Battleship Blu-ray/DVD Details and a New Bonus Clip
With its all-star cast and thrilling battle scenes and visual effects, we expect Battleship (review here) to do a bit better on home video than it did in theatres. Here's the full Blu-ray/DVD features rundown along with a new bonus clip featuring director Peter Berg.
From the Press Release:
An exhilarating campaign to save mankind unfolds on the high seas, in the skies, and on land when Battleship – the entertaining action-adventure made with unprecedented support of the US Navy – comes to Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD, and On Demand August 28th, 2012, from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. The Blu-ray Combo Pack contains a Digital Copy of the film, compatible with iPhone®, iTunes®, iPad®, iPod®, iPod® touch, Android™ and online retailer partners as well as UltraViolet™. The film will also be available through Digital Download.
Against all odds, a daring young Naval officer and his heroic crew launch an all-out military showdown against a superior alien force in this enthralling thrill ride that will have viewers holding their breath through the final gripping face-off. Blu-ray's high-definition picture and perfect hi-def 5.1 surround sound provide the ultimate showcase to experience the film's awe-inspiring special effects, non-stop action, and ingenious weaponry. Almost two hours of exclusive bonus features including all-new featurettes, behind-the-scenes footage, filmmaker commentary, and an exciting pre-visualization of an alternate ending make this a must-own disc for every movie fan.
Hasbro – makers of the Transformers and G.I. Joe franchises – joins with powerhouse filmmaker Peter Berg (Hancock, The Kingdom, Friday Night Lights) to create this thrilling film inspired by Hasbro’s popular Naval combat game, Battleship. The film stars Taylor Kitsch (X-Men Origins: Wolverine, John Carter), Liam Neeson (The Grey, Taken), Alexander Skarsgard (HBO’s “True Blood,” Melancholia), global music superstar Rihanna in her motion-picture debut, Brooklyn Decker (Just Go With It), and Tadanobu Asano (Thor, upcoming 47 Ronin), with a supporting cast that includes Hamish Linklater (Fantastic Four), Jesse Plemons (NBC’s “Friday Night Lights”), and in his professional acting debut, U.S. Army Colonel Gregory D. Gadson, a battalion leader who lost both legs in Iraq in 2007.
Bonus Features Exclusive to the Blu-ray
· Alternate Ending Pre-visualization with commentary by Peter Berg
· The Visual Effects of Battleship – From ground-breaking water-simulation programs to cutting-edge motion capture, see how the team at Industrial Light & Magic pushes the boundaries of visual effects to bring the aliens to life.
· All Access with Director Peter Berg – Join director Peter Berg as he gives fans an in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the making of the movie.
· USS Missouri VIP Tour – Come aboard the historic “Mighty Mo” for an exclusive tour with director Peter Berg and actual Navy veterans as they reveal some of the coolest facts and amazing action that has graced the decks of this legendary ship.
· Commander Pete – Watch as director Peter Berg energizes the cast and crew with his endless enthusiasm and relentless good humor.
· And with UNIVERSAL'S SECOND SCREEN, viewers can enjoy an innovative and interactive viewing experience, that allows them to control, interact and explore Battleship with groundbreaking features right on a networked tablet or computer, in synchronization with the movie on the television screen! While the movie plays, experience features such as:
o Alien Tech 3D Model Turntable Explosions: During the movie, 3D models of the aliens and the shredder become available to the user to view at various angles. For instance, as the user turns the Regent Alien, the armor flies off in parts and then re-assembles. (Exclusive to Second Screen.)
o All Access with Director Peter Berg: Viewers get an all access look at the making of the film featuring interviews with cast and crew.
o Flick View: Interact with the movie, move content from the Tablet to the TV screen, and compare storyboards, animatics, and other executing content by “Flicking” them from on their tablet to their TV screen, simply by gesturing their fingers upwards on their tablets.
· UltraViolet™: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and instantly stream and download to computers, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can now truly enjoy their movies anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice. Currently available in the United States only.
· Digital Copy: Viewers can redeem a digital version of the full-length movie from a choice of retail partners to watch on an array of electronics and portable devices including computers, iPad®, iPhone®, iPod™ touch, Android™ and more!
· pocket BLU™ App: The popular free pocket BLU™ app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad®, Android™ tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of thedevices’ larger screens and high resolution displays.
· Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
· Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
· Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
· Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
· Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.
· BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!
Bonus Features on Both the Blu-ray and DVD
· Preparing for Battle – Hear how Hollywood teamed up with the US Navy to transform a beloved board game into a big-screen blockbuster.
· All Hands on Deck: The Cast – Witness the actors getting into the military mindset and Navy veterans having their time in the spotlight in this salute to the people at the heart of the story.
· Engage in Battle
o Shooting at Sea – Experience the crew taking on the daunting challenge of shooting on the open ocean on their “soundstage at sea.”
o All Aboard the Fleet – Cast and crew members share their experiences shooting on the ships, particularly the historic USS Missouri.
Peter Berg directs and produces Battleship. Taylor Kitsch plays Lieutenant Alex Hopper, a Naval weapons officer assigned to destroyer USS John Paul and humanity’s last hope in the face of a global alien invasion. Alexander Skarsgard (“True Blood,” Melancholia) is Hopper’s older brother, Stone, Commanding Officer of the USS Sampson; global music superstar Rihanna makes her motion-picture debut as Petty Officer Second Class Cora Raikes, Hopper’s crewmate and a weapons specialist on USS John Paul Jones; Brooklyn Decker (Just Go With It) is Sam Shane, Hopper’s fiancée and a physical therapist specializing in the rehabilitation of military combat veterans; Tadanobu Asano (Thor), is Captain Yugi Nagata, commanding officer of the Japanese destroyer Myoko and Hopper’s archrival; and Academy Award® nominee Liam Neeson (The Grey, Taken) plays Hopper and Stone’s superior (and Sam’s father), Admiral Shane, Commander of the Pacific Fleet.
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Find our destroyer in the comments section below!