The Verdict's In - Does the Total Recall Remake Keep the Original's R Rating?

The original Total Recall was a solid R-rated film. The remake? Not so much. The MPAA has spoken, and Len Wiseman's reboot merits only a PG-13 with "intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, some sexual content, brief nudity, and language".

So maybe we'll get a quick 3-boob flash and not much else?

Len Wiseman directs the film based upon the Philip K. Dick tale We Can Remember It For You Wholesale. Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Bryan Cranston and Jessica Biel star.

The Total Recall remake will be landing in theatres on August 3rd, 2012.

Synopsis
Welcome to Rekall, the company that can turn your dreams into real memories. For a factory worker named Douglas Quaid (Colin Farrell), even though he's got a beautiful wife (Kate Beckinsale) whom he loves, the mind-trip sounds like the perfect vacation from his frustrating life - real memories of life as a super-spy might be just what he needs. But when the procedure goes horribly wrong, Quaid becomes a hunted man. Finding himself on the run from the police – controlled by Chancellor Cohaagen (Bryan Cranston) – there is no one Quaid can trust, except possibly a rebel fighter (Jessica Biel) working for the head of the underground resistance (Bill Nighy). The line between fantasy and reality gets blurred and the fate of his world hangs in the balance as Quaid discovers his true identity, his true love, and his true fate.

Total Recall

Recall things in the comments section below!

Source: Box Office Mojo

LOL...Im not suprised. Doesnt matter, it couldnt have topped the original anyway or even come close.

Submitted by JB Demented on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 10:58pm.
Matt Serafini's picture

Considering the number of cues in that trailer that are stolen right out of Verhoeven's film - I have absolutely zero interest in seeing this.

I will, however, spend my $10 on the remastered Blu-ray of the original next month.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 3:07pm.

Big deal. As long as it's a good movie, I don't care. I never liked Verhoeven's version anyway.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 2:55am.

There are certain things (like disliking Total Recall) that one should never admit in public.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 3:58am.

Who cares? I've been admitting it everywhere. Verhoeven's movie wasn't even good. I mean Farrell is an infinitely better actor than Schwarzenegger. I'm stunned people actually are convinced Verhoeven's campy schlocky B movie is high art. I'm not saying this remake is going to be amazing, but I welcome a movie that's better than the first adaptation.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 5:59am.

I wouldn't make the claim that it's high art either. It is however a gory, clever, funny, bad-ass action science-fiction film. As for the B movie tone, you could make that same claim about Starship Troopers. That doesn't prevent it from being a good movie; especially when the tone is completely intentional on Verhoeven's part.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 2:15pm.

Whether Verhoeven intended it or not doesn't preclude the fact that I've never enjoyed the movie. I consider it awful and insanely overblown. I welcome this new version.

The revisionist history these days is just stunning. We have people bashing this remake and praising Verhoeven's flick, and bashing the upcoming "Dredd" while pretending Stallone's movie was quality action. It's mind-blowing.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 3:30pm.

You're surprised at the cynical reactions toward remakes?! Have you seen The Thing premake? There's a good fuckin' reason why people loathe remakes. This will be a shallow cash grab just like every other piece of shit remake as of late. Don't be a sucker for the studio suits.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 3:40pm.

Lol! A sucker for the studio suits. I'm one of the most vocal opponents against remakes, but when it's necessary it's a necessary evil.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 9:28pm.
Rottenjesus's picture

So you're against remakes but not against them if you hate the original movie? You truly are a piece of work.

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Fri, 07/06/2012 - 12:09am.

Why thank you! I consider myself a unique individual with all sorts of special gifts to contribute, but I digress. Sometimes a remake is a necessary evil and most times I'm strictly against them as a rule. If it ain't broke don't fix it, if it's horribly broken, here's a wrench and rebuild it with a better model.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 07/06/2012 - 2:47am.
Rottenjesus's picture

I wouldn't mind "fixing" you with a wrench but I digress.

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Fri, 07/06/2012 - 3:22am.

Are you flirting with me? Thanks, but no thanks. Let's get back to the conversation, horndog.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 07/06/2012 - 4:35am.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

While I do enjoy Verhoeven's film; I enjoy it as it should be, a well crafted, yet absurdist over the top action film.

I do agree with you, the R rating isn't a seal of quality; there's bucketfuls of poor R rated films (Captivity, TCM: The Beginning, Friday the 13th remake, NOES remake). As long as the film is good; the rating shouldn't hold that big a factor to it.

I think we should have expected a PG-13 however considering the size of the budget, 'Prometheus' was a exception.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 6:54am.
Gus Bjork's picture

I've never been a big fan of the original Total Recall either. Not that I disliked it but I thought it was lacking.

The remake doesn't seem like a movie that demands an R rating. I've been warming to it actually.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 10:31am.

The rating matters nothing to me too. I think if it manages to keep my attention more than the original ever did, it'll be a success. I'm not convincing myself it's going to be a masterpiece, it's Len Wiseman for crying out loud, but I am welcoming this new version as I just never liked the first one.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 3:31pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Len Wiseman has never made a good movie, why would he start now?

No talent in = no joy out.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 1:10am.
WLKNDED's picture

Soon to be R on dvd and blue ray...whatever.

Submitted by WLKNDED on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 12:59am.

Wow, what a shocker. Fuck this movie.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Wed, 07/04/2012 - 10:41pm.