Trailer for Latest Killer Shark Flick, The Reef Surfaces

The official trailer for Andrew (Black Water) Traucki’s new Australian killer shark flick, The Reef, has been unleashed, and we didn't even have to chum the waters!

Synopsis:
For four backpackers it seemed like a dream come true. A week cruising the world's most beautiful coral reef on their own yacht. But when their boat capsizes, leaving them stranded on an overturned hull, the dream turns into a nightmare. What should they do? Stay with a damaged hull that could sink at any moment, or try to swim for land? Finally deciding to swim, the friends take to the water. As they close in on land, a fin surfaces and with it the realization that they are being stalked by a deadly fifteen-foot white pointer shark. Will any of them make the swim, or will the sea take what it wants?

Check out the trailer below, and look for the flick from Lightning Entertainment later this year. Big thanks to DC reader Avery for the heads-up!

- By Uncle Creepy

Float on into the Dread Central forums!

James Coker's picture

That is a Damn Good Observation Cinemascribe, and I completely Agree with you on the fact that Jaws 2 is a very underrated sequel and Terminal I'm not saying Deep Blue Sea is amazing, there are many reasons to hate that film, I just had a lot of fun with it

Submitted by James Coker on Sun, 06/06/2010 - 1:46pm.
James Coker's picture

I'll Check this one out, but like Tshoffie said, probrably another open water bore fest, and Tshoffie DEEP BLUE SEA was a good shark movie....okay maybe not completely good but definitly a FUN decent Shark Film miles better then open water or anything on the syfy channel

Submitted by James Coker on Sat, 06/05/2010 - 3:55pm.
Tshoffie's picture

Lol i had forgotten about Deep blue sea...it was ok i just thought the Cgi in it was terrible

Submitted by Tshoffie on Sun, 06/06/2010 - 2:12am.
Vanvance1's picture

Another 'Serial Killer Shark' <--- Title up for grabs.

I just can't get into this... how long has it been since we had a good one?

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Fri, 06/04/2010 - 7:51pm.
Cinemascribe's picture

The last truly effective killer shark movie released (in my opinion) was Jaws 2, a sequel I think is vastly underrated. Yeah, they overdid it with the shark,shots and some of those teenagers were annoying little shits, but Roy Scheider gave a truly mesmerizing performance and the movie manages to generate a surprising amount of suspense. Two scenes which I always felt were exceptional examples of how to stage a shark attack on film are the assault on the Tina's Joy(which culminated in the iconic moment where Eddie is dragged by the shark face first into the side of the boat) and the scene where Sean Brody watches in horror as the shark rises from the water to snatch and devour the woman he is sailing with. The electrocution scene is pretty damned spectacular as well.

Beyond that, it's all been pretty mediocre. I thought Deep Blue Sea was moderately entertaining. I don't love it, I don't loathe it. It's a halfway decent time-filler on a rainy afternoon when there's nothing on and I've already recently revisited all of my better DVD's. Open Water wasn't all that. I usually enjoy films that are less about gore and more about suspense and creating dread, but I thought that flick was overrated and dull. I never bothered with the sequel.

I won't watch The Reef because it appears to be to Open Water what The Last Shark (aka Great white) was to the original Jaws- some minor tweaking aside, a barefaced ripoff that only changes the name.

As long as I'm ranting,I'm going to comment on two continual errors filmmakers make in this horror sub-genre that piss me off to no end (the second of which this trailer is actually guilty of):

1) Either referring to their new shark movie as being "the most terrifying film of it's kind since Jaws" or using in their trailer for the film a quote from a critic who says the same thing . Message to film makers: I don't care whether or not this film is the scariest shark movie since Jaws. Most shark movies since Jaws have been sub par..so that doesn't tell me much. Plus, mentioning Jaws in the marketing for your new film is likely going to produce the opposite effect: I will skip on your movie and just watch my DVD of Jaws again, exponentially increasing my chances of watching a GOOD film.

2) Telling us that your film is based on a true story (which this trailer informs us of early on). So fucking what? Hey, I live in South Florida. Every other week we hear about someone who had a run in with a shark. If a film maker decided to make a movie about the body surfing pre- -teen who had her ankle nipped by a nurse shark in the surf at Juno Beach last May, that would also technically be a true story...but it doesn't mean I want to sit through the damned thing. Just focus on making a good, original film instead of trying to generate pre-release drama over the fact that it actually happened, especially since a ten minute internet search will almost certainly reveal that the actual series of events which inspired the film bore remarkably few similarities to what 's happening on the screen.
--------------
"I'm saying that I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man...and loved it. But now the dream is over..and the insect is awake." - Seth Brundle

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Sun, 06/06/2010 - 4:00am.
Tshoffie's picture

I think Jaws was the last killer shark movie that was good..this movie looks like its gonna be another open water shit fest

Submitted by Tshoffie on Sat, 06/05/2010 - 4:58am.
FireRam's picture

I liked "Deep Blue Sea". I thought the action was fun,effects good, and you got a laugh or two. Other than that one,you're pretty much correct.

Is this movie called "The Reef" or "Open Water 3: The Snoozefest Continues"?

-------------------------------------------------------
Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is.

Submitted by FireRam on Sat, 06/05/2010 - 2:41pm.

I fucking hated Deep Blue Sea, and I'm a huge Thom Jane fan.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 06/06/2010 - 2:13am.