The Youth of Today Do Not Find John Carpenter's Halloween Scary

The Youth of Today Do Not Find Halloween ScaryWhile scouring the wire for news for you cats, we came across an interesting tidbit over on Yahoo! Movies concerning a "study" done with millennial subjects who reveal that they don't find the John Carpenter classic Halloween scary.

According to the site: Halloween just didn't do it for most of our millennial subjects in the scare department. In response to an overarching question asking to rate the film's "scariness" on a scale of 1-10, the film registered a meager 5.4 rating. The highest single rating it got? A 7.5. The lowest, a 2.

"It was extremely corny," said Ryan Eclarin, a senior English major at UCLA. "I found it immensely more comical than scary."

Jason Serio, 21, a business major at Glendale Community College, echoed Eclarin's sentiments that the film is unintentionally funny. "It was one of the LOL-worthiest movies I have seen in a while."

There are some differing opinions as well from students who did enjoy it, but it begs a question... Have we as a whole become jaded and desensitized? Or maybe the kids polled were just your usual know nothing asshats? A bit of both maybe? Head on over here to read the whole article and let us know how you feel below. Did the film scare you? Does it still? Sound off!

Tell us your fears in the comments section below.

Source: Yahoo! Movies

i hope yahoo movies spent a fortune on this "study".
does any 20+yo college student find any horror movie scary?
and think of all the horror movies made since halloween that has a slasher in a mask that they've seen before seeing the original halloween.

Submitted by shallowcuts on Mon, 10/28/2013 - 11:36am.
Shambling_in_Bandages's picture

So, it's taken 30 years for 'Halloween' to "not be scary". What's the excuse for most of today's horror movies?

Submitted by Shambling_in_Ba... on Mon, 10/28/2013 - 10:53am.
Cinemascribe's picture

I literally grew up with John Carpenter's Halloween. It's my favorite horror film . The movie scared me as a young boy and it still scares me now. I'm not surprised at all to read this headline, though. I clued into this several years back when Rob Zombie's bombastic remake was being discussed on the Shock Till You Drop website and all kinds of people- their ages skewing younger based on the tone (and grammar) of their posts - were claiming it was scarier than the original in every way. That isn't terror, its shock and awe and, unfortunately, that's what the younger fans are all about. It has to be hardcore, bloody and in your face to register (This is one reason why I'm so thrilled about the success of my favorite film of 2013 so far,The Conjuring. It's such a joy to see a film that favors suspense over gore knock it out of the park). Here's the kicker though:I'd be willing to bet that these people are not watching the orignal under the right circumstances. One of the reasons horror films work so well in a theater is that we're sitting in the dark, either alone or surrounded by strangers, with nothing distracting us from what's happening up on that screen. If you're watching a horror film that's all about mood, atmosphere and the cultivation of increasing levels of suspense as part of a focus group or in a room surrounded by friends joking around while it plays then, no, it probably won't be able to work it's magic. That goes for any film. But if the same people saying Halloween isn't scary at all were to view the film by themselves- with all the lights off and no distractions - I guarantee you they'd be a lot more scared than they're willing to admit.

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Sat, 10/26/2013 - 8:43am.
James Coker's picture

I'm I millennial and I was actually scared of Halloween when I first saw it at age 11. For weeks after that I was certain Michael Myers was hiding in every dark or dimly lit room in the house waiting to stab me. And what scared me about Michael so much was that he was a monster in your suburban neighborhood. In your house!

Submitted by James Coker on Sat, 10/26/2013 - 3:40am.
BrianJoynt's picture

It's not corny, and it's not "LOL-worthy." It wasn't as scary for me as A Nightmare on Elm Street was, but it still has a powerful atmosphere of dread and tension. "Usual no-nothing asshats" is correct, Uncle Creepy. Spot on.

Submitted by BrianJoynt on Sat, 10/26/2013 - 1:44am.

I never found it scary either - watched it at age 12 (saw the first 30 min of NOES at 10 and didn't sleep for two weeks), its more atmospheric than scary, tension rather than fear.

Submitted by Chernobyl Kinsman on Fri, 10/25/2013 - 10:21pm.

That said, "It was one of the LOL-worthiest movies I have seen in a while." is pretty fucking retarded.

its like when I saw Suspiria with the original composer doing the soundtrack live, there were a bunch of hipster fucks trying to laugh in all the wrong places (and tbh, there are some places in Suspiria that are quite stupid-funny).

Submitted by Chernobyl Kinsman on Fri, 10/25/2013 - 10:35pm.

I can't recall if Halloween ever scared me or not. If it did, it doesn't anymore. Black Christmas on the other hand still scares me as much as it did the first time around.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Fri, 10/25/2013 - 9:38pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

Remember though at the time the original Frankenstein, apparently, was a terrifying film. How many people here think that it is scary?

So it goes. Generations have their special sacred things. The boogyman is going to get them too someday soon.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Fri, 10/25/2013 - 9:10pm.
Rob's picture

I have to be honest. First time I saw Halloween, it didn't scare me at all. The original Nightmare on Elm Street scared me, as did Alien, and John Carpenter's The Thing fucked me up when I saw it the first time, but Halloween did nothing for me at all. The opening creeped me out a little, but that was it.

Submitted by Rob on Fri, 10/25/2013 - 9:01pm.
Debi Moore's picture

I didn't see Halloween in the theater, but I did watch it on VHS soon afterwards and remember being pretty darn scared. Definitely more so than by anything else that came out around that time. I think people today are a lot more jaded just by virtue of how graphic movies, games, and even TV shows are nowadays. Their loss for sure, but you can't put the rabbit back in the hat. :(

Submitted by Debi Moore on Fri, 10/25/2013 - 8:04pm.
MonsterMash's picture

I am ashamed of my generation. When I first saw it it scared me good. Its sad when we live in a world where the word LOL-worthiest exists.

Submitted by MonsterMash on Fri, 10/25/2013 - 7:40pm.