Abrams Talks Cloverfield 2, Dark Tower

The audio on this video sucks, just want to get that out of the way. Whoever was asking J.J Abrams questions at the US-Ireland Alliance Party (?) forgot to make sure her mic was working, so you’ll not be able to hear much of what she’s asking.

But then, the questions aren’t as important as the answers, right? Abrams dishes a small bit of info about Cloverfield 2, indicating it may not be done in handheld style again (much to the relief of most I’m sure) but, most importantly, confirms that he and Damon Lindelof (also a “Lost” creator) are in the very early stages of working on a Dark Tower adaptation. Like I’ve said before, if there are any people in Hollywood who should be doing this, it’s them. Now we just have to hope it actually happens.

Check out the video below for more specifics!

- Johnny Butane

Follow the Man in Black to the Dread Central forums!

thedudeabides's picture

I haven't watched Lost since the beginning of Season 2.
Private, personal issues and matters, etc. that I won't go into here, but I'm always curious to how the show is progressing.

As for Cloverfield 2...I hope they make either a seperate movie or "remake" the first as a more traditional movie.

I liked the movie when I saw it, but I'm so completely over the whole video camera gimmick.

Plus, I hope they redesign the monster because I still hate the way it looks. Maybe mama Gorgo...oops, I mean Clover...can look different.

Submitted by thedudeabides on Mon, 02/25/2008 - 9:02am.
Messiahman's picture

I wasn't talking to you, Terminal, but thanks for the shallow attempt at sarcasm. I really needed it.

Submitted by Messiahman on Sun, 02/24/2008 - 4:32pm.

My brother and sister-in-law (who live in the UK) are absolutely nuts about "Lost", and are almost to the point of addiction regarding it. They literally crave the next episode when the credits of the last show are just running. It seems to me you either love it or you hate it.

Ooooh, all this talk about "Lost" has made me want to take a poo...

Submitted by PelusaMG on Sun, 02/24/2008 - 3:09pm.

"I really hope this is all made available on cassette. I have to spread the word about the gospel."

Geez T... Don't you keep up with technology! I understand that the youth of today are using something called a See Dee player, whatever that is.

Submitted by PelusaMG on Sun, 02/24/2008 - 3:04pm.

I'm learning so much about myself talking to you, Sirand. Really, I just never realized all of this. I really should write this down.

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 02/24/2008 - 2:57pm.
Sirand's picture

Oh...and anyone who just wants to watch Lost for "secrets and deaths" are better off sticking to gimmicky soap operas.

Submitted by Sirand on Sun, 02/24/2008 - 2:55pm.

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 02/24/2008 - 2:55pm.
Sirand's picture

Messiah hit the nail on the head. Lost is a thinking man's show, and leagues above sloppy pop-culture junk like Heroes, which are are made by network stooges who aren't even fans of the genre they're working in. If Abrams and Lindelof do this, it's pretty much guaranteed that the whole Lost crew will jump aboard...which means we'll be in for a smart and intense adaptation. Bring it on!

Submitted by Sirand on Sun, 02/24/2008 - 2:53pm.

Thanks for the lecture Messiahman, I really needed it. In other news, I've yet to see an episode of "Lost," even though I did intend on seeing it when it first started. Right now what with me knowing all the secrets and deaths, it seems pointless. Let them eat cake. This philistine will simply stick my regularly watched series, and movies.

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 02/24/2008 - 2:19pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

Same here. The most I have seen is a commercial of it here and there. It's good to know I am not alone.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Sun, 02/24/2008 - 11:35am.

I pride myself on two things (amongst many others of course): #1, I have never seen "Chariots of Fire" (quite a feat for someone aged 40 who grew up in the UK) and #2, I have never watched a single second of any episode of "Lost".

Submitted by PelusaMG on Sun, 02/24/2008 - 11:23am.
Messiahman's picture

I love it when people bitch about LOST, which has featured some of the very best storytelling on television (Season 2 very much included). And it's always the same ridiculous kvetching -- "they never give us any answers, blah, blah, blah!" As anyone who actually watches the show knows, there have been plenty of answers given, as well as new questions posed. Which is the nature of an arc-based television show. The mystery of the island is the friggin' premise of the show, but ADD-addled fanboys want everything NOW, NOW NOW. Honestly, if you want easy-answer, no intelligence required TV, watch garbage like CSI. Me, I'll take a well-told novel for television any day over that tripe. But then, I actually appreciate good storytelling.

There's nothing mediocre about lost; the only mediocrity resides in the whiners themselves. And until you produce a television show, a movie, anything worth watching, save us the lame sarcastic posturing about creators who have done one hell of a lot more than you. Those who can't do, bitch.

Abrams and Lindelof are absolutely PERFECT for THE DARK TOWER. I can't think of anyone better-suited to adapt it.

Submitted by Messiahman on Sun, 02/24/2008 - 6:48am.
Johnny Butane's picture

I'm sorry but Lost S2 was horribly lame, but season 3 and what has happened on 4 is fucking great. I can see them doing it well, but really it's all about the casting for this. Choosing a Roland is going to be... difficult.

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Sat, 02/23/2008 - 11:26pm.
Sirand's picture

Lost is brilliant and contains a lot of Dark Tower elements. I'm down for this.

Submitted by Sirand on Sat, 02/23/2008 - 12:32pm.

It's true. Who better to adapt Stephen King's sprawling fantasy epic than the CREATIVE FORCE behind two mediocre television programs, an okay Mission Impossible sequel, and an overhyped monster movie.

My enthusiasm is palpable. Can you feel it? Wait, no. That's just indigestion caused by the last three seasons of LOST.

Submitted by mansuave on Sat, 02/23/2008 - 11:58am.

It's the best way to go, thus making the first movie a part of a bigger story. I'm looking forward to it.

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 02/23/2008 - 11:13am.