Dark City, Bright DVD

New Dark City DVD (click to see it bigger!)If you're in the camp who believe Alex Proyas' Dark City was severely underrated compared to the Hot Topic nightmare known as The Matrix, then you are not alone. The late '90s release of Dark City on DVD was less than what we fans hoped for, and a decade later we're still waiting for justice.

Finally, on July 29th we'll finally have a Director's Cut of the film on both standard DVD and Blu-ray according to DVD Active, who also provided the new artwork. But what will the special features be? Those are still unknown, but who really cares if the transfer found on the Blu-ray is pristine?

Dark City tells the tale of a man who discovers his entire world is a lie. In fact, the lives of everyone in the city are changed often by strange beings who manipulate their human subjects like toys. Dark City starred Rufus Sewell, William Hurt, Jennifer Connelly and Kiefer Sutherland.

- Syxx

Discuss this article in the Dread Central Forums!

Messiahman's picture

This just jumped to the list of my number one anticipated Blu-Ray. Can't wait to watch this masterpiece in high-definition!

Submitted by Messiahman on Mon, 04/28/2008 - 9:53pm.

I love this movie. Sounds like a great birthday gift for me!

Submitted by What The Cat Dr... on Mon, 04/28/2008 - 7:41pm.

Damn Syxx, that's idiotic. No kung fu? Heh.

Well, I like them both, honestly.

Proyas' visual knack is rather spectacular.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 04/28/2008 - 7:33pm.
thedudeabides's picture

At least I now know one of the Blu-Ray movies I'll be buying in July...

Submitted by thedudeabides on Mon, 04/28/2008 - 7:14pm.

I remember quite well back in '99, the two films were being compared and Dark City was losing the "battle" because it didn't have Kung Fu. Seriously, those were the conversations and forum discussions...

Submitted by Kryten Syxx on Mon, 04/28/2008 - 6:48pm.

They're not even the same movie, but I'd say I like them both for their messages and fantastic stories. I can't wait for this.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 04/28/2008 - 6:21pm.
Hunter1006's picture

I love this movie!

Submitted by Hunter1006 on Mon, 04/28/2008 - 4:33pm.