Dread Central Gets Lively!

You may not have heard about Lively.com yet. No one could blame you; it’s only two days old. But whether you were there when it launched or just heard about it here, you can’t deny how cool the application is.

Sign up for a free account at Lively.com, and you get to create not only your own 3D avatar but a fully customizable “room” for it. But the fun doesn’t stop there. These rooms can be embedded on ANY page you have access to. So you can post your 3D world on MySpace, Facebook, or even your regular blog. Add to that the fact that anyone with an account can actually enter your room and interact with you, and you have a pretty sick application.

We here at Dread Central felt this was way too cool not to implement on the site. Feel free to check out our Virtual Graveyard! And to make things even cooler, we have added Lively support to all our members' profile pages. Should you choose to create an account, you can submit your Room ID number when you edit your profile here on DreadCentral.com, and your profile page will automatically embed your 3D world.

Here is a quick list of things you can do in Lively:

• Chat with other users
  • Interact with others through predefined animations (Choke is my favorite)
  • Stream YouTube videos right from customizable TV sets
  • Share photos
  • Leave comments

NMEwithin's picture

Kind of a lame MMORPG ripoff, shit...at least in Age of Conan and City of Heroes I can kill people...

Submitted by NMEwithin on Tue, 07/15/2008 - 10:26am.
admin moderator it doesnt take a genius to
Jon Condit's picture

it doesnt take a genius to realize its a social networking app not an MMORPG :)

Submitted by Jon Condit on Tue, 07/15/2008 - 11:35am.
NMEwithin's picture

I said it was "kind of like a MMORPG" which it is. As far as a social networking app? It's ok I guess although I had my character sit in the DC room for about 2 hours last night and didn't see a single soul so the "social" aspect is kind of lacking...for now.

Submitted by NMEwithin on Tue, 07/15/2008 - 11:44am.
admin moderator Ive bumped into a few people
Jon Condit's picture

Ive bumped into a few people in there, it seems to be busier during the mid day to be honest. im just waiting for new items from google

Submitted by Jon Condit on Tue, 07/15/2008 - 11:58am.

i was just implying that maybe you guys were on a sponsor kind of program, you know you make people aware, they throw you some cash. No reason to get your claws and critical eyes out.

- Diet Pepsi

Submitted by macdanman on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 9:20pm.
admin moderator hehe not at all the case :)
Jon Condit's picture

hehe not at all the case :) im just a big nerd for new tech and actually had an idea like this many years ago when my buddy and i did VRML way back in the 90's.

when i saw the article on Digg about it I flipped out and couldnt wait to implement it here on DC.

And like UC said the other comments about cost were directed to someone who thought you had to pay for the items in the catalog.

Ill be sure you get paid for your mention of Diet Pepsi though :)

Thats not to say if Google is looking I wont take some of their money and maybe a cushy job at their office :D

Submitted by Jon Condit on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 10:57pm.
moderator The comments about it being

The comments about it being free were for Dr Malachi Constant, not you, mac. lol

Submitted by Steve Barton on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 10:37pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

What's a mac user to do? Don't say buy a pc cause that ain't gonna happen.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 2:13pm.
admin moderator Mac support shouldn't be too
Jon Condit's picture

Mac support shouldn't be too far off. Google said they are working on it right now. Its only been in beta for 5 days or so but Im sure they will be releasing a Mac and Linux client soon.

Submitted by Jon Condit on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 3:14pm.
Sirand's picture

It's too bad you can't do anything in the room, since Condit locked everything. *ahem*

Submitted by Sirand on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 12:39pm.
admin moderator you can move items all you
Jon Condit's picture

you can move items all you want, you just cant add your own

Submitted by Jon Condit on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 1:47pm.
Chainsaw's picture

So...I can't put Ghengis Bong over here then?

Submitted by Chainsaw on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 4:43pm.
admin moderator nope lol
Jon Condit's picture

nope lol

Submitted by Jon Condit on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 5:59pm.
Johnny Butane's picture

Yeah, where'd you get this pay idea from?

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 11:24am.
moderator The burning question -- when

The burning question -- when will Butane learn to use the REPLY feature so he can be added to the thread he's commenting on instead of adding a new comment in the same article?

Submitted by Steve Barton on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 12:16pm.
Johnny Butane's picture

No, the burning question is, what the fuck does it matter?

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 12:49pm.
Sirand's picture

Learning is fun. ;)

Submitted by Sirand on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 12:52pm.
Jerel Of The Dead's picture

So is being blind

Submitted by Jerel Of The Dead on Sat, 07/12/2008 - 5:54am.
Dr Malachi Constant's picture

That shit's lame. They want you to pay money to participate in this crummy little online world? Why am I going to pay for that when I can get virtually the same thing here for free?

Submitted by Dr Malachi Constant on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 10:48am.
moderator Dude, it's totally free.

Dude, it's totally free. Even when you go to the website and it asks you to shop for accessories their prices all read FREE. Believe me, we wouldn't ask or want you guys to pay for anything. Poke around a bit, man. It's really friggin' cool.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 12:15pm.
admin moderator What are you talking about?
Jon Condit's picture

What are you talking about? Everything is free.

Submitted by Jon Condit on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 11:51am.
moderator What makes you think you
Debi Moore's picture

What makes you think you have to pay anything? I've been in and out of there, building my avatar and a room, and everything I've wanted to do was free.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 10:56am.
ca-ching

ca-ching

Submitted by macdanman on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 2:47am.
Chainsaw's picture

Damn, this looks sweet. Unfortunately, I'm still running 2000 (yeah, I know, I'm a dinosaur), otherwise I'd be all over this.

Submitted by Chainsaw on Thu, 07/10/2008 - 7:28pm.
admin moderator Get XP before they pull it
Jon Condit's picture

Get XP before they pull it in favor of Vista :)

Submitted by Jon Condit on Thu, 07/10/2008 - 9:46pm.
Chainsaw's picture

I've got a hookup coming hopefully.

Submitted by Chainsaw on Fri, 07/11/2008 - 4:41pm.
moderator You know, I like Vista. I

You know, I like Vista. I haven't had a single issue with it. Then again I don't run mega PC programs! LOL

Our Drive-in movie Screen is pretty sweet. We STILL need a TREX though!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 07/10/2008 - 9:48pm.
moderator Yeah I'm diggin on it too. I

Yeah I'm diggin on it too. I just smacked Condit around! LOL

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 07/10/2008 - 4:26pm.
The Buz's picture

This is awesome.

Submitted by The Buz on Thu, 07/10/2008 - 4:20pm.