Missing Kids Found in The Tall Man Motion Poster

Having just watched Pascal Laugier's (Martyrs) latest film, The Tall Man, I find myself wondering why we're even covering this as it's barely a horror movie. Still, you can decide for yourselves. Look for more soon including a review.

The Tall Man is available on VOD right now.

Synopsis
In an isolated, slowly dying mining town, children are vanishing without a trace – abducted, the townsfolk whisper, by a mysterious entity known locally as “The Tall Man.” Town nurse Julia Denning (Jessica Biel) seems skeptical…until her young son, David, disappears in the middle of night. Frantic to rescue the boy, Julia lives every parent’s darkest nightmare in this twisting, shock-around-each-corner thriller.

Second The Tall Man Clip Dines Out

Find tall men in the comments section below!

Source: Fandango

Rottenjesus's picture

Every time I see a story about this movie it makes me sad that it isn't about a new PHANTASM film.

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Sun, 08/12/2012 - 6:08pm.

I likeded the horror movies where people eat brains.

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 08/12/2012 - 5:20pm.
James Coker's picture

both your guys's arguements were wonderful. now I dont know whether I should see this or not LOL

Submitted by James Coker on Sun, 08/12/2012 - 3:20am.
Jinx's picture

Whoa, whoa, whoa there!

This is the first time I've seen artwork for the film.

Why the hell didn't anyone tell me Hobo Myers was getting work outside of Rob Zombie flicks?!

Submitted by Jinx on Sun, 08/12/2012 - 12:00am.
Vanvance1's picture

It wasn't the movie I wanted but it's certainly more horror than Teen Wolf, The Hunger Games, Twilight and all the other teenaged effeminate crap that pops up every third article.

Laugier tried to do something different and subvert expectations. True it mostly didn't work but in a time of horrible blockbusters (like the non-horror Battleship covered extensively here) and the utter garbage mentioned in the first paragraph, at least he made an effort to innovate.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sat, 08/11/2012 - 9:52pm.
moderator Seriously, dude? There's not

Seriously, dude? There's not a single supernatural thing about this muddled and disjointed affair. There's no suspense. Barely any violence and the reveal is as lame as they come. This is more of a Lifetime drama than anything else. At the very least the things you mentioned above have some monster action going for it, especially Teen Wolf.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Sat, 08/11/2012 - 9:58pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Since when are supernatural elements what defines horror? We both know tone is often more important. I just read another Jack Ketchum novel and they don't contain anything supernatural but they're certainly horror.

Twilight isn't horror because though they may use words like vampire or werewolf none of what's shown on screen are those things. Calling shit chocolate doesn't make it so.

Twilight is a teen/gay romance flick, it's sure as hell not horror. The Tall Man has horrific elements and moments.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sat, 08/11/2012 - 10:08pm.

Horror is subjective. This is barely even a thriller.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Sat, 08/11/2012 - 10:26pm.
Vanvance1's picture

If horror was completely subjective anything could be horror. What people find scary is very personal; there's your subjectivity. I know a woman who's deathly afraid of cats, even tiny kittens. That doesn't mean that when she watches a comedy movie featuring a cat it's a horror film.

The genre of horror can be clearly defined in objective terms. It's a large and ecompassing word that contains a variety of sub-genres and some things have one foot in the horror camp and one foot outside of it.

The Tall Man is certainly a horror film. It contains a wide variety of horror tropes which it then attempts to subvert. I didn't think it worked very well but I appreciated the seldom seen ambition of the film.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sat, 08/11/2012 - 11:18pm.
moderator Horror is completely

Horror is completely subjective and that's why we cover as wide of a variety of it as we do. You just don't like all it has to offer deeming some things as too girly for you. That being said just because you have dough cheese and sauce doesn't mean you can make a pizza and this flick is a complete failure.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Sun, 08/12/2012 - 4:54pm.
Vanvance1's picture

No horror is not completely subjective. If that was the case the genre wouldn't exist.

I understand you post certain articles to broaden the appeal of your site. I think it would be more honest to admit that said articles often have a very tenuous connection to the horror genre.

I'll give you an example. Martyrs (since we're on the Tall Man article) is absolutely brilliant horror. Yet Twilight has 'vampires'. Now you tell me, which film presents a stronger argument to be deemed horror?

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sun, 08/12/2012 - 6:36pm.
moderator You're comparing Twilight to

You're comparing Twilight to Martyrs? Seriously? They couldn't be more different. Completely opposite sides of the spectrum. The fact of the matter is both of them are 10 times the horror movie The Tall Man was. In the interest of not giving spoilers I shall not get into specifics, but suffice it to say that its main focal points are kidnapping and adoption. At least Twilight has vampires and werewolves as piss poor renditions as they are.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 08/13/2012 - 1:49am.
Vanvance1's picture

You're missing the point. Martys is horror, pure and simple. Twilight posseses more 'supernatural' elements than Martys but is a romantic comedy (though the comedy is unintentional).

Twilight is not a horror film. The 'vampires' aren't vampires. You could call them fairys and the only difference would be it'd be closer to the truth.

The Tall Man posseses many horror tropes and initially sets itself up as a traditional horror film. It's a failed experient, but it's still horror.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Mon, 08/13/2012 - 7:34pm.
moderator Just because something "sets
Debi Moore's picture

Just because something "sets itself up" as a horror film, it doesn't make it so. The Tall Man could maybe be called a thriller, but it's really the equivalent of a Lifetime movie with zero payoff, although I will say the performances are decent. I was pretty pissed off I wasted almost two hours (at least 15-20 minutes could have been cut out of it) only to see an ending I figured out less than a half hour into it but was hoping against hope wasn't really true. As for Twilight, it's more of a horror movie (to me) than The Tall Man. At least it has vampires and werewolves and a mythology to it. Yes, it's got romance, too, but it is geared to a totally different audience than Martyrs and the like. And your homophobic comments are getting old...and do nothing to bolster your arguments.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Mon, 08/13/2012 - 7:42pm.