Last week we told you that the rights to Friday the 13th were back at Paramount. Old school Jason fans rejoiced and there was much celebration in the land (in my house, at least). Today the plot thickens, somewhat unsurprisingly.
My friend over at Bloody Disgusting, Evan Dickson, got a scoop yesterday straight from recent Jason actor Derek Mears’ mouth regarding Platinum Dunes’ involvement in the upcoming Friday the 13th sequel:
“I spoke to Brad Fuller, and he said that the rights are, as everyone knows, over at Paramount and they’re pushing hard. They’re going, ‘We want [a new Friday the 13th movie] as fast as possible.’” Mears would also return to the hockey mask, if asked. “…I know they [Platinum Dunes] like me… look, even if I’m not a part of the series, as a fan, I just want to see more.” Fans were greatly divided over the last film in the franchise, but if they agreed on anything, it was that Derek Mears was an excellent Jason.
Does this mean that Platinum Dunes is involved in the next one? It sounds like it could be shaping up that way, and it wouldn’t be surprising, considering they produced the 2009 remake.
Platinum Dunes is the production company created by Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form. They have produced several genre remakes throughout the last decade including The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hitcher, A Nightmare on Elm Street and, of course, Friday the 13th.
Having Jason back at Paramount has got to feel right to more fans than just myself. It’s no secret that the studio famously discarded the franchise at the end of the 1980s – after milking it for all it was worth. But there’s something about this current alignment that gives me hope. I didn’t like the last Friday the 13th much, but if they can just tweak those elements ever so slightly (likable characters, inventive kills, no captives), then I think we’ll be on to something.
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Stalk and slash in the comments section below.