Spawn Reboot Still in the Works with Big Interest from Jamie Foxx

Syfy Finds Working with Jamie Foxx to be HorrifyingFor at least the last four years, if not longer, every now and then a story leaks out about Todd McFarlane's long talked about Spawn remake, and the last time we heard from him, he mentioned an Academy Award-winning actor waiting in the wings. Out of Comic-Con came a hint of who that might be.

Movies.com was chatting with Jamie Foxx about his first appearance in a superhero movie as the villain Electro in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (due out May 2, 2014), and another comics-based character came up. When discussing projects he's trying to make happen, Foxx mentioned an adaptation of Spawn.

"Spawn is one, yeah," said the versatile actor. "And Mike Tyson. Those are two roles I would just love to do. I'm aggressively pursuing them."

Foxx's comments reminded us of the last time we heard from McFarlane himself back in February of this year:"I continue writing pages here and there," he said. "I have a guy waiting in the sidelines, an Academy Award-winning actor. Every three weeks he’s on the phone going, ‘Todd, where’s the script? Todd, where’s the script?’ I can’t say who it is. He came out to the office. He gave me his pitch, and I gave him mine. The pitch I gave was that we could do ten of these for the next ten years and he wouldn’t have to be 22 for the rest of his life."

Could the stars finally aligning? Stay tuned... again.

Spawn with others in the comments section below!

Source: Movies.com

DavidFullam's picture

Go away Jamie Foxx and never come back.

Submitted by DavidFullam on Mon, 07/29/2013 - 11:10am.
Shambling_in_Bandages's picture

I guess Jamie Foxx is determined to single-handedly destroy superhero movies.

His turn as Mister Freezelectro is already shaping up to be a cinematic disaster.

Submitted by Shambling_in_Ba... on Sun, 07/28/2013 - 6:17am.

I'm kind of confused by McFarlane's comment, "he wouldn't have to be 22 for the rest of his life." Doesn't sound to me like he was referring to Foxx.

Submitted by addeisdead on Sat, 07/27/2013 - 11:29pm.

I'd rather see Idris Elba in the role of Spawn. He'd also make a kick-ass Blade too.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Sat, 07/27/2013 - 2:02pm.
frank_dracman's picture

Oh my god. You're totally on to something there. Someone get this man a cookie!

Submitted by frank_dracman on Sat, 07/27/2013 - 2:44pm.
LifeMi's picture

Idris Elba as Spawn = brilliance

Submitted by LifeMi on Sun, 07/28/2013 - 1:49pm.
arandomthought's picture

I feel like I'm the only one that is excited for this.

Submitted by arandomthought on Sat, 07/27/2013 - 1:11pm.
frank_dracman's picture

If they avoid the PG-13 horseshit and bring us a true-to-the-comics Spawn I'd be all over it. Foxx has his hits and misses, and I think he would be fine in the role. I really would love to see Michael Jai White reprise the role, but there's no way Hollywood would take a chance on an obscure actor. Too bad, as I thought he was perfect.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Sat, 07/27/2013 - 1:38pm.
arandomthought's picture

quite honestly with as much respect that I have for Michael Jai White I really want anything to do with the previous movie out of it.

I wouldn't mind Idris Alba, and I wouldn't mind Jamie Foxx either. I would really hope that is does get made.

Submitted by arandomthought on Sun, 07/28/2013 - 9:26am.