David Cronenberg Has Some Surprisingly Choice Words for Stanley Kubrick

David Cronenberg Has Some Surprisingly Choice Words for Stanley KubrickIn a recent interview with The Toronto Star, acclaimed filmmaker David Cronenberg had some very interesting words about the late great Stanley Kubrick. Will this cause the same fervor as Romero stating he's not into "The Walking Dead"?

Kubrick will be getting his own exhibit at next year's Toronto International Film Festival, and the news sparked an unexpected reaction from Cronenberg toward the filmmaker and more specifically his version of Stephen King's The Shining.

I think I’m a more intimate and personal filmmaker than Kubrick ever was,” Cronenberg said. “That’s why I find The Shining not to be a great film. I don’t think he understood the [horror] genre. I don’t think he understood what he was doing. There were some striking images in the book and he got that, but I don’t think he really felt it. In a weird way, although he’s revered as a high-level cinematic artist, I think he was much more commercial-minded and was looking for stuff that would click and that he could get financed. I think he was very obsessed with that, to an extent that I’m not. Or that Bergman or Fellini were.

Well... okay then?

Be a dick in the comments section below!

Source: The Toronto Star

Has Cronenberg made 1664 movies yet?

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 11/05/2013 - 12:44am.
MonsterMash's picture

WHO THE FUCK SAID HE COULD HAVE A JELLY DOUGHNUT?! In all seriousness, both are masters of their craft.

Submitted by MonsterMash on Tue, 11/05/2013 - 12:22am.
kiddcapone's picture

I'm with Serafini. If Cronenberg is talking strictly about adaptation from novel to film, Kubrick did miss so many key aspects of the story that his opinion might not be necessarily incorrect. But it was probably all intentional because it's well documented Kubrick was an egotistical tyrant and changed things just to piss off King.

I only disagree that The Shining is not a great movie, because it most certainly is a great film.

Submitted by kiddcapone on Mon, 11/04/2013 - 7:27pm.
aliensharkboy's picture

Each to their own. I actually respect it when big filmmakers criticize each others works... not sure why. I guess it's only Terminal and kiddcapone's opinions I never respect (nothing personal, babes).

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Mon, 11/04/2013 - 6:43pm.

That's keeping me up nights, guy I've never met and will probably never meet.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 11/04/2013 - 10:11pm.
kiddcapone's picture

It just goes to show that while some people don't always agree, at least they remember the things I throw out there. Isn't that what counts? I mean, here I am, trying to think of something really witty to respond with, and I can't honestly recall anything Aliensharkboy has ever said. I guess that speaks volumes for relevancy...

Submitted by kiddcapone on Mon, 11/04/2013 - 7:05pm.
aliensharkboy's picture

I guess I'm pretty bland LOL

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Mon, 11/04/2013 - 7:39pm.
Sirand's picture

Cue the idiots saying how crappy Cronenberg is...

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 11/04/2013 - 6:29pm.
The Buz's picture

CRONENBERG IS A FUCKING HACK.

HAVE YOU SEEN JASON X?! SHOWS HOW MUCH HE KNOWS BY THE VERY FACT HE'D EVEN AGREE TO BE IN SUCH GARBAGE.

FUCK YOU CRONENBERG. YOU STUPID CUNT WIPE OF PERSON YOU HAVE NO SOUL I HATE YOU.

Submitted by The Buz on Mon, 11/04/2013 - 6:35pm.

Best comment ever... Other than when a girlfriend once said, "Oh... I already swallowed it!". THAT was THE best comment... EVER!!! :D

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 11/05/2013 - 12:42am.
Matt Serafini's picture

I don't think he's wrong about The Shining, per se.

Kubrick's movie and King's novel work differently and I'm okay with that.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Mon, 11/04/2013 - 6:26pm.