Dinner for Fiends: One Ugly Motherf#cker ... of a Show

Dinner for Fiends!Prepare for the most suspenseful Dinner For Fiends of all time. In addition to a quite rambunctious discussion over several of this summer's high profile genre offerings, on this high energy installment one of our very own chimes in pulled over on the side of the road by order of police due to imminent threat of a tornado warning. But if one staff member is under threat of tornadic doom, then why is it another keeps mysteriously vanishing from the show?

On this edition of Dinner For Fiends it would seem that nobody agreed on anything other than we all loved Inception and believe me to be a fool for having paid good money to watch the new Twilight movie. But if I hadn't, I wouldn't be able to bring you a very special in-depth report covering the goings-on of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse. And if vampire-werewolf emo love triangles aren't your thing, then perhaps red hot mutant sex is. We'll spend a few minutes discussing Splice before moving on to a lengthy, spoiler-filled debate over the merits of Predators.

There's more, including viewer mail from Mexico that causes us to pause to contemplate why is it Mexican horror fans have it in for Buz, and again, the looming possibility that a tornado will whisk one of our own away to the land of Oz.

Follow the yellow brick road or just click on a link below to listen to one ugly motherfuckin' Dinner for Fiends.

When you're done, take a second and VOTE FOR US ON PODCAST ALLEY! And if you listen to us on iTunes, be sure to rate us there, too. We love you long time.

• Click here to download or just listen to the latest DFF as an MP3!
  • Click here to listen to Dinner for Fiends on your computer!
  • Click here to subscribe to the Dinner for Fiends podcast!
  • (non-iTunes)
  • Click here to subscribe to the Dinner for Fiends podcast! (iTunes)
  • Dinner for Fiends: One Ugly Motherf#cker ... of a Show

- The Foywonder

Discuss better movies in the Dread Central forums

PrairieGhost's picture

This episode is fucking classic!

Submitted by PrairieGhost on Wed, 08/04/2010 - 3:56pm.
    NeoKefka's picture

I gotta side with Foy here. As bad as AvP was, AvP-R was waaaaay worse.

Even looking past the fact that the studio chopped it up and then made it look like it was taking place during a biblical plague of darkness, you've got a movie that has absolutely no ideas of its own. Not only is it lifting lines, visual cues and scenes whole hog from the Aliens and Predator movies but also The Blob and Return of the Living Dead. Hell, they even copied some of James Horner's music from Wrath of Khan for crying out loud. Then you are stuck with a bunch of ultra-shitty characters that have no damn business appearing in a movie titled "Alien vs. Predator" (A pizza delivery boy? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?) and the movie constantly interupts the monster action to shove them down your throat. (I wanted to put my foot through the screen when the sewer fight was interupted with Pizza Boy trying to awkwardly ask Blondie out on a date.) And on top of that, it took two of the most badass monsters in cinema and reduced them to another generic slasher threat chasing teenagers around. Throw in terrible, non-sensical dialogue, violence that tries too hard to be shocking, edits that made the movie completely incoherent (characters disappear and reappear without explaination and the monsters seem to teleport like Jason) and frankly, the bad picture quality is just adding insult to injury. Honestly, AvP-R was such a piss-poor excuse for a film I had to watch it a second time because I couldn't believe what I saw the first time.

And y'know, you bring up the girlfriend getting killed and what an awesome moment that was, but frankly, what follows invalidates it to me. Because after she gets pinned to the wall, Pizza Boy grabs a machine gun and starts spraying lead everywhere while screaming "Motherfucker!" and manages to drive the Predator off.

If there's any justice in the world, I hope to god that Bill Duke shows up on that little douchebag's doorstep and beats the shit out of him. AvP was terrible movie but AvP-R was Fox trying to wring more money out of a couple once respectable franchises.

Submitted by NeoKefka on Wed, 08/04/2010 - 1:26pm.
    Genrewriter's picture

Great podcast as always, guys.

Submitted by Genrewriter on Wed, 08/04/2010 - 10:30am.
    Jerel Of The Dead's picture

Am I the only person on the planet who didn't have a problem with AvP?

Submitted by Jerel Of The Dead on Tue, 08/03/2010 - 5:11pm.
    Foywonder's picture

You are a lonely breed.

Submitted by Foywonder on Tue, 08/03/2010 - 5:23pm.
    Jerel Of The Dead's picture

I think it's just me and James Cameron.

Submitted by Jerel Of The Dead on Tue, 08/03/2010 - 5:36pm.
    The Buz's picture

You know why Cameron is okay with AVP? Cause Fox made it. You know who Cameron gets work from? Fox.

Don't shit in the hand that feeds you.

