Mockingbird Lane Update; Bryan Fuller Still Hopeful Series Can Be Salvaged - Dread Central
Connect with us

Mockingbird Lane Update; Bryan Fuller Still Hopeful Series Can Be Salvaged

Published

on

Source Name:

TV Guide

Source Url:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mockingbird-Lane-Bryan-Fuller-NBC-1054601.aspx?rss=breakingnews

Post Thumb:

/oct12/mbl.jpg

So it looks like we shouldn’t completely count out “Mockingbird Lane” just yet. TV Guide has posted a lengthy article with the reboot’s writer, Bryan Fuller, and he remains bullish on the show… and thinks Halloween is a perfect time to get viewers on board. Read on for a few excerpts.

As reported previously, the network has decided to air the show’s pricey $10 million pilot on Friday, October 26th, at 8:00 pm before “Grimm.” But Fuller’s not overly concerned. “Such a different show merits a different way of getting it out to the audience… At its core it’s a story about a family trying to carve a path in the world for a son who has challenges. It’s intimately relatable, but we get to tell that story with monsters,” he said. “It’s gorgeous, every frame is sumptuous. You get to have these really interesting actors coming in and taking their spins on these classic characters. I love the original ‘Munsters’ and didn’t want to step on it in any way of putting people in Frankenstein makeup and Dracula makeup. So we went our own direction.”

Deals with the actors don’t expire until July of next year, and if enough viewers tune in on the 26th, the possibility of “Mockingbird” turning into a fall 2013 series still exists. Fuller has big plans for the show, including a new take on the Munsters’ pet Spot, a revved up Drag-u-la racer, and even a cameo by Butch Patrick, the original Eddie Munster. For more info, keep reading, and then be sure to hit the link at the bottom of the page for the full interview.

TV Guide Magazine: What do you hope will come out of NBC’s “Mockingbird Lane” screening?

Bryan Fuller: Airing a pilot as a standalone seems unheard of, but when you actually see the “Mockingbird Lane” pilot, it has a beginning, middle and an end. It’s an emotional story of a family told in such an unconventional way, and with so many different tools that we have at our disposal because it’s The Munsters and not a regular family unit… If we get a huge number, all the cast are in line to be picked up and to go to series. And that was one of the things that NBC wanted to make sure, that they had all of the cast deals in line — so that if we did get a big number and audiences proved their appetite for this type of show, that they could move very quickly.

TVGM: It sounded like there was a debate over what to do with “Mockingbird.” What were the options?

Fuller: Every conversation I had with [NBC Entertainment president] Jennifer Salke was, “I believe in this show.” It’s about really trying to understand who the audience is. What is the best way to present something that you haven’t presented before? There is caution on that front, but there was also tremendous support to get it out there and to get people to see it and have them make it up their own minds. There were options like going on in the spring. And I’m happy about coming on in Halloween. When we were filming [the pilot] in July, I said, “We should sneak this at Halloween. We should make this a Halloween event and get it out there.” It is a Halloween show. It belongs in the autumn.

Related Story: New Images From Mockingbird Lane Look Like Anything But The Munsters

TVGM: You’ve got a busy schedule and are focused right now on “Hannibal.” When would you be able to turn your attention to “Mockingbird”?

Fuller: The idea would be, in success, to start at the beginning of July to go to series. I would complete my work on “Hannibal” in mid-February and then segue immediately to “Mockingbird Lane” to get things ready to start shooting by July, should we be so fortunate to go to series.

TVGM: You were given additional script orders this summer. Have those been written?

Fuller: We have outlines for three episodes, which are ready to go should we go to series. We charted out a six-episode arc and have outlines for three of them. We just need the trigger pulled to get going.

TVGM: What do those episodes focus on?

Fuller: Every episode focuses on a different member of the family in a great way. Lily is going through this huge arc of, “I was living my life a certain way because I thought my child was a certain way. Now that my child has changed, do I change?” So she’s having an identity crisis. It’s all about your identity and family. So each of those individual episodes are all family stories about characters trying to find their place within the larger group. In different ways because they’re monsters.

TVGM: And, I assume, adjusting to their new home and neighborhood on Mockingbird Lane.

Fuller: Yes, so there’s a great neighborhood watch episode. There’s what happens when the Creature from the Black Lagoon shows up and puts challenges on Herman’s and Lily’s relationship. That’s a tremendous amount of fun. I was bolstered by the success of “Once Upon a Time” because it took the fantastic elements of fairy tales and brought them to this parallel world of storytelling. We’re able to bring in all the fantastic elements of the Universal monster family and tell those stories in new and relatable ways. I really see a connection between those two shows. The audience has demonstrated an appetite for “Once Upon a Time” and would certainly find “Mockingbird Lane” a very tasty dish.

