4

Fickman Shepherding RKO Remakes

Andy Fickman behind RKO remakesA new development has come to light regarding the proposed remakes of classic RKO horror pictures today, with the announcement that RKO’s new horror subsidiary Roseblood would be joining with Twisted Pictures to make the remakes a reality, according to Variety.

Andy Fickman (Race to Witch Mountain) will be “godfathering” four of the remakes, with an eye to direct at least one of them. The remakes on the table now are I Walked With a Zombie, The Body Snatcher, Five Came Back and Bedlam. Other RKO titles were mentioned when Roseblood first formed, but the list has been shaved down to these four to start with.

Despite a noticeable lack of genre cred (he produced Anaconda, that’s about it), Fickman actually sounds like he’d be a pretty good choice to make sure these remakes are done right, “After Frankenstein and the Wolfman came Lewton and RKO, and what they lacked in budgets they made up for with atmosphere, imagination and great directors making horror with psychological flair,” he told the trade. “It was on the heels of WWII, when Nazi Germany showed that the scariest enemy might be the person who looked like your next door neighbor. It didn’t have to be some creature.”

No word on which remake will be first or when it will get behind cameras, but if course we’ll let you know as soon as we hear anything new!

Johnny Butane

“>CHECK OUT DREAD CENTRAL’S NEW POSTER STORE!
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Tell us what you want remade in the Dread Central forums!

Friday The 13th March Box of Dread

Box of Dread
*US Residents only

Johnny Butane

  • frank_dracman

    Phlegmatic.
    Hey kids, there’s a three dollar word for you! That is how Frank feels about the remake beast. I used to get all upset, but now unemotional seems to sum up my feelings.
    It’s like prison sex. Whether you like it or not, you’re gonna get it, so you might as well think happy thoughts or pretend to be somewhere else. By the time this trend is over, every single horror movie worth watching will be remade. A few good ones may fall out of Hollywood’s ass once in a while, but the rest will be, as Gus so properly put it, shit.

    • Gus Bjork

      It’s just odd to me that these are remade since, beyond fans, there is probably little name recognition to the general audience. Cat People would be closest and that’s already been remade. And quite nicely I might add. Horror turned it’s back on sex in about 1989 and that’s just too bad. Remake the Lewton library? It’s just a question of why.

      I would love to see the Val Lewton style return. So much horror revels in excess. And the Lewton movies were all about pull back. A big part of that was simply budget but damn did he put together talent that could make that pull back interesting. For crying out loud Isle of the Dead was all build up for one scene! And that scene was a huge kick in the nuts. My dad talks about seeing that in the theater as a kid and that messed him up, about the same way it hit me when I saw it on dvd. After all I have seen over the last 40 years, this was one of the few that actually kind of kept me up at night.

      Speaking of Isle of the Dead, to me this is the one most worthy of a remake and it’s not on the list. The Body Snatchers was all about Karloff and you would need a someone with his charisma to make it worthwhile. Bedlam has been essentially redone many times over although I wonder if someone could try and sell the audience on a Quaker hero. But Isle of the Dead. Set it in the Middle East. Religion versus science in an extreme circumstance. You would need a set of balls to bring in Islam though and balls are sadly lacking these days….

      Story, character, build up and suspense. That ghost story feel. A real sensation rather than a roller coaster rush, that’s what I miss. I don’t buy that this is the intent of the crew looking into it now. I respect that RKO looked at these as a cash grab with no care for merit. But they, like Corman in the 70’s, took a step back and claimed 25% for marketing and left the remaining 75% to artists. And out of that came great films (along with a shitload of lousy films but, hey, who’s perfect?)

      I miss that.

  • Gus Bjork

    Shit

  • Caterpillar

    Fickman? Damn, I’d love to see that name pop up in front of a German audience.