's just griping what is the point?

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 12:51pm.
Johnny Butane's picture

First of all there's no such thing as "just a reader". We'd be shit if it weren't for readers, obviously, and would never ask for feedback on anything.

Second... aw you guys are all so cool. Group hug!

Yes, even you Terminal...

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 1:23pm.

I'm touched. I hate that.

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 2:49pm.
Chainsaw's picture

Butane's witticisms certainly made the list, and I appreciate the work, Johnny. I liked the old listings better, but hey, ya gotta do what you gotta do.

Terminal's right, we'll make it.

Submitted by Chainsaw on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 11:12pm.
moderator I wasn't sure at first, but
Debi Moore's picture

I wasn't sure at first, but now that we have the trademark Butane comments added in, it seems like a win-win to me.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 2:28pm.

So I'm the only one who see's this?

"You know things are bad when the cops won’t even come to your neighborhood, and that’s what the future looked like when this w..."

I'd like to read complete comments, actually.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 5:47pm.
Johnny Butane's picture

Then I either write them shorter or you click on the movie to see the whole comment. It cuts it off so the sizing on the page isn't all over the place.

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 7:03pm.

Click the links and make you money or we don't see the comments?

I'll survive.

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 11:28am.
moderator We get no money from people
Debi Moore's picture

We get no money from people just clicking on the title to read the comments. They have to buy something.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Tue, 09/16/2008 - 11:32am.
frank_dracman's picture

I noticed it too, give them time and they will figure it out. After all, they...

Submitted by frank_dracman on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 5:59pm.

Hah! Touche you clever bastard.

You are...

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 6:07pm.
Johnny Butane's picture

Well, see, that's kind of the point... it is lazy. Doing "the list" takes about 4 hours on a good weekend. With Halloween coming up ... last year it took me three days (not straight, obviously) to finish one.

Added The Mist (thanks for the heads up), which is another beautiful thing about this list; I don't have to be home to update it. And I found out I can add my own comments so nothing needs to change there, either! Better?

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 10:56am.

Not really, but whatever works for YOU. I'm just a reader.

Honestly, it's just not the same. Lame. I'm not game. Did you know the comments go off frame? It stinks.

Wocka, wocka.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 11:24am.

honestly i hate it. I love the usual write ups and this almost seems lazy and incomplete. So where's the blu-ray of THE MIST on the list. 1408 makes it but not The Mist?

Submitted by DoNNie DaRKo on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 9:27am.

I agree. It looks like it was all just copied and pasted with no consideration to quality. Honesty is the best policy.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 11:26am.

I liked it better when Butane wrote a paragraph about the movie instead of just shoving links on us.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 9:13am.
Gus Bjork's picture

I enjoyed the write-ups as well but as far as information and reviews go, you guys are already covering these. When it comes to managing your workload I would rather you focus your energy on new and expanded detail coverage rather than recapping for a couple of chuckles.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 8:47am.

What we need is just a paragraph or two that points out the good or overly bad releases this week. Let everyone know which ones to really look out for.

Submitted by Kryten Syxx on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 7:25am.
frank_dracman's picture

It sucks. Well, not that bad, but of course I liked it the way it was. The little synopsis you gave, while brief, was one of the highlights. It was more personal. Now it looks like a generic list like we could find on (GASP) IMDB. Hey, if it frees you guys up for more important things, I'm cool with that. Last thing we want is for the site to become a burden or chore for you. But there's always room for improvement, right?

Submitted by frank_dracman on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 7:16am.