B-Sides: I'm So Happy for Bad Channels

I’ve always had two theories about Bad Channels: Either Charles Band hoped it would become Full Moon's very own Rocky Horror, or he did a ton of blow and believed a sci-fi comedy horror musical about an alien with a head like space cauliflower hijacking a radio station as an excuse to have some sexy gals dance to schlocky music was genius.

Sometimes you find yourself watching a movie trying to figure out what on earth the filmmakers were striving for. An alien takes over a radio station and uses the musical airwaves to hypnotically shrink beautiful women that it collects in bottles. I'm back to leaning toward the blow theory.

The apex of Bad Channels was without a doubt the alien music video hallucination "Manic Depresso" performed by Sycotic Sinfoney, a band that can only best be summarized as being as if someone dumped Mr. Bungle, Slipknot, Primus, and GWAR into a musical blender. Taking over a mostly forgotten 1992 Full Moon movie for a few minutes appears to have been the highlight of Sycotic Sinfoney's short-lived musical career. Alas, they didn't even achieve the musical heights of Green Jelly.

The context of what you're about to watch is pretty irrelevant even in terms of the movie itself. A clown sings in a funny voice. A guitarist dressed as a nun surfs atop a gurney. A nurse begins to strip. Musical chaos ensues.

Here's Sycotic Sinfoney performing "Manic Depresso" in Bad Channels, the only part of that movie that didn't make me want to change the channel.

B-Sides: The Wrath of Shocker

Rock out in the comments section below.

kiddcapone's picture

Really? Realllly? really? REALLY? RREALLLLLYYYY?

Submitted by kiddcapone on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 9:47am.
James Coker's picture

FOY!!! when are we going to get the "B-Sides" of "Move your Dead Bones" from the Beyond Re-Animator DVD???

Submitted by James Coker on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 1:38am.
Cinemascribe's picture

Seconded (Actually, I'm not 100% certain, but I may have mentioned this tune back when this column launched). Both the song and accompanying video for Move Your Dead Bones are pure gold. Not sure how they managed to connect Herbert West with a techno dance club track but there it is.

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 2:24am.
Foywonder's picture

Just so you know, I've already got 18 weeks worth of B-Sides written and one of those is "Move Your Dead Bones". Expect to see it in October as we countdown to Halloween. I would give it the Halloween weekend slot just because it seems to be the most requested B-Sides ever but I have another that is just too appropriate for that weekend. I think you guys are going to really enjoy the next month of B-Sides.

Submitted by Foywonder on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 5:58am.
Cinemascribe's picture

That just brightened up my day considerably. No kidding- I'm a big fan of this site (damned pop up ads notwithstanding)and the writing featured here is uniformly excellent. However, in the year or so I've been a regular here at DC (I lurked for a while before signing up) , B-Sides marks the first instance of my actively seeking out a specific column here every week. I get around to all of them eventually, but this one I actually come looking for. You got me when you posted the entry centered on the old schlock-fest War of the Gargantuans. Holy crap was that funny. I've been reading every one since.

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 7:04am.
admin moderator Schlocky music? You shut your
Jon Condit's picture

Schlocky music? You shut your mouth when you talk about Sykotic Sinfoney :D

Those guys were way ahead of their time and still have some great tracks. Maggots with Guns, Manic Depresso ofcourse, Sex Cells.

Eargasm is still one of my all time favorite albums to play.

Sean Clark actually got me into them like 8 years ago having been friends with the band back in the day he had some cool shit to share.

Also the lead singer went on to work on another project called Whiskey Chimp which I believe is still together but nothing like they Sykotic Sinfoney sadly.

My friend Lawton actually runs their site which is still up and running and you can even still buy Eargasm online http://www.sykotiksinfoney.com/shop

Submitted by Jon Condit on Sat, 09/24/2011 - 5:14am.
Foywonder's picture

Consider this my musical education when it comes to Sykotic Sinfoney because I had never heard of them before or after Bad Channels. I stand corrected.

Submitted by Foywonder on Sat, 09/24/2011 - 6:42am.
admin moderator You have me beat then because
Jon Condit's picture

You have me beat then because while I've seen the segment in question I have never seen the film. I only discovered them by accident thanks to Sean.

It sounds like you dig the song so I highly recommend their other songs too.

As kind of a precursor to bands like Mr. Bungle they had a really interesting thing going on.

In the short time they were around they played more shows than most bands do. And I have been pestering Sean and Lawton to get them to do a reunion show forever.

Submitted by Jon Condit on Sat, 09/24/2011 - 5:19pm.
Sirand's picture

Yup, I have their unreleased album (the band broke up right before it was supposed to come out). They've got some crazy shit and their live shows are the stuff of Cali underground legend.

Too bad they didn't go on to bigger and better things.

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 10:33am.