Work on Long-Awaited Friday the 13th Sequel Starting Soon

Work on Long-Awaited Friday the 13th Sequel Starting SoonNow that the Friday the 13th franchise has come home to Paramount, we've been waiting patiently to find out when work will start on the next installment so we can get ourselves geared up for Jason's latest rampage. Finally we have something to report.

While answering fan questions on Twitter, Platinum Dunes' Brad Fuller posted the following, "We are wrapping TMNT and Almanac over the next month. Then we start to work on F13."

JUST BRING BACK DEREK MEARS!

Platinum Dunes is the production company created by Michael Bay, Brad Fuller, and Andrew Form. They have produced several genre remakes throughout the last decade including The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hitcher, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and, of course, Friday the 13th.

Having Jason back at Paramount has got to feel right to more fans than just us. It's no secret that the studio famously discarded the franchise at the end of the 1980s - after milking it for all it was worth. But there's something about this current alignment that gives us hope. We didn't like the last Friday the 13th much, but if they can just tweak those elements ever so slightly (likable characters, inventive kills, no captives), then they'll be on to something.

Work on Long-Awaited Friday the 13th Sequel Starting Soon

Stalk and slash in the comments section below.

Source: Brad Fuller on Twitter

I can't wait. Friday the 13th is one of my alltime favorite series and a new chapter has been a long time coming. I think what they have to do with this one is start Jason on the path to something more monsterous/inhuman than in the 2009 movie. Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of the 2009 one, but it's going to work best if the more 'human' Jason we saw was just the beginning, like he was in the first few movies of the original continuity, before he started evolving into something more. The only F13 so far I've actually disliked was "Jason X", which I think of as more a parody of the series than a part of it, but then I've never been into any of the Scream-type self-parodies. (Cool look for the character in Jason X, admittedly). The rest of the movies, from 1980 to 2009, have ranged from 'good' to 'awesome'.

As for everybody saying "enough sequels and remakes, we need more originals", I might agree (not that I don't like a lot of the sequels and remakes, but I like originals too), EXCEPT for one point: there actually ARE a huge amount of quality originals coming out over the last few years, it's just that most of them - "Splinter", "The Shock Labyrinth", "Blood River", "Siren", "Hansel And Gretel" (the Korean one), "The Barrens", "Pontypool", "Would You Rather", "Altitude", etc., etc. fly right under most people's radars. If you dig a bit, you'll find that it's actually a very fertile time for originals as well as for sequels and remakes. That isn't meant to rag on anyone, just to encourage people to try some of the stuff that isn't as high-profile. You'll be glad you did!

Submitted by Thirteenth Pyramid on Thu, 09/05/2013 - 7:13pm.
aliensharkboy's picture

By this point, I'm actually starting to miss the "Magical Negro" elements of the original Friday The 13th movies... new slasher movies rarely work, so like several others, I'm not looking forward to this.

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Tue, 07/30/2013 - 9:50am.
Shambling_in_Bandages's picture

Man, I hope this one is as fucking shit as the last one.

Submitted by Shambling_in_Ba... on Wed, 07/17/2013 - 12:30pm.
Rottenjesus's picture

FUCK REMAKE SEQUELS!

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Tue, 07/16/2013 - 10:26pm.

The only part I enjoyed in their last attempt was the sort of mini Friday the 13th film at the start, which actually had somewhat entertaining kills, and the perfect nipple placement line which was just so fucking weird it made me laugh.

Submitted by Chernobyl Kinsman on Tue, 07/16/2013 - 9:35pm.
Sirand's picture

When the series was at Paramount, they were negative pick-ups that were independently made. So being back at that studio means nothing.

Submitted by Sirand on Tue, 07/16/2013 - 8:22pm.

Friday the 13th is the least painful Platinum Dumbs remake.

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 07/16/2013 - 8:14pm.
Matt Serafini's picture

I much as I dislike the PD F13, I have to agree.

It's the least painful of all the Dunes movies.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Wed, 07/17/2013 - 7:54am.

Definitely. I can watch it without wanting to punch something. I never bothered with "Sophia Bush Vehicle" aka "The Hitcher" remake.

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 07/17/2013 - 9:05am.
moderator No way. Amityville was the

No way. Amityville was the least painless for sure.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Tue, 07/16/2013 - 9:38pm.

Amityville was a whole lot of nothing salvaged by Rachel Nichols' scene.

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 07/17/2013 - 9:02am.
kiddcapone's picture

I'd give the edge to the Texas Chainsaw remake, but that's probably cause I dug R Lee Ermey's character.

Kind of sad when you need to judge a movie studio by the least painful film to watch...how could something so right be so wrong...

Submitted by kiddcapone on Tue, 07/16/2013 - 9:46pm.

I despise "The Sheriff Hoyt Massacre guest starring Leatherface" movies.

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 07/17/2013 - 9:04am.

"After we're done butt-fucking the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, we'll get started on Vanilla the 13th Part 2!"

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Tue, 07/16/2013 - 6:55pm.
LOL
frank_dracman's picture

LOL

Submitted by frank_dracman on Tue, 07/16/2013 - 9:17pm.