Exclusive: 10 Questions with Elvira, Mistress of the Dark
5. I grew up listening to Elvira's Haunted Hits and the music compilations you contributed to. Are you ever planning on another one of those collections or new songs?
Elvira: No, there are no plans currently.
6. What projects are you working on currently?
Elvira: This year I became part owner of a huge new pop culture convention called Comikaze, along with my pal Stan Lee of Spider-Man fame, and also began the first year of Elvira's Horror Hunt, a film festival for indie horror films. The first of the year I'll be gearing up to expand both of those projects.
7. What's the question you're asked most in interviews?
Elvira: 'Are those real?' I assume they're talking about my fingernails.
8. Do you see yourself in Elvira?
Elvira: I really don't, but my closest friends tend to differ with me. I've finally decided that Elvira is me when I was a teenager... an overly confident, smartass know-it-all.
9. You've delved into so many branches of marketing: movies, games, perfume, music, and even beer. What would you like to tackle that you haven't before?
Elvira: One product I've been trying to get out to the world for years is the famous Elvira BRA! For some reason that idea has always been a bust… ha ha. That thing could put cleavage on a dog! It really is an indispensable little item that every gal (and some guys, too) should have in their closets.
10. What has been the most fulfilling part about your role as Elvira over the years?
Elvira: The fact that girls and women actually look up to the character as a role model. You have no idea how many women I have spoken to over the years that have told me Elvira represented a strong, sexy, powerful woman to them growing up and that she has had a positive influence on them. Strange but true.
Well, Cassandra, I'm one of those very women. You've been an inspiration not to just me but to all the Dread Central female writers and readers, and we look forward to many more years of your quirky and quick-witted personality!
Our thanks to Elvira and her team for coordinating this interview. Photos credits: Mathu Anderson, Victoria Pearson, and Austin Young.
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Push 'em up in the comments section below!