Saw 3D Rules the Halloween Box Office Weekend

Horror fans flocked to theatres this Halloween weekend, and the result was big box office for two R-rated horror movies. We here at Dread Central would like to take this time to say to all of the people out there who think that in order for a horror movie to be successful at theatres, it has to be PG-13 - please, guys, stick that in your ass.

The two October terror titans, Saw and Paranormal Activity, once again went head up against one another, and even though Paranormal Activity 2 had a much bigger opening weekend, it was Saw 3D that owned Halloween weekend with an estimated take of $24.2 million. Saw 3D played at 2,100 3D locations with a total of 2,808 engagements counting the non 3D venues. 3D showings contributing to 92% of its weekend gross.

Meanwhile Paranormal Activity 2 slipped to second place with a haul of $16.5 million, bringing it to $65.7 million to date. Congrats to both films for really kicking ass! We couldn't be happier!

Play evil games in the comments section below!

I always love
James Coker's picture

I always love debating,arguing and sharing love for the horror genre with almost all of you guys even Terminal, and for my money this is the best and wittiest and downright hilarious source of Horror news on the web...But I fucking hate it when some of us start ranting about how this site could be "selling Out"....come on floyd

Submitted by James Coker on Tue, 11/02/2010 - 1:43am.
DavidFullam's picture

There is only one thing wrong with DC. That is of course Kasch and his love for "breaking the 4th wall."

Submitted by DavidFullam on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 7:14pm.
moderator That fucking bastard!

That fucking bastard! *shakes fist*

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 7:22pm.
DavidFullam's picture

Seriously. I hope everyone will join my Big Don't Imitate Crazy Kasch Organization, otherwise known as "Big DICK Organization." Our motto is "I'm a Dick."

Submitted by DavidFullam on Tue, 11/02/2010 - 10:42am.
Floydian Trip's picture

Actually, I'm not stupid nor am I oblivious. I've seen a lot of questionable things come across this website and when I challenged them got no response. I think you're all good people but as far as the journalism goes I don't see much evidence of integrity. But hey, everyone needs to make a buck and in order to do that you've got to appeal to the majority and become friends with everyone.

As far as Fangoria goes sure it's doing better than it has in 20 years because there's a new EIC because the last EIC sold out to the mainstream and finally got shitcanned. Why not ask Tony Timpone how things are going with Fango.

I'm sorry but I don't applaud R rated horror movies. I applaud good ones no matter what rating they have.

I don't have a bone to pick with anybody here so my opinion is not out of spite. I just can't stand sellouts no matter what medium. Its been a long time since I've listened to Aerosmith too and I will never buy a Nintendo console again.

Sorry, I expected more.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 5:56pm.
The Buz's picture

You just..don't get it do you? No...no you don't.

And no bone to pick with us? Please. You've been crying a river ever since you begged us to ban DSIC and we didn't.

Your ill informed rants are staggering.

Submitted by The Buz on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 9:47pm.
moderator And again, you've missed the

And again, you've missed the point of this article on a HUGE level. We're NOT applauding these movies just because they're R rated. Hell, we're NOT even applauding the movies themselves. We're applauding the fact that finally some R rated horror did well at the box office.

Furthermore we cover just as much indie stuff, books, artwork, older films, etc as we do the studio films. In fact, we're not doing a damned thing differently than when we first started. As for selling out? To whom did we sell out to? Here's a news flash you may not be aware of ... NOBODY OWNS US. Dread Central is one of the ONLY major horror sites that's independently owned. We have no parent company that gives us shelter. We're here working around the clock every day of the year holidays included to make sure you're up to date on everything horror at NO COST to you. Why? Because we love this shit. I never thought I'd see the day when I mention to all the R rated horror naysayers to "stick that in your ass" I'd get called a sellout with no integrity. Unfuckingreal.

So, please if you know of someone who's interested in buying so that we can be funded, and our lives can be made easier ... point them this way! ;)

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 7:09pm.
Vanvance1's picture

If in real life you're young beautiful and busty I can find a few buyers for you.

Oops, saw you in Island of the Dead, I don't think an oil sheik is gonna be paying top dollar.

On a more serious note: DC's support for R and unrated horror is hugely admirable. If more of us got behind this move we could someday see something like Inside on a North American theater screen.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 9:32pm.

Don't worry Creepy, at least you have me.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 8:49pm.
moderator *embraces Terminal*

*embraces Terminal*

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 9:08pm.

*sniffs* So this is what it sounds like when doves cry.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 10:35pm.
LifeMi's picture

Sad to see some people have nothing better to do but rant and rave incoherently.

Submitted by LifeMi on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 6:59pm.
Foywonder's picture

You're a bunch of sellouts with no integrity but I don't have a bone to pick with anyone and my opinion is not out of spite and I continue to frequent this site on a regular basis even though I believe you're all a bunch of sellouts with no journalistic integrity out to make a quick buck.

And yet you wonder why your opinion generally gets ignored.

Submitted by Foywonder on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 6:31pm.
The Buz's picture

Ignorance is usually ignored.

Submitted by The Buz on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 9:49pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Wow, you're happy that "horror fans" flocked to the theater to see these two piece of shit movies?

I'd really like to believe that Dread Central hasn't sold out and gone completely mainstream but the evidence that suggests otherwise is overwhelming. Guess it was just a slow news day for Twilight.

Let Me In is one of the best horror films of the year. How'd that one do? Did the "horror fans" flock to see it too?

Dread Central has changed drastically from several years ago. This is a horror website devoted to people who don't like horror movies. Reminds me of Fangoria and look how that turned out.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 8:24am.
Foywonder's picture

"This is a horror website devoted to people who don't like horror movies."

Congratulations on winning this week's no-prize for the stupidest comment of the week. And it's only Monday, too!

Submitted by Foywonder on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 4:12pm.
moderator Sold out how? By being happy

Sold out how? By being happy that R-rated horror kicked ass at the box office? Let Me In was good. Very good. Best of the year? That's a matter of opinion. Did we praise that one too? You bet we did. So I guess we only "sell out" when we like movies that you didn't! ;)

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 2:59pm.
Sirand's picture

Hey look! More paranoid fanboy BS!

News flash: Successes like these are what keep the horror industry ticking. YOU might not have liked them, but so what? Anytime an R-rated, non-remake is successful, it changes the landscape and allows other projects to get greenlit. This is how the business works.

If these films bombed, you know what you'd be seeing next year? Absolutely nothing. And if Let Me In had succeeded, you know what you'd be getting? More fucking remakes.

"Reminds me of Fangoria and look how that turned out."

Fangoria is currently better than it's been in 20 years. So I'd say it turned out pretty damn well.

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 2:45pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Nah, they're much better than Fangoria.

Granted I don't have an interest in PA 2 or Saw 7, but like the article I applaud the success of R rated horror. It might means the NEXT film is something I do want to see and won't be watered down to a PG.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 2:30pm.
moderator Thank you and Amen!

Thank you and Amen!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 3:00pm.
GJW's picture

That's what I took from the article. It's not the movies themselves that is reason to applaud. It's the fact that TWO (regardless of what they were) R rated horror movies kicked ass at the box office two weeks in a row,and that IS something to get excited for. If I see a horror movie at the theatres,and I don't like it,but it still does well,I'm happy to see that at least. Good for the genre as a whole,even if I personally didn't enjoy it.

----------------------------------
I have to return some video tapes.

Submitted by GJW on Mon, 11/01/2010 - 4:19pm.