6 Minutes of King's Talisman!

Why wait around for studios to get their collective acts together and adapt one of your favorite author's stories? Canadian filmmaker Mathieu Ratthe sure didn't.

Ratthe jumped the gun and produced a six-minute short based on Stephen King's 1986 novel "The Talisman", a tale of a young man who must brave through a fantastical journey in order to save his ailing mother. OK, six minutes may not be enough time to capture the entirety of the book but that's not really Mathieu's goal, "My main objective for creating this piece is to demonstrate my directing ability and my vision to the producers who own the rights to the story."

We've embedded the short below. Watch, discuss and enjoy!

- Syxx

Discuss this short film in the Dread Central Forums!

Cash Bailey's picture

Terrible acting. It was far too long for no reason. But technically it looked great. The scenery outside the window was perfect.

Submitted by Cash Bailey on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 11:39pm.

I enjoyed that - some good tension/jump moments, loved the look of the piece, and thought it set things up nicely for the viewer (such as me) to want to see more. I hope this sets some balls rolling for you... All the best!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 8:58pm.
Agonistes's picture

The actress was horrible, but otherwise relatively well done.

Submitted by Agonistes on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 4:55pm.
Sirand's picture

Casting decisions aside, that showed more skill than Mick Garris' entire filmography combined.

The Talisman is one of my all time favorite novels, but unless someone gave Del Toro $150 mil and 4 hours to adapt it, it's not worth doing.

Submitted by Sirand on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 10:22am.

Wow, um...thanks but no thanks.

First off, it's great to have a dolly, but you don't need to use it EVERY frigging shot. The beauty of a camera is that it doesn't always have to move.

Second, if you're trying to demonstrate your directing ability and vision, you might want to get a non-overbearing sound designer to do it. That was some of the most annoying, overbearing, obtrusive and frustrating sound design I've ever encountered. Six minutes of that made me want to tear my hear out, I can't imagine how much I would had an hour and a half or more of it.

Third, good luck.

Submitted by G.D. on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 9:32am.

The sound was not that bad. I think you are being a bit over dramatic.

Submitted by thedarkestshadow on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 1:11pm.

Yes, indeed I was being overdramatic.

Much like the sound design in that clip.

Overwrought "spooky" sound design is as annoying to me as the dreaded "MTV style" of editing. God forbid you let the picture tell the story.

Sometimes silence is golden.

The thing I hate most in a horror movie is when the music/sound design try to tell me that everything is "creepy and wrong". Silence does that just as well. In fact, an absence of ambient noise would work much better, in my mind.

Also, and this is admittedly a nitpick, but how creepy a kid do you have to be to open the shower door when you think your mom is in there?

Submitted by G.D. on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 6:00pm.
Messiahman's picture

Heh.

G.D. being overdramatic? Perish the thought! ;-)

Submitted by Messiahman on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 4:28pm.