Co-Showrunner Robert Singer Provides a Few Supernatural Season 8 Spoilers
We just told you about the special San Diego Comic-Con editions of TV Guide featuring four Warner Bros. TV series, and already spoilers from the 8-page "Supernatural" section have leaked online. WARNING: If you're not caught up on the show, read on at your own peril!
The Winchester Family Business get hold of an advance copy of the edition with the Winchester brothers on the front and back "flip" covers and posted the following feature descriptions:
- "Blood Brothers" - an interview with Jared and Jensen by Ileane Rudolph (no spoilers)
- "The Many Faces of Evil" - a look at the "Supernatural villains by Ileane Rudolph
- "Blood/Alcohol Content" - a breakdown of shooting the swordfight scene with the Shojo in "Party on Garth" by John Hogan
- "The Devil Is in the Details" - a "Supernatural" trivia quiz by Alice Jester
- "Burning Questions" - a Season 8 preview interview with executive producer Robert Singer by Ileane Rudolph
Credit for these spoilers and exclusive rights goes to Ileane Rudolph and TV Guide. Anything in quotes is from Robert Singer.
- Will Season 8 hinge on Sam trying to save Dean from Purgartory? "No," Singer answers. An amount of time passes before Dean finds his way back from Purgatory (not specified how long). They're planning on doing various flashbacks through the season showing what happened and what Sam did in that time while Dean was away.
- Why use flashbacks? Because fans usually hate it when the brothers are separated, so that's why they're being reunited quickly.
- What about Castiel? They're still framing that out, but Cas will be back a number of times.
- Will Kevin the Prophet be back? "Kevin is an integral part of the year."
- What does Crowley want with Kevin? The King of Hell needs someone to read the word of God. "Every year we start with a theme -- this is our 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' year. This season-long story will be a quest. It's about Kevin and the tablets and the Word of God."
- They would like guest characters like Sheriff Mills, Charlie, and Garth back, but nothing is concrete yet. "And there's one new character that we're talking about. It's a monster that Dean meets in Purgatory."
- Who will be the big bad this season? It's another angels and demons year. "It's not apocalyptic but about who can gain control and keep demons in Hell or angels in Heaven."
- Former producer Jeremy Carver, who exec produced the U.S verison of "Being Human", is returning to "Supernatural" as your new co-showrunner. Will fans notice anything different? "No. Jeremy gave us a couple of years on the show, so I do think this season will be a little less earnest and a little more the kind of stuff we did in Seasons 2 and 3, before the weight of all the mythology got us."
Less earnest? That sounds like a good direction to go in to revitalize the show after the overall good but very uneven Season 7.
For more either hit the "Supernatural" panel at SDCC on July 15th in Hall H or check back here for our coverage next week.
11:15-12:15 "Supernatural" Screening and Q&A— Series stars Jared Padalecki (Friday the 13th ) and Jensen Ackles (My Bloody Valentine 3D), recurring guest stars Misha Collins (Ringer), Jim Beaver (Justified), and Mark A. Sheppard (Battlestar Galactica), executive producer Jeremy Carver (U.S. version of Being Human), and consulting producer Ben Edlund (The Tick) return to Hall H to answer questions from the audience about what's in store for the eighth season of this thrill-ride series. Fans will also see an exclusive video presentation featuring series highlights, as well as a portion of the special features from the upcoming "Supernatural": The Complete Seventh Season DVD and Blu-ray release, in stores September 18. The eighth season of "Supernatural" will premiere October 3rd on its new night, Wednesdays at 9/8c on The CW. The series is produced by Wonderland Sound and Vision in association with Warner Bros. Television. Hall H
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Lose the weight of your mythology in the comments section below!