By Jobe! A Lawnmower Man Series on its Way?

By Jobe! A Lawnmower Man Series on its Way?Let me make no bones about it. I hated the movie The Lawnmower Man. I hated its sequel, too. It's just another case of a Stephen King adaptation gone awry. That being said, could a television series based on the tale actually work? Interesting question.

According to MovieHole, Park Entertainment is packaging 26 one-hour episodes of a show that, like the two Lawnmower Man features that preceded it, will combine live-action and some rather state-of-the-art special and visual effects. While the original King short story concerned a man who conjures up an unholy, autonomous lawnmower to cut a client's lawn, before munching down on the grass himself, the film version told of a mentally-retarded lawnmower man named Jobe who is coaxed into being a guinea pig for a scientist’s virtual reality experiments, ultimately becoming more intelligent in the process but also evil.

Seriously. My head hurts.

Munch grass in the comments section below!

Source: MovieHole

MagusMaleficus's picture

Unholy? I dunno Creepy... A lawnmower powered by the god Pan sounds like the very definition of "holy" to me... :P

Submitted by MagusMaleficus on Sat, 05/19/2012 - 8:12pm.

I like The Lawnmower Man. True its not the best movie based on a Stephen King story, but I found it interesting. As for the sequal, I couldnt stay awake because it sucked so much. A Lawnmower Man series? I dont think thatd last long. It probably wouldnt make it past episode 1. I will admit though its nice to see alot of horror films lately being turned into TV series. Now if only We can get a real Friday The 13th series.

Submitted by JB Demented on Sat, 05/19/2012 - 4:39pm.

This movie was so crappy so I avoided the sequel at all costs. Is there really a need for a series? Seriously?

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 05/19/2012 - 2:31am.
Matt Serafini's picture

You ever see the 140 minute director's cut of the original?

Completely different film.

I never got to see this theatrically, so my first experience with The Lawnmower Man was the extended VHS tape. When the flick came out on DVD, it was the 108 minute theatrical cut and I was appalled at what a pointless, empty effort it was.

The director's cut, though, really makes it into a really strong good (not great) effort.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Fri, 05/18/2012 - 5:20pm.
LifeMi's picture

I hated Lawnmower Man when I saw it on VHS years and years ago; I have some memories of it. What's the difference between the two cuts?

Submitted by LifeMi on Sat, 05/19/2012 - 12:10am.

After sitting through this in a theatre I've avoided it completely. Didn't even know there was a longer cut.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Fri, 05/18/2012 - 7:44pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I was mildly entertained by the theatrical cut years back. Where can one find the director's cut? If I had a copy I'd be up for seeing this again.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sat, 05/19/2012 - 2:18am.
Matt Serafini's picture

The director's cut was only released on VHS and Laserdisc.

If you dig around, a lot of DVD-R sites have it. There's a nice 16x9 copy floating around out there. Quality is Laserdisc-ish, but still a respectable way to view the film.

As for differences, it's just fully fleshed out. It's less about the (dated) visual FX, and much more of a 90s Frankenstein story. Both Brosnan and Fahey get to showcase some good work as actors, and you actually get a sense of Jobe's transformation over the course of the film.

Like I said, it's hardly a masterpiece, but that longer cut makes it a solid film.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Sat, 05/19/2012 - 10:01am.