A Walkthrough of Prometheus for the Confused and Inquisitive

If there's one thing that Ridley Scott's Prometheus (review) did right, it was to spark discussion. While the movie seemed pretty cut and dried to me, lots of folks have lots of questions. Maybe this walkthrough video can lend you cats a hand!

Peter Rallis of MovieBuzz just uploaded the video below, and it's a good bet that it'll help out more than a little bit in terms of catchin' Scott's spacey drift! Dig it!

Prometheus, starring Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Patrick Wilson, and Logan Marshall-Green, is in theatres now. The film has been rated R for sci-fi violence including some intense images and brief language.

Synopsis
Ridley Scott, director of 'Alien' and 'Blade Runner,' returns to the genre he helped define. With 'Prometheus' he creates a groundbreaking mythology in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

A Walkthrough of Prometheus for the Confused and Inquisitive

Beat off Xenomorphs in the comments section below!

Source: Movie Buzz on YouTube

Gus Bjork's picture

Yes, although clearly the big 'why' question remained unanswered and the whole sequel set-up. Although even then the theme was complete-that powerful men/creatures are not nearly as powerful as they think and by their inflated egos are continually vulnerable to their own creations.

I liken it to Blade Runner in both that sense and also to it being a very flawed and jumbled story that is overcome by the concept, mood and visuals.

Dammit, this was supposed to be a reply to Terminal.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Sat, 06/30/2012 - 6:32pm.
aliensharkboy's picture

LOL I agree with your comments! Prometheus was very satisfying in my view.

I've always wondered, why have you got Uwe Boll as your account picture?

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Sun, 07/01/2012 - 6:41am.
Gus Bjork's picture

It started as a joke since I look a lot like Boll. A lot a lot. We must share some common ancestors in Austria. I just never got around to changing it.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Sun, 07/01/2012 - 11:28am.
Gus Bjork's picture

It's fun to play parlor games with the story but pointless. When done the movie has nothing in it that needs explaining. It may have unanswered questions but the story complete.

I enjoyed it but with the same complaints as most. I get irritated with stories that revolve around "let's go in-gotta get out-oops gotta go back in-shit gotta get out" of the same damn place (looking at you Nightbreed). But the good in Prometheus far outweighs the bad.

Has anyone noticed the connection with the skin tight, slick spacesuits in Prometheus to those in Planet of the Vampires or is that just me?

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Sat, 06/30/2012 - 2:48pm.

The story is complete? You think? I thought Prometheus was a failure in every sense.

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 06/30/2012 - 4:36pm.
aliensharkboy's picture

I'm surprised to say it's my favourite film of the year so far...
And I agree with the first comment Terminal posted, I've been saying the same to alot of people recently.

But hey, I also loved "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance", so maybe I'm seeing too much good in a bad films this year.

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Fri, 06/29/2012 - 5:43pm.
Jinx's picture

I enjoyed both Prometheus and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

We'll have T-shirts made up.

Submitted by Jinx on Fri, 06/29/2012 - 6:10pm.
aliensharkboy's picture

I'll get us some hats that say... "Prometheus: Spirit of Vengeance"!

Submitted by aliensharkboy on Sat, 06/30/2012 - 5:15am.
Vanvance1's picture

I'm surprised that I actually enjoyed this movie in the first place. It's not brilliant but it's certainly good and far better than expected from Scott who hadn't made an entertaining film in 30 years. In a way it's a huge triumph that anything Lindelhoff touched could be so entertaining; I was pleased to be wrong.

I'm fine with the unanswered questions; I don't feel the film is too ambiguous.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 06/27/2012 - 2:01pm.
kiddcapone's picture

After listening to that "walkthrough" I couldn't help but think "get the fuck outta here" a few times...That's a whole lot of jumps to conclusions to explain away bullshit story writing.

I came away from it with other ideas, and while I’m probably wrong, I much prefer my thoughts. I assumed the Engineers created humans ONLY because they were needed as hosts to give birth to the Alien species. They were not trying to wipe out humans, just finish their plan. That’s why the Xenomorph was on the wall, sort of like a shrine. The Engineer at the beginning was not on Earth, but on the same planet. He felt sympathy for the human race and infected himself causing the outbreak on the planet that attacked the other engineers preventing the plan.

Am I wrong? Probably, but I’ll take that over Engineer Jesus or Engineers got jealous of worshipping Jesus so they wanted to end Earth any day of the week. That's just retarded and lame.

Submitted by kiddcapone on Wed, 06/27/2012 - 12:42pm.

I started tuning out the video when he tried to explain the connection to Jesus. My problems with the movie were mostly character based. I don't care about plot points and gaps in logic as long as there are a few characters to care about. The more you think about this movie the worse it gets, so the video is worthless except as a hilarious bit from a Ridley apologist.

Biggest cinematic disappointment of the year? Oh yeah. This was supposed to be Ridley Scott's triumphant return to sci-fi and instead I got to watch the worst scientists ever bumble about like they were in a slasher movie.

The fact that they turned the unknown Lovecraftian horror of the Space Jockey into a guy that was headed back to Earth to pay us back for Space Jesus didn't help.

Submitted by David on Wed, 06/27/2012 - 12:18pm.

I think American cinema has just been dumbed down for so long that many people can't understand or enjoy a movie unless they have every little plot element explained in detail by one of the characters. I personally prefer a movie that isn't filled with expository dialogue. The only part of Prometheus I didn't understand was the Jesus connection, but the rest of it was pretty straight-forward: the engineers have mutating DNA, created humanity, and then tried to destroy it but couldn't because their weapon got loose and killed them first.

As far as the captain "knowing" that the planet was a military base, I don't believe the implication was that he actually knew that. He was looking at the planet, saw the biological weapon, and made a pronouncement based on his own guess.

I think it's sad that a reasonably intelligent movie gets dubbed a flop because people would rather just be told everything than have to think about it.

Submitted by addeisdead on Wed, 06/27/2012 - 11:54am.

It's really pathetic that many websites I visit have had to do the work for "Prometheus" and explain a lot of the plot holes and utter lapses in logic to help this film bind together as a cohesive story. And it's really sad people can't let certain things remain ambiguous and have to have everything explained to them. "Prometheus" has been the biggest cinematic disappointment of the year so far.

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 06/27/2012 - 10:27am.