Combs Returns to Lovecraft for The Darkest Evil!

Jeffrey Combs as PoeIf there's any one actor whose name is most associated with films based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft, it would have to be Jeffrey Combs. Having done several Lovecraftian flicks, most famously Re-Animator, Combs is about to once again return to Miskatonic territory with The Darkest Evil, a new film adaptation of "The Dunwich Horror", Lovecraft's tale of a diabolical man named Wilbur Whateley who sets out to acquire the Necronomicon in order to unleash the mysterious "Old Ones" upon mankind.

This news came courtesy of an email the other day from a source who wishes to remain anonymous at this time since no official press release has been sent out just yet announcing that production has begun in Lafayette, Louisiana on the The Darkest Evil. Being produced by Bullet Films, the Louisiana-based subsidiary of Blackthorn Industries, a new production company formed by filmmaker Leigh Scott (Beast of Bray Road) and other ex-Asylum talent following a major behind the scenes fallout late last year ... I guess you could call them all Asylum escapees. Get the net!

Scott will be directing The Darkest Evil, which also co-stars two other former Asylum regulars: Griff Furst and Sarah Lieving. As for Jeffrey Combs, he's been cast as the villainous Wilbur Whateley, a role played by Dean Stockwell in the loosely-adapted 1970 film version of The Dunwich Horror. In what can only be considered something of a casting coup, Dean Stockwell will also be co-starring in this version as well.

My source tells me The Darkest Evil will be getting a limited theatrical release in the fall. Expect much more info to come in the very near future. Stay tuned!

- The Foywonder

Discuss your darkest evil in the Dread Central forums!

Tsotha-lanti's picture

Isn't Jeffrey Combs much too old to play Wilbur Whateley? I remember the story describing Wilbur as 13 years old, if looking a bit older but not that much, and extremely tall at that. (Combs is rather short)

Combs would be better as Dr. Armitage IIRC.

Submitted by Tsotha-lanti on Mon, 07/07/2008 - 3:17pm.
Agonistes's picture

Or.... It can be the best Lovecraft adaptation ever!!!!

Submitted by Agonistes on Wed, 04/23/2008 - 8:13pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

I'll give it a shot. I've always hoped for the best for Leigh and you never know when one of these Lovecraft deals will work out.

Besides if it sucks it's just more ammunition for my Lovecraft parody puppet script...now entering it's 4th draft....ugh

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Wed, 04/23/2008 - 6:07pm.
HorrorMaven's picture

Nice to see someone's reading jeffreycombs.com besides me! :)

Submitted by HorrorMaven on Tue, 07/01/2008 - 11:07am.
Sirand's picture

Another Lovecraft DTV cheapie. There's one every week.

Submitted by Sirand on Wed, 04/23/2008 - 11:16am.

I'll pass.

Good luck though, Leigh.

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 04/23/2008 - 8:38am.
DW Bostaph Jr's picture

Leigh Scott? Oh good god. His version of Frankenstein was one of the biggest let downs I have ever had to endure. I have zero faith in Mssr. Scott's ability to handle Lovecraftian work with any real gravitas or intelligence. I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong, but The casing of Combs here seems less inspired and more derived, which was a serious problem for Scott when it came to his vision of Frankenstein.

Combs has been down the Lovecraftian road so man times, and each is just a subtle variation of the Stuart Gordon camp fests. The Dunwhich Horror is a difficult story to translate, as we have seen with previous versions. I am expecting to see overacting, lots of needless gore, and a gerneral ignorance of the nuance needed to convey the real dread that the story was able to generate without any of this.

To sum it all up: Hooray, a suckfest!

Submitted by DW Bostaph Jr on Wed, 04/23/2008 - 8:06am.