“Mockingbird Lane” is a reinvention of the 1960s sitcom about “The Munsters,” a family of “monsters” — vampires, werewolves and Frankenstein — and their “plain” cousin that will feature striking visuals in the vein of Fuller’s ABC dramedy “Pushing Daisies.”

Portia DeRossi and Jerry O’Connell star as Lily and Herman Munster, Eddie Izzard as Grandpa, Mason Cook as Eddie, and Charity Wakefield as Marilyn.

New Images From Mockingbird Lane Look Like Anything But The Munsters

VISIT THE EVILSHOP @ AMAZON!
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Celebrate family in the comments section below!

Image Type 1:

Comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

News

Let’s Talk About the Future of Friday the 13th

Published

on

C.J. Graham

While we all sit around and wait for rights issues and what not to resolve so we can get another entry in the Friday the 13th series, maybe we should just keep looking ahead ourselves and asking any and everyone what they think the should lie in the future.

Well, Daily Dead agrees and recently had a talk with C.J. Gramham (Jason from Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives) about just that, and he had some interesting thoughts.

I don’t get into the politics,” Graham said. “But as an arm to a quarterback, looking at the series, I’m hoping that in the future—when they may go ahead and start shooting one, two, or three of them—they do it sequentially, utilizing the same Jason and similarities between the directors and the writers, so the scripts have some continuity.”

He continues: “I also think they should definitely rebuild the iconic image of Jason into something that nobody has ever seen because it’s ready for that consistency, similar to the Harry Potter series. There was a formula that started, they stayed with the formula, they stayed true to the formula, and look at what it’s become.”

What do you think of C.J. Graham’s ideas about the future of the Friday the 13th series? Make sure to hit us up and let us know what you think in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram!

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives:

Years ago, Tommy Jarvis (Thom Mathews) killed infamous hockey-masked murderer Jason Voorhees (C.J. Graham), and the intensity of the experience has landed him in a mental institution. To end his torment and achieve a level of closure, Tommy escapes from the hospital and heads to the graveyard where Jason is buried, intending to dig up the body and cremate it. But, before this total annihilation can occur, a freak electrical accident resurrects Jason from the dead, and the terror begins anew.

Comments

Continue Reading

News

Fred Ward Joins Kevin Bacon in Tremors TV Series?

Published

on

There seems to be a lot of Tremors love floating around lately as not only do we have a new film on the way called Tremors: Cold Day in Hell, but we also have Tremors: The TV Series starring Kevin Bacon coming soon as well.

And speaking of the Kevin Bacon Tremors: The TV Series, today we have a rumor via TremorsGuide that Fred Ward will be joining in on the Graboid fun along with Bacon.

The news (rumor) comes from a tweet director Richard Clark (Outlander, Doctor Who) posted the other day where he says, “Universal shooting 8-part TV Tremors this summer with Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward! I’m begging to direct! Scripts a lot of fun.”

This is by no means anything close to confirmation that the new series will feature the return of Fred Ward, but Clark is within “the inner circle” as it were and that counts for something!

We’ll let you know as soon as we hear anything concrete on Ward’s involvement with the series but until then make sure to hit us up and let us know what you think in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram!

Tremors: The TV Series is headed our way courtesy of Jason Blum’s Blumhouse TV and Universal Cable Prods. It’s written by Andrew Miller and stars Kevin Bacon.

Synopsis:

The killer Graboid worms that nearly destroyed Perfection, NV, 25 years ago are back; and the town’s only hope for survival is Valentine McKee (Bacon), who beat them once. But to do it again he’ll have to overcome age, alcohol, and a delusional hero complex.

Comments

Continue Reading

News

Rest in Peace: WWE Legend Bruno Sammartino

Published

on

11 Years. 4,040 Days total. That’s how long wrestling legend Bruno Sammartino held his two WWWF titles combined under the watchful eye of Vince McMahon, Sr. The promotion would eventually become known as the WWF and now the WWE. His first title reign of 2,803 days remains a record, and I doubt anyone will ever break it. Hell, I doubt anyone will ever even come close. It was a different time. Some would say a better time.

It is with a truly heavy heart that we report that after some recent health complications, Sammartino has passed on at age 82 at his Pittsburgh home.

Sammartino did it all in his career, from in-ring action to color commentator. In 2012 he turned to acting and appeared in John (Night of the Living Dead) Russo’s 2013 film The Mob Boss and the Soul Singer, starring alongside Chuck Corby, Quiet Storm, and Debbie Rochon.

He’ll always be known as “The Living Legend” to fans, even after his passing. His legacy will continue to live on, as will his mythos. There was no one like him, and there likely never will be again. We here at Dread Central would like to take this time to offer our sincerest of condolences to Bruno’s family, friends, and constituents.

Bless you, sir. Rest easy.

Comments

Continue Reading

Go Ad Free!

Support Dread Central on Patreon!
Advertisement
Advertisement

Recent Comments

Advertisement

Join the Box of Dread Mailing List

* indicates required

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Dread Central Media LLC