Take a Look at the Event Horizon You Didn't See

Take a Look at the Event Horizon You Didn't SeeThe year was 1997, and the film Event Horizon had us all thinking that director Paul W.S. Anderson was someone we needed to keep an eye on. Simply put, the film (even though it was cut and edited to shreds) was spooky and damned good.

It was apparent that somewhere within Event Horizon there was a perversely dark and violent film lurking, but thanks to a cut-happy MPAA and overzealous editing, we never really got to see any of it. That's why when we were made aware of the following Imgur album, we got pretty ecstatic. Finally we can gaze upon its horrors via screen grabs that allow us a good look at the film's lunacy and violent tendencies. Check 'em out below, and pray for an unrated cut. One day the video gods will make it happen, at least we hope that they can.

In the film starring Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, and Kathleen Quinlan, a rescue crew investigates a spaceship that disappeared into a black hole and has now returned... with someone or something new on board.

Event Horizon

See things in the comments section below.

aliensharkboy's picture

An unrated cut would be a dream come true. Damn I love everything about this movie.

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Fri, 08/16/2013 - 5:42pm.
Rottenjesus's picture

Judging from Paul WS Anderson's output since this film I'm thinking that no amount of "lost footage" could make it any less painful to suffer through.

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Mon, 08/12/2013 - 11:26pm.
frank_dracman's picture

A lot avoid this simply because Anderson directed it. So I'm confused. Did you "suffer" through it or have you not seen it? I mean if you didn't like it that's fine, but if his name is keeping you from seeing it you're doing yourself a great disservice. Every squirrel gets a nut and this was Anderson's.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Tue, 08/13/2013 - 10:43am.
Rottenjesus's picture

Yeah, I saw it years ago and again recently via Netflix. The only thing nutty is that this shit was 96 minutes too long.

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Tue, 08/13/2013 - 7:17pm.
frank_dracman's picture

Ah, see, you knew who Anderson was when you saw it. When it came out he was just anther director no one heard of. I can't help but think you went into it with just a bit of bias. I still say it's a pretty great nut.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Tue, 08/13/2013 - 9:58pm.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

As it stands the film is really good. Personally I would think that lingering on so much violence might actually hurt the film; turning it from unsettling flashes that disturb because you don't quite know what you've seen to just another gore show case.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Mon, 08/12/2013 - 5:39pm.
frank_dracman's picture

I don't know. Some of the effects are really cool, but you pretty much have to pause the movie to get a look at them. I get what you're saying in the "did I just see what I think I did?" sense, but at the same time someone worked really hard to create that stuff and I for one would like to see it. Plus any reason to watch it again is fine with me.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Mon, 08/12/2013 - 9:23pm.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

I can understand that; however it's ultimately what is best for the film. For me there comes a point where there's so much gore to shock the audience it goes over the top and goes from shock to 'meh'.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Mon, 08/12/2013 - 9:40pm.
frank_dracman's picture

Ah, dammint, what you're saying makes perfect sense and it's conflicting with what I want. I think you won me over.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Mon, 08/12/2013 - 10:12pm.

It's better than most of Anderson's work, but that's not saying much. None of the scares are effective and several scenes that are meant to frighten are actually quite funny! Such as the one where that one guy's eyeballs burst while he's floating through space. I think the film would have benefited greatly from the added gore.

I can see now why Anderson decided to tone down his films since then. He's probably sick and tired of fighting with the MPAA.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Mon, 08/12/2013 - 6:23pm.
Shambling_in_Bandages's picture

Hang on a sec, I thought they said they'd lost all this footage sometime prior to the last Special Edition DVD they released and that's why it wasn't any kind of Extended Director's Cut? They were bullshitting? Or has it been conveniently relocated just in time for another dip on home video?

Submitted by Shambling_in_Ba... on Mon, 08/12/2013 - 4:30pm.
frank_dracman's picture

I could have sworn they said the same thing. Man, I hope they were bullshitting. That would make the best haunted-house-in-space-movie even better!

Submitted by frank_dracman on Mon, 08/12/2013 - 4:35pm.
moderator As for the whereabouts of

As for the whereabouts of said footage its denied to exist so who knows. What these are are high res screen grabs from the existing film which just appeared briefly in blink and you miss it fashion.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 08/12/2013 - 4:52pm.
James Coker's picture

my god its Hellraiser in space!....what Hellraiser 4 should of been

Submitted by James Coker on Mon, 08/12/2013 - 4:23pm.