Submitted by The Buz on Wed, 08/04/2010 - 12:29am.
    theGoldenSimatar's picture

Na, I didn't have much of a problem with the first AVP; yes it was a slight disappoint in not having enough Alien battle Predator, however I felt the story was interesting and I really liked the production design and some of the action sequences were very well done. I think it's unfairly knocked upon. The PG13, at the time I was a bit psyched as I was 16 at the time....but really didn't notice the difference. Blood and gore is nice, but there's enough evidence that R rating isn't a mark of quality.

AVPR however, cool arse Predalien (if there's ever a third, hope the design stays the same) and had the battles but the story stunk. If they combined the cool story and production design of the first film with the action of the second...would have a cool film. I still don't understand what people mean by 'can't see the film'. Watching it in the theater and at home on my standard def TV....have had no issue with telling whats going on.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Tue, 08/03/2010 - 11:48pm.
    moderator "I still don't understand

"I still don't understand what people mean by 'can't see the film'. Watching it in the theater and at home on my standard def TV....have had no issue with telling whats going on."

Then you my friend must have super powers. See the screenshots in my review for an explanation.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Wed, 08/04/2010 - 1:51am.
    Matt Serafini's picture

Those screenshots literally made me laugh out loud.

I'm going to pop in the Blu-ray tonight for shits and giggles.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Wed, 08/04/2010 - 1:33pm.
    Genrewriter's picture

I'm with you, Creepy. When a scene shot in broad daylight looks to be taking place at sundown...At a school during "business" hours! Good lord, you could give me the most complete explanation in the world as to why Fox decided to darken everything in post (which I never knew until listening to the podcast the other day) and it still would make no sense.

Submitted by Genrewriter on Wed, 08/04/2010 - 10:28am.
    theGoldenSimatar's picture

I haz no superpowers....just glasses :)

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Wed, 08/04/2010 - 5:25am.
    Jerel Of The Dead's picture

I would say I pride myself for never seeing AvPR, but I guess no one else saw it either.

Submitted by Jerel Of The Dead on Wed, 08/04/2010 - 3:11am.

I've always thought these Mor-vamps (Mormon vampires) make Anne Rice's vamps look straight in comparison. And that isn't an easy feat.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Tue, 08/03/2010 - 4:39pm.

I love you guys and I love this show but please please please stop Foy from hijacking conversations and talking over people. Buz’s frustrated sigh at 53:21 as he is trying to make a point and Foy jumps in and begins to talk over him, says it all.

Submitted by EAP77 on Tue, 08/03/2010 - 4:08pm.
    Foywonder's picture

I didn't realize I was constantly talking over people. A lot of the time I start to say something and hold back because I can't get a word in edge-wise. Used to be Creepy cutting everyone off. Just one of the unfortunate problems of having five people on a conference call trying to record a podcast, I suppose.

Submitted by Foywonder on Tue, 08/03/2010 - 5:22pm.

No worries man! You still do a great job and you were killing it today with your twilight review!

Submitted by EAP77 on Tue, 08/03/2010 - 5:42pm.
    Foywonder's picture

I'm still trying to figure out who's phone it is that begins blasting static when they start laughing really hard. Unless they laugh is a loud burst of static, in which case I have even more questions.

Submitted by Foywonder on Tue, 08/03/2010 - 6:05pm.
    The Buz's picture

lol, I never get frustrated with Foy, only frustrated that so much time is spent on Twilight. And for that, I owe Foy a shot in the nuts. Double. :-P

And blame Kasch for the static. It's always a good bet to blame Kasch.

Submitted by The Buz on Wed, 08/04/2010 - 12:26am.
    theGoldenSimatar's picture

Really loved it, especially Foy's breakdown of the Twilight series.

"Bella Swan has already decided that Edward Cullen is the only reason she lives and breathes, her only reason for existing, the person she wants to spend eternity with, so much so she's even willing to give up her mortal life and become a bloodsucking vampire, but she doesn't want to give up Jacob Black to do so, and that gives her carte blanche to string them both along like the dickless meat puppets they are"

Best thing since his breakdown of 'The Hitcher' remake.

Still, with the Human/Predator alliance; I think folks forget in the original Dark Horse comic had a Human/Predator teamup too.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Mon, 08/02/2010 - 8:46pm.
    moderator Agreed. Some of Foy's

Agreed. Some of Foy's funniest stuff in ages.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Tue, 08/03/2010 - 1:01am.
    Styling Shatner's picture

Awesome, I'm glad to see that there's a new DFF to listen to, which I know I'll end up enjoying. The image to go with this episode cracks me up and I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks of Predators, as I only saw it a few days ago and I'm in the camp which says that it's not any good.

Submitted by Styling Shatner on Mon, 08/02/2010 - 4:34pm.
    moderator Actually this was probably

Actually this was probably my favorite of the recent shows so I hope you dig!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 08/02/2010 - 5:24pm.