Dinner for Fiends - Hit It and Quit It

Dinner for Fiends - Hit It and Quit ItIn the interest of making good on our vow to produce shorter, but more frequent episodes of Dinner for Fiends, we bring you this somewhat consolidated discussion, in which not every Fiend could participate.

On this menu you’ll mostly hear from Andrew, Buz and me (with an 11th hour join by Uncle Creepy). We spend most of the time discussing horror on television, specifically the much-maligned finale of “American Horror Story: Coven.”

At the time of this recording, no one else had watched “True Detective,” which means I only gush about it a little bit.

Other topics covered include:

• I, Frankenstein
  • Devil’s Due
  • Grabbers
  • Berberian Sound Studio

Running just north of an hour, there are a few other things covered, but at least you don’t have to set aside a massive hunk of your afternoon in order to get through this sucker. Will it lead to more frequent installments of Dinner for Fiends? Eh, who the hell can say? But for now, bon appétit!

• Click here to download or just listen to the latest DFF on your computer!
  • Click here to listen to Dinner for Fiends on your computer!
  • Click here to subscribe to the Dinner for Fiends podcast!
  • (non-iTunes)
  • Click here to subscribe to the Dinner for Fiends podcast! (iTunes)
  • VISIT THE EVILSHOP @ AMAZON!
    Eat up in the comments section below!

Gus Bjork's picture

You've sold me on True Detective. Wish I had HBO.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Tue, 02/18/2014 - 8:28pm.
    aliensharkboy's picture

Awesome podcast guys (as always). As for giving a rating/review on itunes? Well, truth being, itunes scares me. And I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot machete.

Ya know, it seems second halves of seasons (mainly horror) generally go off track nowadays; The Walking Dead season 3, AHS: Coven and Under The Dome (which scrambled its potential by the fifth episode) all did it in some shape or form. What's up with that?

And I find it difficult encouraging myself to get into Supernatural when all you guys seem to talk about is its major flaws - none of which sound too appealing. It's almost like you only enjoy that show for the nostalgia factor.
    On the other hand, I'm desperate to start watching Hannibal. I saw the pilot and loved it, but in the UK it's either impossible or too expensive to find a way to watch it. I will find a way soon damn it!

And what's with the sudden Underworld hate? Other than the latest installment, I thought they were fairly well respected on DC... might've just been me. I dunno. I'm tired.

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Sat, 02/15/2014 - 8:05pm.
    The Buz's picture

You are quite weird with your anti-iTunes feelings.

Also Supernatural is incredible for the first 5 seasons. And there's some really awesome stuff after that.

But the first 5 seasons are just fucking great... except maybe Season 1.

Submitted by The Buz on Mon, 02/17/2014 - 9:22pm.
    aliensharkboy's picture

Well... you're quite weird with your lonely island of Pacific Rim hate, so there. ;)

Chernobyl Kinsman said the same thing about Supernatural, so I may have to try it out after all. Up to season 5 I shall go.

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Tue, 02/18/2014 - 8:20am.
    Matt Serafini's picture

I like the Underworld movies. But I think I'm the only one on DFF who does.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Sat, 02/15/2014 - 11:19pm.
    The Buz's picture

I like them only for the WE CAN BY LYCANS joke from way back when.

Submitted by The Buz on Wed, 02/19/2014 - 5:26pm.
    aliensharkboy's picture

I could've sworn UC was giving the Underworld films some praise in the opening of his Underworld: Awakening review. But then again, it sounded like he was bashing them in the I, Frankenstein discussion.

I re-watched the first Underworld just one day before listening to this podcast, so my mind's in a sort of Underworld thought process. I really don't get why people hate it so much. The worst part is how it's so often pushed down to the level of the Resident Evil films - it's WAY better than those.

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Sun, 02/16/2014 - 9:41pm.
    Matt Serafini's picture

The "problem" I have with the first Underworld is that the damn extended cut is the only one available anymore.

Of the whole franchise, it's the one that has something approaching pacing issues, and that's heightened in the EC.

Having said that, I agree with you. I credit the Underworld franchise for having an expansive mythology filled with interesting characters. No, it's not perfect, but it was ambitious and I appreciate that.

I like them all to varying degrees. 2 is my favorite, but I even like Awakening a little bit. It feels like half a movie though, and that's its biggest problem.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Tue, 02/18/2014 - 9:06am.
    aliensharkboy's picture

No one ever said perfect. But as far as its intentions to play out like a live-action comic book goes, I'd argue that it's got more brains than it's unfairly made out to have. And 2's my favourite as well man! Tighter script, more confident performances, and some very stylish gory action.

Ya know, I actually had never watched the extended cut before the other day - I didn't even know it existed! And I'd agree with you. Other than some nice extra background to the main characters, it felt quite sluggish.
    So yeah, Ima stick to my non-extended French DVD.

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Tue, 02/18/2014 - 4:22pm.
    GODFLESH69's picture

I agree The Underworld franchise is at another level than the RE franchise they have so much more integrity . I personally think each installment has been entertaining .

Submitted by GODFLESH69 on Mon, 02/17/2014 - 1:19pm.
    aliensharkboy's picture

I only defend the first 2 Underworlds. As for Awakening? Well, it did have one excellent bit of imagery during a certain scene involving Selene crawling through an air vent. Mesmerizing if I may say so.

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Mon, 02/17/2014 - 8:05pm.
    moderator I liked the first three. The

I liked the first three. The last one threw everything that made them good away for a giant CGI werewolf and a bratty vamp kid.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 02/17/2014 - 4:05am.
    aliensharkboy's picture

Point taken and agreed with.

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Mon, 02/17/2014 - 5:31am.
    GODFLESH69's picture

Nope I dig them as well , you've got F'n Vampires VS Werewolves good times for me!

Submitted by GODFLESH69 on Sun, 02/16/2014 - 6:16pm.
    moderator Don't forget The Following.
    Debi Moore's picture

Don't forget The Following. Talk about a disappointing second half! Two that got it right though are Hannibal and Bates Motel. Do whatever it takes to get hold of Hannibal especially... It's brilliant.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Sat, 02/15/2014 - 10:39pm.
    aliensharkboy's picture

I actually haven't gotten around to watching The Following yet... I'm quite desperate to though (huge Kevin Bacon fan since the age of 7). And so long as the second season is back on track (which is what I've been hearing), then I'm totally up for getting into it and sticking with it.

I completely forgot about Bates Motel. I've heard a lot of good, but once again, nothing in the reviews I've read really screams "THIS makes the show unmissable"; like all opinions about its qualities are scattered. If someone sums it up in a single clear sentence, I'll be giving it a go for sure. I do love Psycho.

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Sun, 02/16/2014 - 9:28pm.

Just watch Supernatural up to the end of season 5, that completes the major arcs and comes to a good close IMO.

Submitted by Chernobyl Kinsman on Sat, 02/15/2014 - 9:27pm.
    The Buz's picture

This will be up on iTunes shortly guys. Working on some technical difficulties with archaic technology.

Submitted by The Buz on Fri, 02/14/2014 - 5:51pm.