Celebrating the Tasty, Tasty Human: Five Cannibal Film Favorites

Celebrating the Tasty, Tasty Human: Five Cannibal Film FavoritesThe American remake of We Are What We Are (review) hits VOD on December 17, and while the Mexican thriller of the same name is superior, Jim Mickle’s take on ritualistic cannibalism is a damned fine film in its own right and certainly one of the better cannibal-centric movies to come out recently.

Making a list of the “best” cannibal movies out there is a fool’s errand, if only because it invariably leads to someone saying I have no idea what I’m talking about because I left this film or that film off the list, prompting me to question everything I know and love. You proud of yourself now?

Therefore, instead of a “Best Cannibal Films” list, I’m treating you to a list of my favorite cannibal-centric movies. And no, Cannibal Holocaust is not on the list ‘cause that movie is gross and made me leave the room twice while watching it. And I sat through the entirety of From Justin to Kelly so you know it must have been vile enough if it made me walk out.

Celebrating the Tasty, Tasty Human: Five Cannibal Film Favorites

Ravenous: I don’t care what anyone says; Antonia Bird’s incredibly underrated film Ravenous is the best cannibal movie ever made. A subtly brilliant critique of Catholicism by way of the Wendigo myth during the Mexican-American War, Ravenous follows Guy Pearce as Captain John Boyd, a soldier relocated to a remote outpost in the Sierra Nevadas. While there, he and his new motley crew are visited by the seemingly starving Colqhoun, played by Robert Carlyle, who tells a tale of murder and cannibalism. Michael Nyman and Damon Albarn’s beautiful score was one of the first soundtracks I ever purchased (the second was Moulin Rouge! ‘cause fuck you, that movie is awesome) and remains a favorite of many to this day. Sadly, director Antonia Bird, who replaced the film’s original helmer at the insistence of Carlyle, recently passed away so go watch this one in her honor.

"And no, Cannibal Holocaust is not on the list ‘cause that movie is gross and made me leave the room twice while watching it."

Wow. Very hardcore, man.

And what's "Justin the Kelly"?

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 01/02/2014 - 9:25am.
frank_dracman's picture

I believe he's referring to the 2003 classic, From Justin to Kelly. Don't ask me how I know that.

Anyway, maybe he didn't watch it because of the graphic animal violence. That I can understand. The turtle scene may be too much for an animal lover to handle. Hell, I'm jaded as fuck and it still makes me squirm. Still a good, and not to mention important, horror movie.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Thu, 01/02/2014 - 11:20am.
Brad McHargue's picture

Not many things bother me, but a couple scenes definitely caused me to leave the room.

But yeah, it's a list of my favorites. CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST isn't a favorite; ergo, I excluded it. Not discounting how important the film is to the genre, however. It definitely is. I just don't really care for it, at least when compared to the other films.

Submitted by Brad McHargue on Sat, 01/04/2014 - 1:54pm.

It's THE Cannibal movie. The exclusion of it for the inclusion of "Alive" is absurd. "Cannibal Holocaust" isn't JUST about cannibals. It has much more subtext than that. And it's also kind of weird to see a list about cannibal movies only for the writer to say "Ew, the Cannibal Holocaust movie was gross! Ew! Ew!"

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 01/02/2014 - 3:07pm.
Brad McHargue's picture

It's a list of my favorite cannibal movies, not a list of the best. There's a difference.

Submitted by Brad McHargue on Sat, 01/04/2014 - 1:52pm.
Cinemascribe's picture

"And, no, Cannibal Holocaust isn't on this list because that movie is gross and made me leave the room twice while watching it."

Aaaannnd that's where I lost interest.

Moving on.

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Thu, 01/02/2014 - 6:38am.
Brad McHargue's picture

Again, a list of my favorites, not a list of the best. CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST is no doubt the best in the "cannibal" sub-genre, I'm just not too fond of it.

Submitted by Brad McHargue on Sat, 01/04/2014 - 1:52pm.

oh my god i love cannibal movies but the only i seen on this list is the taxes chainsaw massacre

Submitted by horrorlover96 on Thu, 01/02/2014 - 2:04am.