Director Talks Martyrs, Hellraiser Remakes

Martyrs on the remake blockI guess the first bit of news that should be mentioned from AICN’s interview with Martyrs director Pascal Laugier is that an American remake of Martyrs is already in the works. It is, of course, not surprising in the least considering how well received the film has been since its festival debut, but it's a little disappointing nonetheless.

Dimension has the remake rights, and according to Laugier it’s in the very early stages of development. But the meat of this interview is the discussion about Hellraiser and Laugier’s intentions with his remake of it, which is also with Dimension:

”We'll get the chance to have much more money than even Clive had in the first film, so it will be of course more epic, it will be bigger, and I hope that it won't be softer. And right now I trust the guys in Dimension [Films], you know? It's all a matter of human relationship,” he explained to the site. ”Right now I have no reasons to refuse the opportunity because if I disagree with the producer, I would leave the project. You know, I'm not forced to do anything I don't want. So, let me write the first draft, let me tell you what all the American producers have reacted to the reading of the first draft and I will tell you if I'm in good hands or if I'm gonna leave a hellish experience, but in any case, I won't betray Clive Barker's work. I want to do a fresh film filled with a lot of unexpected and surprising things. At the same time, I want it to be connected to the real, original material.”

I really don’t feel so bad to know the remake is in the hands of this director; even though I’ve not seen Martyrs yet, no film can get as much hype as it has without being good or impressive on some level.

Click here to check out the rest of the interview, and click here to pre-order Martyrs on Blu-ray, which will drop on March 24th, 2009!

- Johnny Butane

CHECK OUT DREAD CENTRAL’S NEW POSTER STORE!
Make yourself into a martyr by visiting the Dread Central forums!

shaneg's picture

I'm willing to give a new Hellraiser a chance. As long as pinhead and the other cenobites are still creepy it has a chance. I only like the first two, preferring Hellbound to the first one. Really not a fan of Hell on Earth now, but I did enjoy it at the theater when It came out. Did not like 4 or 5, and I haven't seen the last few so I can't comment on them. I saw the original at the theater when I was twelve! It's cool to have an older sister who would take me to see twisted movies to warp my fragile little mind!

Submitted by shaneg on Tue, 12/30/2008 - 11:26pm.
Aghora Eats Kittens's picture

Hellraiser 3 was indeed terrible....simply awful. The CD Cenobite was the worst of them all.

www.myspace.com/mesqua
www.reverbnation.com/stevenguerrero

Submitted by Aghora Eats Kittens on Tue, 12/30/2008 - 6:54pm.
kiddcapone's picture

Probably not a popular opinion, but I always enjoyed Hellbound more than Hellraiser.

Hellraiser III was bad, but not nearly as bad as everything that followed it. 4, 5, and 6 are complete trash.

Submitted by kiddcapone on Tue, 12/30/2008 - 2:18pm.
Messiahman's picture

Nobody can fuck up Hellraiser worse than the endless sequels already did.

Submitted by Messiahman on Mon, 12/29/2008 - 8:47pm.
Sirand's picture

"Nobody can fuck up Hellraiser worse than the endless sequels already did."

We all said that about Halloween when Rob Zombie started work.

Submitted by Sirand on Tue, 12/30/2008 - 9:27am.

I've always maintained that "Hellraiser 2: Hellbound" was a worthy sequel (largely due to the superb Doctor Channard), but from then on they really sucked!!!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Mon, 12/29/2008 - 10:55pm.
Johnny Butane's picture

Sorry, gotta support Hellraiser III. Sure it took the franchise and Pinhead in a new direction (Kruger territory) but man it was entertaining and really, you can't go wrong with a Hickox film.

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Tue, 12/30/2008 - 8:07am.
Sirand's picture

Hellraiser III is a disgrace and the worst of the series next to Hellworld. It raped everything good about the first two films.

CD-shooting cenobites and a wise-cracking Pinhead? Just fucking horrible.

Submitted by Sirand on Tue, 12/30/2008 - 9:25am.
Johnny Butane's picture

Does it hurt to be wrong as often as you are? I'm just curious what the actual physical repurcussions are of being so... wrong... about so many things...

:D

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Tue, 12/30/2008 - 11:01am.
Sirand's picture

You're dead, next DFF. ;)

Submitted by Sirand on Tue, 12/30/2008 - 3:03pm.
Sexy Mcmanbeast's picture

So excited for Martyrs!
...
Also, if this dude fucks up Hellraiser I will rip his face off.

Submitted by Sexy Mcmanbeast on Mon, 12/29/2008 - 2:45pm.