#SDCC 2013: Everything We Learned About The Vampire Diaries Season 5
During the SDCC roundtables for "The Vampire Diaries," we chatted with most of the stars in attendance, but per usual the bulk of our info came from the show's executive producer, in this case Caroline Dries.
Candice Accola – Caroline
- She's excited about Caroline going to college because Candice herself never went.
- Last season began with a dark tone, but this new season starts lighter because a lot of the characters are not aware of the new threat.
- There may be possibilities for Klaus (Joseph Morgan) and Caroline to cross paths again, but right now the producers want both shows to stand on their own.
Nina Dobrev – Elena
- Nina had one piece of advice to Paul Wesley upon learning that he’ll be playing two characters also: "Sleep now while you still can!"
Ian Somerhalder – Damon
- The producers are trying to dial down the darkness of the show, tone-wise and color-wise. So for Season 5 they are returning to the interactions among the characters like in earlier seasons and not just depending on big action and explosions.
Paul Wesley – Stefan
- Stefan is having hallucinations under the water.
- Silas is impersonating Stefan very well, at least at the beginning, but eventually it’ll be very apparent who’s who.
Caroline Dries – Executive Producer
- They create their own mythology but try to ground their ideas on the already existing concept. So the idea of Silas was conceived from the devil serpent.
- They rejected the Dracula idea because it was too literal and the fans probably would make fun of it.
- Even though Damon was turned human in the books, the producers didn’t think there’d be much stakes resulting from it after the audience got over the initial shock. They also didn’t want to see Damon stop killing people. So they decided on Katherine because while she makes the best vampire, she would make the worst human.
- In the first episode in Season 5, Katherine will try to get turned back into a vampire, but that cannot happen anymore for her.
- Katherine continues to be bitchy, conniving and manipulative even though now she is a human that can get sick, be hurt and killed.
- Last season there were too many characters and storylines, and since "The Originals" have their own show, "TVD" has finished telling all the stories about the Originals on this show.
- Crossovers will happen, but it's hard to coordinate the storylines of both shows far enough ahead of time to work together. However, both shows’ offices are located next to each other so...
- In the show no one knows Bonnie has died, and eventually the audience will see what the other side looks like from Bonnie’s point of view.
- Right now the producers have no immediate plans to bring Bonnie back to life. The reason they killed Bonnie was because they had run the gamut of storylines to put a witch through that are not clichéd.
- The doppelganger mythology will unfold this year, and the audience will learn why Stefan is Silas’ doppelganger.
- We can expect some flashbacks about Silas, especially in Episode 5.03.
- Having taken over Stefan’s identity, Silas manages to fool everyone, but Damon should catch on soon because he knows his brother so well.
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Catch someone's eye in the comments section below!